Air-Conditioning: A ''Luxury'' I Had Convinced Myself was 'a Necessity Like Water'

http://moviewriternyu.wordpress.com/2013/05/31/heat-miser-returns-turns-maine-into-sweaty-sauna
@mythociate (13822)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I always thought "72 degrees" was the official 'room-temperature,' so naturally I usually keep my thermostat at '72 degrees.' Then I read about OG&E's smart-hours https://oge.com/wps/portal/oge/save-energy/smarthours/ and they suggest "pre-cooling"---setting your thermostat a few degrees lower after-&-before 'the peak hours,' then setting it a few degrees 'too high' in the peak hours (so you're charged the low rate for the large-use and you don't use as much energy during the high-rate hours). But my roommate notices me doing this, and stops me. She explains that our house is 'pre-cooled' all year, due to the fact that most Oklahomans normally set their thermostats to temperatures like 78 or 80 ... or aren't using their air-conditioners at all! OH, THE HUMANITY!
@Tracy04 (10696)
Don't have ac at our house though.
@mythociate (13822)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
And I'm glad you don't feel like you're "going without." I suppose I feel the same way rich kids feel when they learn that 'very few people' have servants living nearby to do their cooking & cleaning & laundry & baby-sitting & driving.
Never knew of the pre-cooling stage. Will have to try this out.
@mythociate (13822)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Check if your electricity-provider charges different rates at different times-of-the-day.
@mythociate I don't think that is the case here in Manila but I have to double-check it.
@mandala100 (25004)
@mythociate It's good that you realized the right setting of the temperatures my friend.
@mythociate (13822)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Oh, I always knew the "right" setting (I actually though it was a couple degrees above 'what Wikipedia says'). I think the word you mean there is 'more-common' setting, right?
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search Mercury-in-glass thermometer for measurement of room temperature Colloquially, room temperature is the range of temperatures that people prefer for indoor settings, at which the air feels ne
@mandala100 (25004)
@mythociate Yes my friend and that's right.