Slimy Shower Curtain

https://pixabay.com/en/frogs-bathroom-funny-cute-frog-1517939/
Our plastic shower curtains used to be slimy and sticky. Detergent and bleach never completely removed the reddish brown stains and tiny black spots at the bottom. When we got new shower curtains, I searched the net on how to avoid these. One was to stretch out the shower curtain so that it's always dry, so now I always check it when I go to the toilet. It was only this week that I tried the second tip and was relieved that it worked. It was to wash the plastic shower curtain with towels, detergent and baking soda in the washing machine. Do you have shower curtains or a glass partition? How do you clean it?
We do not have shower curtains we have fiberglass panels, glass is too dangerous.
i didn't know there are fiberglass dividers. that's good. is it easier to clean?
@hereandthere Yes, you clean the dividers exactly as you clean the glass.
The glass is safety glass, it has to be.
@wiLLmaH (8158)
• Singapore, Singapore
We do have a glass partition. Every two weeks, husband do the cleaning of those. He uses Mr. Muscle and detergent to scrub off the blemishes.
it's good that you have "division of labor" hehe. has he found a new job already?
@wiLLmaH (8158)
• Singapore, Singapore
Not yet @hereandthere. We are still praying for it.
@wiLLmaH hope it happens soon.
@Dextoi (1967)
Plastic shower curtains are a pain to clean. We had those years ago but decided to replace them with glass partition. The glass ones were easier to clean and needs less maintenance if you wash them well with water after every bath.
we don't have a glass partition, so we still need shower curtains.
@Dextoi (1967)
@hereandthere I guess you just need to make sure there are no soap suds left on them... :) but I think they accumulate more dirt that the glass
@Dextoi that's okay. we have two so just alternate.
Good thing we don't have a shower partition. But in my parents, in the bathroom by the dining room, they have a shower curtain. But now they removed it. I don't know why. Maybe it's hard to wash too, I will suggest to them your advise that you learned from the internet.
it should always be dry so it should always be stretched out after anyone has showered.
@hereandthere I agree.
We have shower curtains and we kept on changing once a stain appears. Like you, we had a hard time cleaning it. Now that you mentioned tips on how to clean it, maybe I should try it. But for now, our shower curtain is still new. I should wait when it gets slimy.
for now, tell everyone to stretch out the shower curtain after their shower. the key is to always keep it dry. when i started seeing the tiny black spots, that's when i tried washing it with the towels, detergent and baking soda.
@hereandthere Okay. Thanks for sharing your tip. It helps a lot.
We used to use shower curtains. But it does have stains for quite sometimes.The family decided not to use anymore.
sometimes i feel like doing away with it, too.
@hereandthere Since I am living in the mountain, it is a common problem.
That's pretty interesting. I would never have considered putting them in the washing machine.
apparently, the towels and baking soda are supposed to "scrub" the shower curtain while they're tumbling about in the washing machine.
@ridingbet (33426)
we spread the shower curtains when we use the bathroom. the curtains should also be spread after bath so they dry up.
we didn't before.
We have the partition, but I don't think it's glass. Some kind of plastic, I think. That clear part isn't the hard part to keep clean, it's the metal around it and the bottom metal area where it's not easy to get as the doors slide. If anything I air out the bathroom as much as possible and wipe them down often. I don't like to use cleaning products with all the chemicals, so I use baking soda, vinegar and water.
@ShifaLk (7313)
No, it's not here much But that's a nice trick...
• Portland, Connecticut
I have showers with doors so I don't have shower curtains.
@Nawsheen (22907)
• Mauritius
In fact we have glass partitions and this is quite easy to clean. You have special detergents sold in the supermarkets for that purpose
When I used a shower curtain I bought cheap one and threw them out - no washing. We had glass doors and they are more work than I like - especially to clean the track. This house has a walk in tile shower - no curtain no door.
@shivamani10 (9393)
• Hyderabad, India
washing shower curtains with towels is interesting. I generally rub them with any face cream of any kind whenever I find such markets on the shower curtains.
rubbing face cream on shower curtains to clean them? does it work?