Just Read a Discussion.....

@Morleyhunt (16632)
Am I open minded or closed minded? The discussion was started by another Mylotter who has apparently blocked me....so much for being open minded. This seems to be a huge problem on Mylot. When a discussion is shared, you have opened yourself up to various opinions. These opinions might not be the same as yours....but as opinions they are still valid. As a Mylotter you may choose to reply or "discuss" this difference of opinion....you may choose to delete the "offending" opinion. You might choose to lash out at someone whom you feel has maligned you. Submitting a discussion about open mindedness isn't very open minded....when the Mylotters who wish to respond are blocked...
@UncleJoe (8532)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I've been blocked by several folks who don't share my sense of humor. Now I cry myself to sleep every night.
@Morleyhunt (16632)
Oh, don't do that....just move on...they don't deserve your tears. My response was more a reaction to. It being able to comment on the post...I just wrote my own.
• Marion, Kansas
@kevin1877uk (36137)
Like you say when you write a post you open yourself to the comments you may have on that post. I find it silly and kinda pointless blocking people, never been able to understand that.
@Morleyhunt (16632)
They miss the pennies they would have earned from that Mylotter. Their loss.
@kevin1877uk (36137)
@Morleyhunt Yes totally true, like I have said, I don't just understand them blocking.
I blocked one lady, she called me names because I believe in God and she would not let up! I take a lot from people but I get my fill and its over.
The fact that myLot has made provisions to block users I suppose they expect that it will be used
@Morleyhunt (16632)
It's her loss. She won't be earning from my comments.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
I don't comment on controversial posts such as politics and religion, I prefer to keep my opinions to myself. Funny how some people think only their opinions count. We are all entitled to our thoughts and opinions. I totally agree with you.
@Morleyhunt (16632)
I wanted to comment on how I appreciate open indeed discussion....but discovered that I was blocked....frustrating... I tend to skip political or religious discussions...when someone asks for an honest opinion I'm inclined to give that opinion....not the "poor you" pat on the back they were looking for.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
@Morleyhunt I refuse to get into an argument with anyone here on mylot. That's not what this site is about, however as I said our opinions differ and that's just human nature.
I am an Atheist so, I never discuss about religion or God.
Well I am sure that you will still be able to enjoy the site without contact with that person. I am sorry hate the block feature it's disgusting. I prefer to ignore a person. LIke I decided to do from yesterday. I was pissed about something. But I won't block them beause i don't want my name in a post like this. Good day.
@Morleyhunt (16632)
The only reason I named the Mylotter is that I'm hoping she is open minded enough to read the post. Why write about opened indeed sharing when you aren't even open to comments. I've never written anything on her discussions that was offensive.
@ridingbet (37924)
@Morleyhunt can you therefore share the user's name, even without the ampersand?
@Morleyhunt (16632)
@ridingbet I actually used her name but it was suggested that I remove it before my discussion was deleted.
Yep
It's a bit like the nuisance call we had promising to do something about nuisance calls. This person isn't open-minded at all.
@Bluedoll (16823)
I'm open minded and closed minded. Of course not at the same time. It depends on the topic.
@Morleyhunt (16632)
I loved your story about the nuisance caller. I had a problem caller once who called twice in a row. The second time I hung up and walked out the door. My daughter answered when they called a third time. When she told them I was unavailable (stepped out) they told her to tell me I was childish!
@Bluedoll (16823)
That was my discussion. Sorry about that @Morleyhunt I went to your profile page and saw it was blocked. it's unblocked now.
@Morleyhunt (16632)
That's the reason mylot should offer a chance to see who we might have blocked without going to ever profile page,
One blocked me when I commented on someone else`s discussion about teens having babies that I felt like single parents could not watch the kids and work to make them a living, she responded " not the case in her state." Later that day she blocked me. BUT it was not even on her discussion. Oh well she WAS making money off me.
@Morleyhunt (16632)
I've been blocked because of a discussion that must have hit too close to home...they insisted that my discussion was criticizing them....
@ilocosboy (33267)
that just sad our fellow has blocked you. Anyway, I just followed you, he he. So, one goes out and me in.
@Morleyhunt (16632)
Why thank you. I follow some but often just go through the most recent discussions. I read and comment where time allows.
@pgntwo (21717)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Half the time, I think they block and forget...
@Morleyhunt (16632)
That's possible,I've been blocked by one active user soon after they joined the site,
@pgntwo (21717)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@Morleyhunt Or someone who hit the block button to see what it does, and didn't "unhit" it.
@Morleyhunt (16632)
@pgntwo that's possible. Too bad mylot doesn't have a button to see who we might have blocked.
Oh goodness, do you mean that the myLotter who started a discussion about open minded and closed minded blocked you? Well, we do not need to ask to this myLotter the question, we know already.
@Morleyhunt (16632)
That was my thought. How can they consider themselves open minded...they have blocked many Mylotters.
@Morleyhunt In my opinion the block button should be removed. We are here do discuss and to share our opinions. If someone is rude, or leave offensive comments, we have the possibility to report. Blocking is not in the spirit of this site.
@Bluedoll (16823)
@LadyDuck Then why does it exist?
@Shellyann36 (8619)
Why, how closed minded of this person! I have only had one person block me here on MyLot and I never learned the reason why. I did not argue with the person or disagree with them at any point. Oh well, it is their loss!
@Morleyhunt (16632)
I don't think I have anyone blocked.
@Morleyhunt I don't either or at least I cannot remember blocking anyone. I just never found out why that particular person blocked me.
@Jackalyn (6677)
• Oxford, England
I WOULD block people. I cannot do with the kind of person who deliberately harrasses or makes unneccessary provocative statements or is rude and stuff like that. Life is too short. However, just a difference of opinion is par for the course and if you don't like it you can delete it. Personally, having moderated chat sites in the past, I think a block button is really necessary.
@Morleyhunt (16632)
Arbitrarily blocking someone because they don't share your opinion seems unjustified. Someone who is offensive (deliberately so) would be a different matter.
• Marion, Kansas
Could it be an accidental blocking? I have chosen to block one person. It was not because of content that was public but due to requests to sponsor said person moving to the US. People believe all in the states are wealthy and have no problems.
@Morleyhunt (16632)
Sometimes it could be accidental. I can be close minded....I just move on. Generally I don't resort to blocking. Aren't all North Americans wealthy and free of problems? Some of our problems may seem trivial others....but they are very real to us. What people observe is often only what we let the world see. Reality might be something quite different.
@kiran8 (15216)
• Mangalore, India
Blocking a member shows how petty minded some members are. I have been blocked for the same reason - for giving an honest opinion rather than agreeing with what the person had said. So, what s the point in discussing ..
@Morleyhunt (16632)
If everyone is always if the same opinion.... There isn't really much of a discussion....just a rubber stamp.
@sjvg1976 (14592)
Oh that's sad . It looks as if people just show off that they are open minded are not open minded actually. I have not read that post.
@Morleyhunt (16632)
The Mylotter has since unblocked me. They were not aware that I had been blocked.
It's sad that people block other people just for difference in opinion. Guess it's bound to happen to all of us sooner or later.
@m_audrey6788 (11601)
Saw the discussion that you mentioned here in your post. Could the blocking be accidental? That has happened in the past with other members.
@Morleyhunt (16632)
I don't think it was accidental....although sometimes I think mylot should have a key that shows you if you have blocked someone...accidental or otherwise.
@Morleyhunt true. Agree with that suggestions. A list showing the members who you have blocked will be helpful.
@Bluedoll (16823)
They could remove the block feature and I wouldn't care however I think with the block feature another adjustment in the guidelines would need to occur as well.