I feel like a hamster in a training wheel

My family unit consists of my daughter, her husband and her 5 year old son. The grandson goes to preschool three days a week, MWF. My daughter works five days a week from 4:30 AM to 1 PM, days off are tues and wed. Her husband works two days a week, 24 hour shifts. He works 8 AM tues to 8Am wed and 8 Am sat to 8 Am sun. I don't work, however I am the designated babysitter... This has been a rugged week for me because of son in law having to work extra hours. On days that he has to work he has to take my daughter to work so he can have the truck. When that happens I have to get up at 3:45 to watch the monitor until he gets back at about 4:30, then we both go back to bed till later. So I was up at 3:45 Am on Thurs, Fri, and Sat and went back to bed for 2 or 2 and a half hours and then get up again. Three days of this plus taking care of the child on Thurs and Sat and I am wiped out. Sometimes I don't even know what day it is...glad the son in laws extra hours are over for a while.
Glad to hear his long hours are over for awhile, that does sound exhausting.
Me too, it will be even better when he gets his own car.
Do they give you any money for helping out. I would want something.
I don't get paid per se, but they buy me things I need when I don't have money.
@Shellyann36 (8489)
Glad you are going to get a break from the long hours. That takes a toll on a person.
Things change at the drop of a hat around here, like this past week when I was unable to do anything because both my wrists were damaged.
@sumofalltears Oh gosh that sounds awful. I hope they are better.
@Shellyann36 they are getting there, one is still quite colorful the other is sensitive to strong movements.
@LilyBeBack (1998)
They're lucky to have you! I'm confused about what you mean when you say you have to "watch the monitor", what does that mean?
When baby is sleeping we use a monitor to keep an eye on him.
@sumofalltears Oh I see, I didn't realise there was a baby, I thought you were talking about a computer monitor
It does sound like a lot of work for everybody. It's good you're able to help out.
Everyone has a different schedule and we just have to fit things together as best we can.
@sumofalltears It does make things interesting with everyone on different schedules.
@cahaya1983 (10068)
That sounds exhausting. Hope you manage to take a good break from the tiring routine before his extra hours start again.
With the holidays coming, both of them will put in extra hours, especially my daughter since she just got a promotion.
• Preston, England
sounds gruelling but nice that you get to be with your family and especially your grandson
It has its good points as well as bad points, but it can always be worse.
@kepweng (9263)
hope you can unwind relax sometimes
I relax when things are done.
Wow those are really crazy work hours they have. It is nice you are willing to babysit. My mother does not watch my kids. My sister lives with her with her 4 kids and my mother has always been so busy helping with them she's never had time for my kids like that but I am a lot more independant then my sister.
It is a shame your mother does not take time to be with your children, I have six grandchildren and regret that I never had time to spend with five of them because they lived so far away.
@sumofalltears My parents, sister and her kids live right across the street from me.
@shaggin I am sorry to hear that, and feel bad that your mother does not take the opportunity to be with all her grandchildren.