Some acting jobs are better than others

Pixabay free image
Eugene, Oregon
All jobs are like that of course, but really, for "extras" work, most of it is un-glamorous background stuff, providing a body to fill a space during the filming of a commercial. That was my job Tuesday when a series of six commercials was being filmed for an urgent care clinic in Vancouver, Washington, about twenty miles north of Portland. As it turned out, I did not have to be there until 9 AM, but morning traffic is a wild card, so I left at 5 :50 AM. It turned out to be a long day. I got home at 7:30 PM. Breakfast and lunch were catered and very good. Extras not being used waited under a canopy with folding chairs and tables. As the day grew hotter and the air smokier (many forest fires), it was not so pleasant. Temperatures reached the mid-90s. Finally at nearly 5 PM, it was a wrap, we were given checks and headed home. My two hour trip home took about an extra forty minutes due to rush hour traffic. On the upside, besides getting paid, I met several nice people and found out about a new casting agency that is getting a lot of work. I will sign up there today. I elected to wait on seeing my daughter until Friday, when I will go up and spend the night at her house.
All in all a long day but glad you got lunch and paid James. What was it you did exactly? Good you can see your daughter on Friday then. Fantastic you found another agency too.
• Eugene, Oregon
I sat reading a magazine in a waiting room for one and stood at a coffee machine for another.
@JamesHxstatic Cool..wish I could see you lol
Good luck with the new casting agency. I hope you get a lot of jobs through them.
• Eugene, Oregon
Thanks, Judy!
Long hot day, but at least you will get paid and, made some connections.
• Eugene, Oregon
That's for sure. It was very worthwhile.
Besides the heat and waiting it sounds like it was a good day. That's good. =)
• Eugene, Oregon
It really was.
It was worth the bit of hassle I should think.
• Eugene, Oregon
I was happy with the end result. The new casting site should be great.
@Platespinner (19241)
Theatre work invariably involves a lot of waiting around as well. At least in my experience.
• Eugene, Oregon
It always does I know.
@sallypup (24489)
• Moses Lake, Washington
How cool though your waiting around sounds like it could be boring. And that traffic. I wish you safe travels.
• Eugene, Oregon
Thanks for that wish!
@sallypup (24489)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@JamesHxstatic We're headed back to the Albany area this Spring though the Portland area traffic gives me the Willies. I bet you know the answer to this question: Is Lebanon, Oregon super far from the Albany area? I think they have bus service. I'm guessing its far due to the lower prices of houses there.
• Eugene, Oregon
@sallypup It is only about 18 miles. Lebanon is a nice little community too. Corvallis is a few miles the other way from Albany.
@divalounger (2263)
Aside from the smoke and heat, it sounds like a pleasant enough day and you get paid! Love that!
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, you never know what will happen when you accept one of these jobs,
@JamesHxstatic How do you keep yourself occupied during the down time on the set?
• Eugene, Oregon
@divalounger I bring something to read or just chat with the other extras and compare experiences.
@dollaboy (6261)
Sounds like a eventful day. Yeah its the traffic which wastes a lot of our time. I hope you get more acting assignments soon
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, I signed up on the new site today, so we will see what happens.
@dollaboy (6261)
@JamesHxstatic Wishing you all the best
• Eugene, Oregon
@dollaboy Hey, thank you!
My tattoo artist was in TLC's very first commercial for Trading Spaces, and played a Mummy for their Mummy Week.
This is one of my favorite commercials, both because of the fun I had on the shoot & because of how much I love the end product. This is also a sort of previ...
• Eugene, Oregon
Great commercial there! Cool!
@JamesHxstatic - He actually was a pro wrestler.
• Eugene, Oregon
@teamfreak16 I wondered, with that physique!
Most glamorous Jobs really weren't in the long run, but I think it would be fun to see yourself in commercials.
• Eugene, Oregon
It is always a bit strange when one runs or someone I know sees me in one.
@JamesHxstatic My son was an extra once. My friend and I stopped to watch a movie being made on location and we had our 6 year old children with us. Someone came over and asked if the children could be extras. We both agreed and it was fun to watch them running through the scene as instructed. They did a good job. It was a HBO movie but since I didn't subscribe, I never saw the move.
Good for you. How much that a gig like this pays? If you don't mind me asking.
• Eugene, Oregon
It is usually about $150 or more. I decline anything under $100 since it is quite a drive.
@JamesHxstatic that makes sense. Thanks for answering my question. Hope you get more acting jobs your way.
Sounds like a great new hobby for you. Interesting and fun.
• Eugene, Oregon
It has been a fun thing to do since I discovered someone looking for man to play a sheriff on CL a few years back. That was where I saw the audition for the Bad Exorcists movie as well.
@JamesHxstatic .....Sounds like a fun adventure.
@Gillygirl (16437)
• Sutton, England
Sorry you had a lot of waiting around in uncomfortable conditions. Good you found this casting agency. Hope you get work.
• Eugene, Oregon
It will be good if I do, but not terrible if I do not. I treat it as a hobby really.
That was a very long day
• Eugene, Oregon
It was a bit long since I decided to drive home.
@Mrgana1 (301)
• Nigeria
Best of luck in New pursuit, I am sure if you have the required talent and experience you will get it. Remember us here when the cash flows in.
• Eugene, Oregon
Thank you! Trickles in maybe.
@rachael5760 (2598)
• Israel
This sounds like a good use of a day. How often do you do this type of work? Can you really make a living and pay all your bills doing this full time? Congrats on being so creative with your time.
• Eugene, Oregon
Not very often really, but I am hoping with this new casting agency to get more calls. Since I am retired, it is sort of an unusual hobby that pays occasionally. Perhaps if I lived in Los Angeles there would be more opportunity, but, I would have to live in Los Angeles. There was one man there who gets a lot a work and had a recurring role as a police officer on a series filmed in Portland called Grimm (over now), but he does pretty well and lives much closer than I. It is a hundred mile drive for me.
@vandana7 (59038)
Oh so you will be seen in a commercial, even if as an extra..Great!!! Can we see that commercial? :)
• Eugene, Oregon
I suspect it will only run in the state of Washington, since that urgent care place does not operate where I live. If I find a way that the Bad Exoricsts movie can be widely seen when it is released to TV, I will share that info.
Sounds like an extremely long day. Wow. And thats good to have that experience and get your name put there with that agency. Good job!
• Eugene, Oregon
My acting resume is growing.
Glad to hear you were in the commercial and signed up for another agency. I heard about that awful weather and smoke. At least you can relax and enjoy the time with your daughter!
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, it should be fun!