The Legend

@moffittjc (32766)
Gainesville, Florida
I am pretty humble and nonchalant when it comes to my life. But, in the course of my work, I meet a lot of people. Relationship-building is important, and I cherish each of the connections I have made. With that in mind, last night I held our annual end-of-the-summer cookout for all of my lifeguards. For those that aren't aware, I work in a local parks and recreation department for the municipality I live in; part of my duties includes managing all the city's public swimming pools. Anyway, because our pools don't close until 9:00pm, we held our annual get-together from 9-11pm at one of our pools. My management team and I put together a large barbecue feast for our staff to show our appreciation for all the hard work they did this summer in protecting the lives of all the patrons who visited our pools (we will surpass our all-time attendance record of over 136,000 visitors this year). We planned some fun games, activities and a festive atmosphere with music and fun in the pool. Our guards are usually so busy sitting in the lifeguard stands every day that they don't get many opportunities to get in the pool and have some fun themselves. This was that chance to do so. So, imagine my surprise at about 10:30pm, when we had about 80 staff members in the pool, music playing, the barbecue grill fired up, and in come storming six police officers! They yelled "Everybody on the pool deck freeze, and everybody in the pool get out now!" I was manning the grill when this went down, and I went to step toward the lead officer, when he yelled at me in a commanding voice, "I said freeze!" Then, all of sudden, his body relaxed, his voice softened, and he said, "Moffitt, is that you?" I responded, "Yes, sir, the one and only!" He then turned to his other officers, and told them they could stand down, the situation was under control, and they could return to their squad cars. The commanding officer was a Sergeant that I was friends with at work. He shook my hand and asked me what was going on at the pool at nearly 11:00 at night. I told him what was going on, and why we were there. I then told him to call all his officers back in so that they could join the barbecue and grab a burger before going back to their shifts. They all ended up staying and hanging out on the pool deck with us until the event concluded about 30 minutes later. One of my lifeguards made a comment to me when she passed by on the way out the door at the end of the night. "You are a legend around here, you know everybody! That is epic! Everybody will be talking about this at work tomorrow!" Haha, I guess I am a legend around these parts! I hope it doesn't go to my head!
@CoralLevang (37232)
First of all, what a great story! And what a wonderful thing that you do for your employees! As far as the raid, did someone call it in? And as far as it all going to your head? Then we can honestly say that you're a legend in your own mind! Haha
@moffittjc (32766)
• Gainesville, Florida
Yeah, someone called in that there was a break-in at the pool and that people were having a party! But if you think about it, we had the pool and deck lights on, so if it was a break-in, how would somebody know how to turn on all the lights? Obviously, whoever called it in didn't think about that! Everybody on this planet is a legend in their own minds! Including me! LOL
@CoralLevang (37232)
@moffittjc well, the upside to it is that it's good to know that the neighborhood is keeping an eye out for things like that. Better to be safe than sorry.
@moffittjc (32766)
• Gainesville, Florida
@CoralLevang That's true, I never thought of it that way! Of course, we did pick the one pool in the city that sits in a very civic-minded community. Had we chosen another pool on the other side of town, we could have burned the place to the ground and no one would have said a word! haha
This is a beautiful story! It helps to know people, you surely avoided plenty of questions.
@moffittjc (32766)
• Gainesville, Florida
I still got a lot of questions asked of me, but it was in a casual, friendly conversation sitting on the pool deck, and not in the back of a police car headed to the local jail! haha
@moffittjc There is a word of difference discussing on a deck while eating burgers, or being in a police office.
@moffittjc (32766)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LadyDuck I definitely like the informal conversation on the pool deck much more than a formal conversation in the police station!
@dodo19 (27201)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
You definitely have friends in all kinds of places. Good thing that your friend was there and recognized you.
@moffittjc (32766)
• Gainesville, Florida
I told my employee that commented about me knowing everybody, "I didn't know the other five police officers, so this situation could have gone in a completely different direction if a different Sergeant would have been on duty tonight!" haha
@dodo19 (27201)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@moffittjc lol. It really would have gone differently if a different Sergeant had been there. Thankfully, it didn't go that way.
@moffittjc (32766)
• Gainesville, Florida
@dodo19 I know most of the upper command officers in the police department, but there are only a handful of Sergeants on staff that I know. Given that they are the ones in charge out on the streets, I probably should try to get to know more of them! haha
Now see, if they had recognized me, they'd have told everyone "Down on the ground with your hands over your head NOW!" because I am also a legend...
@moffittjc (32766)
• Gainesville, Florida
You are a LEGEND! We need to hang out sometime...you get us into trouble, I'll get us out of trouble! haha
@Gillygirl (15259)
• Sutton, England
At first I thought this was a joke. It must have been scary at first. Still all's well that ends well.
