Sometimes I really hate computers

Sick computer
@Asylum (48292)
Manchester, England
I have been a passionate lover of computers for many years now, but they can become very annoying when they choose to behave badly. My system has headphone audio jacks on the front fascia, which disables the speakers and reroutes the audio to the speakers. For some bizarre reason the headphones suddenly ceased working. I checked the selected default playback device, which was still showing as Sound Blaster Z series, but that was clearly not the case. The audio jacks appeared in good condition, but the audio to the speakers was unaffected when I plugged them in. I know that this cannot happen, but apparently my computer was not aware of that. Since everything showed that the headphones should be working there seemed only one possibility, which would be that a Windows update has overwritten it. I visited the Creative worldwide support centre and downloaded the latest software and driver package, which was written in March of this year and should therefore be compatible with Windows 10. After installing the package and rebooting the computer my audio was routed back via the headphones, even without any further adjustment. This tends to confirm my suspicion that a Windows update was responsible, but that would be difficult for me to confirm.
I think we are never wrong supposing that Windows is the responsible of the bad behaving of our computer.
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
The one problem with Windows 10 is that we cannot control the updates. This can potentially override proprietary software and revert our settings.
@Asylum I know and this is an annoying imposition by Microsoft.
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck Yes, it is my computer and the choice of hardware and software is mine.
As Colonel Klink says, I know nothink
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
I sometimes suspect that I know the same.
@Asylum It's terrible all the aggro with Windows updates.
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
@TiarasOceanView Most of the aggro is due to the updates being compulsive.
@dodo19 (31317)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
It can be really frustrating when they decide to act up. It really annoys me.
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
It becomes even more annoying when you know that the computer cannot do what it appears to be doing.
@dodo19 (31317)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@Asylum Very true.
@vandana7 (61151)
Aw...so let us see if it really is. @DaddyEvil, can you let us know? Or @JolietJake perhaps. Who else can I call..I turn to these two when we have technical issues.
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
I do believe that this is favourite because otherwise the headphone jacks should have worked fine. This was recognised as a potential problem from day one with Windows 10.
I think you are right. I had had a Windows update one time a few months ago and right after that I went to watch a Netflix movie. Usually when I put the disc in the computer brings up the the movie software. This time it didn't. So I live chatted with Windows tech support. The tech uploaded the software to my computer and I have been using it ever since. You really have to watch Windows.
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
A similar thing happens with my media streaming. Updates often reset the system and I have to manually reactivate it.
@Asylum ......Ugh! Do you think that is due to Windows again?
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
@celticeagle This is surely a Windows idiosyncracy. It took me a while to realise when it first occurred.
@Jackalyn (6616)
• Oxford, England
I like Linux so much better. I am sure I could have the same kind of problems, but somehow sorting them is more fun! Never in a million years do I want Windows as an OS ever again.
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
Linux is an excellent operating system, but I still keep reverting to Windows. With Linux you always have the option to run the computer as you choose without the system interfering in any way.
@topffer (32843)
• France
Linux is far to be perfect when it comes to sound. I had serious problems when Microsoft forced people to use the buggy Pulse Audio server library to continue to use Skype under Linux. Pulse Audio comes with Ubuntu, but it is quite the only important distro making use of it I was using only Alsa without any overlayer, and adding a Pulse Audio server has not been that easy, I have had to write all the configuration files for my sound system...
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
@topffer I have not had sound issues with Linux, but I do not use Skype either.
I still work with Window 7 and have no intention of changing.
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
Windows 7 was an excellent operating system, but it is becoming a little dated now.
@BarBaraPrz (19031)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Ah, computers! Much like anything else, "new and improved" isn't always...
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
Exactly, the overwriting of proprietary software has been the main concern about Windows 10 since it's introduction.
@DaddyEvil (23405)
• Aurora, Missouri
Apparently, that is a known issue with some Win10 updates, Koalemos! I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to check to see if it was caused by an update applied by Microsoft, either! Luckily, the creators have already admitted the updates will cause problems with some computers. (I didn't bother reading anything after they admitted updates were causing audio problems with some pc's. I didn't see any reason to read further. I don't use Win10 and am having no problems with any of my pc's.)
Some users who upgraded their PCs to Windows 10 Creators Update v1703 have been reporting various random problems.
