Hole in the Floor

There is still a big hole in the floor of our bathroom. It is right in front of the washing machine. So, needless to say I haven't done laundry this week. Have to gather up the dirty laundry and head to town. Hopefully the laundry mat that I go to won't be packed. Being the weekend I highly doubt I'll be lucky enough to have it to myself. My daughter is going along with us so I don't have to chase Little Miss all over the place. Can't see her standing still while I load washers, dryers, and then fold clothes. Hoping the hole in the floor is fixed today. Have to treat the area with bleach before I leave for today. Need to insure that this mold is done with. Still not feeling the best today. Allergies are bad. Have a good day everyone. May your floors be safe.
@TheSojourner (17479)
How did you end up with a hole in front of the washer?
The floor rotted from a leak in the drain pipe of the tub. Didn't notice it until it was too late. He had to remove the rotted wood and let it dry out. Replaced the tub. Eventually we will need a new toilet too.
@ElusiveButterfly just dig a hole in the backyard and cover it up from time to time
@CoralLevang LOL! Yeah, I would have preferred an outhouse over the hole in the floor....well, it is kinda the same thing.
That doesn't sound too good. Mould is terrible to deal with isn't it?
I am allergic to mold and having that hole open to air out and dry, the mold is bothering me quite a bit.
@moffittjc (41295)
• Gainesville, Florida
I assume the hole was caused by a leak? Did the wood rot out, or did you cut out the area to remove the damaged wood? You're very smart to bleach the area to remove any traces of mold. I wonder if there is mold where the hole is, and if that is what is causing your allergies to flare up?
Hi Jeff! The hole was caused by a leaky drain and it ran under the floorboards. We didn't notice it until the floor got weak. By then the water was visibly running down the outside of the tub along the floor. When he ripped up the flooring it was evident that there was mold from the moisture. Yay!
@moffittjc (41295)
• Gainesville, Florida
@ElusiveButterfly Well I sure hope you can get rid of all that mold. That's nothing to mess with, and it can cause all kinds of respiratory problems.
@moffittjc I put out quite a bit of bleach into the area. When he gets ready to replace the floor I am going to by a heavy duty treatment.
I hope the hole gets fixed soon Elusive..I know it bothers you and why wouldn't it. Your daughter is with you today?
My oldest daughter was going with us, but she was exhausted from insomnia. So we ventured alone. It actually went quite well.
@ElusiveButterfly Oh yes I see Elusive. Well glad it went well then.
@TiarasOceanView I was worried about being alone with the Little Miss. She has so much energy. But, I have a walking harness for her so she can't dart off.
Hope you are able to get it fixed soon and that the mold problem will be done with. Good luck at the laundromat today.. hope it isn't too busy.
There weren't that many people there. We were able to get the job done without problems. Almost had to wait for a dryer though. Thankfully a gentleman offered his when he was finished.
@ElusiveButterfly that is good that you were able to get it done quickly.
@Happy2BeMe it was nice to have clothes that were not stiff! That is the drawback of having to hang them to air dry. If our dryer were hooked up I could toss them in for a few minutes to soften them up and remove the wrinkles.
@BarBaraPrz (19418)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Bleach? I thought you were going to use concrobium... I hope the floor is all fixed by the time you get home. If not, give the fixer ten lashes with a wet noodle from me.
I still plan on getting the concrobium, have to get to Home Depot for that. Really didn't feel up to it these past few days. I did pour the bleach around the area. Didn't want to soak it though. It has been drying out.
@BarBaraPrz (19418)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@ElusiveButterfly I understand. Home Depot for me is either a long walk or a convoluted bus ride and short walk for me.
@BarBaraPrz now that the hole is covered with a piece of scrap plywood it isn't so bad. But, I still want the treatment so I can get rid of the mold.
Sorry you are suffering from allergies. So annoying you have to deal with those with everything else going on. Once that hole is fixed, then things will go more smoothly.
He worked at the farm all day today. Tomorrow he will be off for a bow shooting competition. So, I guess it won't happen until Monday.
@ElusiveButterfly I do hope Monday is the day!
@Corbin5 I wish it were done a week ago. LOL.
By now, I'm hoping the mold is gone and you are feeling better. What a disaster all around!
I am slowly getting better. Still don't have my voice back to what it was though. Forget about sleeping all night, I wake up coughing. Sick of this crap.
@ElusiveButterfly I'm so sorry. This, too, shall pass.
@DianneN I hope soon, because this is getting old quick!
@josie_ (6573)
How did the hole in the floor happen? Accidental or material fatigue?
A leaky tub rotted the floor.
@josie_ (6573)
@ElusiveButterfly _That would be a major repair job and expensive.
@josie_ it is a small bathroom. My husband does our repairs so we don't have to pay anyone. The only cost is the materials. The tub was the most expensive item so far.
@Tracy04 (10575)
So far it's safe and hopefully it stand for a few years more..
Once he finishes the floor it should be fine.
@Tracy04 (10575)
@ElusiveButterfly Glad to hear that.
I hope you get that whole fixed.
It is covered with a piece of scrap plywood for now. Hubby won't have time to work on it tomorrow. Hoping Monday he can get it finished.
@ElusiveButterfly .......Hope it gets done soon.
Thjaynhappened to my mom once when they were fixing a sewage problem in our basement and put the freezer in front of the washer, so my mom had to go to the laundry mat a few times!I hope it isn;t packed and everything turns out alright! Ince time they shut off our hot water and once we had our gas shut off for a gas leak and she had to go to the laundry mat the as our dryer is gas operated!
It was actually not too bad at the laundromat. We were in and out in about 90 minutes.
@ElusiveButterfly that isn't bad for a weekend! I bet it put your mind to rest you went and got out of there in a short amount of time
Good luck. Hope your allergies clear up.
With every day that passes I am getting better.
How did the hole appeared? IsnĀ“t it concrete?
It is a wood floor and we had a leak in our bathtub that we didn't notice until the floor gave way. My husband tore up the old flooring so it could air dry.
Hope you get the laundry all done and it's not too busy. I sure do understand about the allergies.
It wasn't too busy, thankfully! My daughter was not feeling well so I had to deal with a rambunctious 2 year old on my own. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. LOL.
I hate laundromats. I worked maintenance at one for 4 years, that was enough for me.
Oh I wish I didn't have to go today! I don't like sitting amongst a bunch of strangers as they watch me fold my unmentionables.