@Gillygirl (15259)
• Sutton, England
@moffittjc Sometimes we could do with that style of policing here.
@Gillygirl (15259)
• Sutton, England
@moffittjc LOL! No but they don't get out of their cars to stop a fight if they feel they are in danger.
@moffittjc (32766)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Gillygirl Oh my goodness! Doesn't that defeat the purpose of why they are police officers in the first place? They are supposed to put their life in danger to protect the citizens from harm and danger. Our police officers would put their life on the line each and every day to protect the people they serve!
What a great story, Jeff, and one with a very happy ending. You certainly are a legend and happy it ended well. That story will follow you to WPB!
@moffittjc (32766)
• Gainesville, Florida
As long as the police don't follow me to WPB, we'll be okay!
@moffittjc They would make us eat donuts and no hard liquor!
@moffittjc (32766)
• Gainesville, Florida
@DianneN We'll just tell them they can join us in drinking hard liquor when they get off duty!
@1creekgirl (7408)
Congrats, Jeff! Great event. Be glad you're famous and not infamous.
@moffittjc (32766)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm sure I have a few "infamous" endeavors under my belt from my younger days, but hopefully I'm making up for lost time! haha
@moffittjc Seriously, it sounds like you are very well thought of and that's quite an accomplishment.
@moffittjc (32766)
• Gainesville, Florida
@1creekgirl My staff, and other co-workers In different departments, may like me, but my bosses don't! I keep getting into too much trouble! Lol
How great is that? That is really awesome. Glad the officers were able to relax for a half-hour with you and your staff.
@moffittjc (32766)
• Gainesville, Florida
It's too bad I can never get the police to respond quickly when I have problems at my pools! Haha
@moffittjc I guess the police are rarely anywhere as quickly as you'd like them.
@moffittjc (32766)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv I've noticed that they're only quick to arrive when I'm doing something illegal! Haha
@bluesa (10673)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Oh no, Jeff, I am so sorry that happened, but, what an awesome outcome though, that every one ended up visiting together @moffittjc . Way to go, you legend!
@bluesa (10673)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@moffittjc , haha, that is a shoowee moment for sure.
@Platespinner (17586)
It was definitely a memorable end of summer party!
@moffittjc (32766)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm glad that this year's event was a lot of fun! At the start of last year's event, I got the dreaded phone call that my father had passed away of a heart attack.
@dramagirl26 (3439)
• Ringgold, Virginia
Interesting story about your party. I agree with your friend, you are a legend.
@moffittjc (32766)
• Gainesville, Florida
I wish I was a legend! My life would be so much more fun!
@poehere (17075)
• French Polynesia
What a happy ending to a fun filled night. Looks like you are a legend after all. You saved the night and the pool party.
@moffittjc (32766)
• Gainesville, Florida
Aww, with comments like this, my ego is starting to get inflated! Haha
The Legend? Do I have to bow down and worship you now??
@moffittjc (32766)
• Gainesville, Florida
I would appreciate it if you did bow down and worship me! And if you could kiss my hand when you bow down as well, you would gain favor with me! I would spare you my wrath when I rule from my throne! hahaha
Congratulations on being a legend! It takes a lot of hard work to be known as a legend!!
@moffittjc (32766)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm pretty sure I'm only a legend in my own mind! haha
Showing your employees appreciation goes a long way and I'm sure they all enjoyed the bbq until the police showed up! Must have been scary there until the police realized it was you and I guess you pretty much are a legend. Great story you shared with us and glad it had a happy ending
@moffittjc (32766)
• Gainesville, Florida
It was nice today when I went around checking on all the pools to hear my staff say they had a really good time last night. It was also nice to know they really appreciated the cookout, as they were all still thanking me again today. It's the least I could do to show my appreciation for how hard they work. I'm a fair boss, but I do push my staff hard. One, to teach them a good work ethic, and two, to make sure we have the safest, best-run pools in north Florida!
• Rochester, New York
So question.. Do the police always show up to your parties??? lol You should change your myLot name to Jeff "The Legend" Moffitt!
@moffittjc (32766)
• Gainesville, Florida
I was at a back-to-school party today put on by our police department, and I was telling the Chief what happened last night. He said to me, "They party started at 9? What took my officers so long to get there?" I'm glad he has a sense of humor!
Well it's awesome that all ended well. =) It's good that you knew the officer. I bet everyone will be talking about it!
@moffittjc (32766)
• Gainesville, Florida
I told the Sergeant that I was going to tell the Chief that he almost arrested me for doing my job! haha
Thank God they knew you very scary!