Getting ready for a funeral

Since my aunt passed away yesterday, there are so many things to do. I bought groceries today for the food I'm going to cook when our church ladies feed the family. The funny thing is we're all family! Everyone here is related to each other (no inbreeding!), but we're all connected in some way. We have a very small church so we'll all be busy cooking away tomorrow. I'm fixing a sausage, potato, carrot and onion casserole, a large broccoli casserole, deviled eggs, pumpkin pies, and sweet tea. Maybe a bread of some sort. Friday after we serve lunch, we'll have the wake or visitation in the sanctuary, followed by the funeral. My aunt will be buried in the cemetery next to our church. I have about six generations of relatives buried there...our church is over 100 years old. Of course, we've added on and remodeled, etc over the years. My husband is supposed to do the eulogy, but just found out this morning he has pneumonia in one lung. We're hoping with the antibiotics, inhaler, and other meds that he'll be able to do it. I learned today that I'm in the bulletin to sing a special. Have to practice that. It really is an honor to be asked to sing. Anyway, we'll all try to make it as nice a funeral as we can. My aunt (and uncle) deserve nothing less.
I grew i[ om a s mall own well ac ally on the outskirtson a farm but we all were pret y much cop nnected too love smalltowns
Small towns can be nice at times when everyone is either related or knows each other.
@1creekgirl yesof course everyonekmew evedryone elses dbusiness but agasin there was a l;ot of good too there
@louievill (15581)
My sincere condolences, its so nice when we are a part of a community and church that is very supportive.
We all know each other in a small town.
@louievill (15581)
@1creekgirl I could understand you, our community is a private subdivision and also very closed knit, especially those of us whose families pioneered in this place during the late 60s and early 70s to get away from Manila when martial rule was declared in our country.
@louievill So you have a lot of good connections with your neighbors and relatives.
@SonjaRae (5699)
My condolences to your family
Appreciate the kind words, Sonja.
@SonjaRae (5699)
Oh wow. I didn't know your Aunt did. I'm sorry.
Thank you Courtney. She will sure be missed.
@1creekgirl oh I'm sure!
@KristenH (18395)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
My condolences for your loss of your aunt. Keep those memories alive. My church is 130 years old and just recently got a new steeple rebuilt as of last fall and this spring. We raised over 200,000 dollars (plus receiving grants) for our save the steeple fundraiser.
That's amazing! That's wonderful you all were able to get a new steeple. Do you have photos you could share with us?
@KristenH (18395)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@1creekgirl Yeah it is. I could find some from the church's website. If not, I could try to get some on Sunday at church.
I am so sorry you have lost a loved one. It must be cool to have so much family history at that church.
It really is good to see all the generations that are buried there.
@mandala100 (23910)
@1creekgirl I understand how busy you are my friend with the passing away of your aunt.
Busy, but doing everything I want to do.
@resukill22 (3215)
Sorry to hear that, I feel you,
Thank you, Merryjoy.
@1creekgirl welcome
@Kosgey (610)
Nice sendoff
@Kosgey (610)
@1creekgirl do not worry, we all have problems at our homes.
@dodoazo (6606)
Sorry for the loss of your auntie. My deepest condolence to her bereaved family.
Thank you so much.
I know the feeling..My condolences to you!
Didn't you say a relative of yours just passed away? I'm so sorry.
@Raelove (14034)
• Saco, Maine
My condolences to you and your family.
Thanks, Rachel, I appreciate it.
@Raelove (14034)
• Saco, Maine
@1creekgirl My pleasure...
@die1001 (64)
When I decided to attend to one, what things can I give to the family of the deceased to offer condolence.
In this part of the world, we equate food with love. But there are other ways: go for a short visit and talk about the good memories you have of the loved one. Call just to check on them. Include them in activities when you can. Don't worry about saying the wrong thing...sometimes it's enough just to be physically there. Thank you so much for your question.
• Portland, Connecticut
I am so sorry about your aunt but what a great church community, our church isn't small but we have a very strong community as well and we all chip in to help those who need it. Before I went on vacation I cooked and dropped off dinner for our two nuns, one is sick and the other doesn't cook so parishioners have been taking turns bringing them dinner.
That's wonderful that you all help take care of each other.
@kprofgames (3021)
Sorry for the loss of your Aunt. You know, coming from a small community myself I appreciate the coming together that happens in a time of like this. Our church community did the same growing up too. I really hope your husband recovers enough. pneumonia is nothing to mess around with. It's kind of funny because I moved away and a few months back a co-worker lost their mother-in-law. After they came back from leave, I had a cake I brought in. When asked why I'd bring a cake knowing someone lost a family member all i could answer was "Um, I'm Lutheran?"
That is kind of funny. I guess people don't have the same customs everywhere.