Use of Microwave Destroys Nutritional Value of Food

September 11, 2017 12:41am CST
There's no doubt that how a microwave oven is important in our lives. But there is also dark side of its use.Microwaves are accused of causing cancer and killing nutrients in food. Microwaves are just a mechanism to convert electricity to short wave energy. Microwaves selectively target water molecules in food, causing them to vibrate and release heat quickly. In other words, they simply heat food. In this process nutrients are destroyed and as a result flavor and nutritional content are altered. Only in USA, 96% of household have been reported to use microwave ovens. We should not use it heavily so that nutritional value of the food might be maintained.
4 people like this
5 responses
@singhisback (2174)
• Jalandhar, India
11 Sep
You're absolutely right but while adopting today's lifestyle many ignore this fact
2 people like this
11 Sep
Yes but it should not be heavily used.
2 people like this
• Jalandhar, India
11 Sep
@John762 that's right. I hope you are enjoying your time on mylot.
1 person likes this
@Yadah04 (3024)
• Philippines
11 Sep
is it really true that microwaves could cause cancer?
1 person likes this
11 Sep
yes @yadah04 microwaves could cause cancer and microwave oven is one of those denaturing deadly device.
1 person likes this
@Yadah04 (3024)
• Philippines
11 Sep
@John762 that is scary to know. we use the microwave almost everyday.
1 person likes this
@owlwings (39258)
• Cambridge, England
11 Sep
Any cooking degrades some of the nutrients in food. Vitamin C, for example, is destroyed by prolonged boiling. Since microwaves are simply low frequency electromagnetic waves - exactly the same thing, in fact, as those which at higher frequencies we experience as heat and light - they are no more dangerous, when properly contained, than any other such waves. They can only be dangerous when our bodies are exposed to them and the danger lies simply in the fact that they are strongly absorbed by water molecules and turned into heat, which causes the water to boil. All that happens if you are exposed to a strong source of microwaves is that your flesh begins to cook rather quickly, causing very nasty and deep scalding. One of the most prevalent myths about microwaves is that they somehow leave dangerous radiation or radioactivity in food which is heated by them. This is complete nonsense. The food may be hot and burn your mouth if you try to eat it but that is absolutely the only dangerous thing about it. Microwaves do NOT destroy 'nutrients' any more than any other form of cooking and, in fact, they may preserve them better because the food is not usually immersed in liquid (which can leach out some vitamins and minerals) and is cooked more efficiently for a shorter time. My blood is much more likely to boil reading some of the rubbish that ignorant people seem to love to perpetuate than standing next to the microwave for a minute or two waiting for it to heat my coffee or cook my broccolli!
1 person likes this
11 Sep
thank you @owlwings for detailed information
1 person likes this
@topffer (34227)
• France
11 Sep
Any cooking process destroys vitamins and nutriments, not only microwaves. Heating too much some food (milk, fat meats...) can cause cancers, whatever the process used to heat. The heathiest methods of cooking are those heating the less the food : vapor cooking, slow cooking...
1 person likes this
11 Sep
You are right @topffer. Study shows that steaming may be the optimal heating strategy for veggies, assuming they are not in contact with cooking material (water or oil) during the steaming process.
1 person likes this
@MarsGirl (291)
• Chennai, India
11 Sep
I never used microwave ovens. Yes I am aware of it kills the nutritional benefits of food.