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
The most confusing aspect for me was that the insertion of the audio jack did not override the speakers. It would have made more sense to me if the speakers were disengaged but the audio for the headphones did not work.
@DaddyEvil (23405)
• Aurora, Missouri
@Asylum The update just disconnected a virtual switch. I have heard of that happening when someone switched their pc from Windows (7) to one of the Linux O/S. (IDK which one, anymore.) At the time it drove us to distraction! I don't listen to music or anything except the sound on a movie, but my buddy does listen to music ALL THE TIME! SMH! (I swear, he is an idiot! Not for listening to music, but because he didn't/doesn't know enough about a computer to switch between the O/S but tried to do it anyway. Then roped me into wasting 4 days trying to figure out what he did wrong!) At least yours is fixed! LOL!
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
@DaddyEvil I have often used Ubuntu without having any audio issues, but obviously such instances would be the exception rather than the rule. It was amusing in the early days when it was necessary to use Ndiswrapper to utilise Windows drivers under Linux, but fortunately those days have passed.
I don't have problems with updates because I don't do anything tricky. Glad you are good to go again.
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
I often work on the basis that the more complicated uses of a computer are the most fun.
@Asylum It is fun to unravel a problem. Very much like a puzzle.
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
@Jeanniemaries Yes it can be entertaining at times, but also frustrating at some time.
It was a good job you knew what's what with the problem.If it were me,I would be at a loss to know how to do.It is so happened that Today my flat panel LCD screen breaks down after working 12 years.I have no choice but to buy a new one.
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
I trust that you have checked the obvious before making such a decision, such as checking the fuse in the power plug.
@Asylum I did do that before asking a computer technician for help,technician determined that the flat panel LCD screen broke down.
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
@changjiangzhibin89 Oh dear, they are not cheap to replace.
@garymarsh6 (13102)
These updates usually upset my computer too. Most annoying and frustrating!
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
Yes, Microsoft seem determined to irritate us at all costs.
@garymarsh6 (13102)
@Asylum Yes and it always seems to be with the speakers going kaput.
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
@garymarsh6 I refuse to let Microsoft dictate to me. It is my computer not Microsoft's.
@Inlemay (16470)
• South Africa
Since I have no knowledge of computers other than my typing speed of 75 wpm . . . thank you for the information. I do have windows updates cause many distortions now and then, but my clever son always comes to the rescue.
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
Many people these days rely on younger family members to sort out computer issues.
@Inlemay (16470)
• South Africa
@Asylum I accept that I fall into that category
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
@Inlemay So do most of my friends.
@Farcha (686)
Sometimes, I am blocked with my computer, it is very complicated to understand the damage source. I am still using Windows 7, I think I get used to this version.
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
Windows 7 is a good operating system, but it is rapidly becoming dated.
@Farcha (686)
@Asylum Yes, you are right.
@mrblake (68)
• Jetersville, Virginia
I am glad you got it fixed I was going to suggest the same thing to update the drivers
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
Windows 10 is notorious for problematic updates, although they are improving these days.
• Dallas, Texas
Some changes require a reboot. That is all. Not sure about the output on yours.
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
Many updates require a reboot, but depending on the hardware and software configuration it may reset some settings.
@depromise (245)
• Lagos, Nigeria
yea is always annoying especially when you have loads of work to do with d computer.
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
It is when you are busy that it is more likely to happen.
@YrNemo (10476)
The recent Windows update did a few weird things to my laptop too, one was the background colour I had chosen (used to be dark blue/purple, now it is an ugly grey). Don't know why they have to force us to update like that (something to do with some new setting software they said).
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
That is easy enough to change back, but still annoying.
I've finally broken the iphone stranglehold and am on Android! No more fruit from the Garden of Eden for me :)
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
I have never liked iPhones.
I like computers, I have used them for both work and personal stuff, however I am not a techie so when strange things happen I am lost. I sometimes wonder if updates and downloads are really necessary, but so far things have been working good. Probably should kick myself for saying because now something is sure to go wrong.
@Asylum (48292)
• Manchester, England
I can usually deal with whatever problems occur, whether hardware or software related. However, prior to Microsoft introducing compulsory updates I would pick and choose which to install.