Working For Amazon

@fishtiger58 (30716)
Momence, Illinois
I know there has been a lot of controversy about how Amazon has expanded and the things they have planned. A lot of people are worried that they are going to be a monopoly on the internet and beyond. And while that argument has some validity I hope that doesn't happen even though Amazon has helped my son immensely. He has been working for Amazon for 2 months now. A new Amazon warehouse opened not far from our home and my son got a badly needed job there as his former place of business, a grocery chain, closed down. Let me tell you about my son's job. Or should I say the benefits he is receiving since joining Amazon. He has Life Insurance and Accidental Death and Dismemberment paid for by Amazon. He has health insurance, dental, and eye care, for which he pays 74 dollars a month, his last job he was paying 169 dollars a month for much less coverage. He gets paid vacation time and paid personal days. He got an Amazon stock when he got hired and gets them for certain reasons. He now has 2 stock for a job well done. Last time I looked Amazon stock was trading at about $980.00 a stock. And most importantly he has a guaranteed 40 hours a week, with voluntary overtime and mandatory overtime during the Christmas season. He also gets a livable wage. He also has a 401k. Many of these things he did not get from his former part time job. and these things are important to have. He also didn't get a raise that his union promised him for over 3 years. Many people say that Amazon is pushing out the little guy, those small businesses in brick and mortar stores. First let me say that no one can control how individuals shop. Whether it be in brick and mortar stores or online. It's the way of it. Many many stores now have online shopping, as well as brick and mortar stores. As many of us know Walmart pushed out many small businesses long before Amazon did. And while I do support a couple of small businesses I love, a small business can't employ the numbers that Amazon does. This year alone Amazon hired approx. 50,000 people and currently employ over 300,000 people. The United States needs employment and that's the simple fact. I have one more fact for you. There is an employer out there that has brick and mortar stores as well as online stores. And they currently employee more people than Amazon,around 400,000 and hired approx. 80,000 this year alone. Can you guess who it is? I think it may shock you all. Home Depot, yup Home Depot is a huge company and are doing quite well for themselves. Look it up it's true. These are my opinions which I am entitled to as everyone on Mother Earth is. So if you don't like my opinions I will not be nasty to you or even discount your opinions. I would be pleased if this was a pleasant discussion for everyone involved. Please no nastiness on my discussion. But your opinions are welcomed.
In this day and age, any company that offers employment and benefits to so many is a good company to me. And, if it is a company that does not lay off people left and right, then hooray for that company.
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
Amazon hired 3000 people enmass, hard to interview that many. So the thought was with those hired that there would next be mass firings but my son said that hasn't happened. I say goooooooo Amazon.
@fishtiger58 Me too!!!
@Ganma7 (2074)
I agree totally
I agree, walmart and Kmart shoved the mom and pop stores out first. I am just now beginning to enjoy Amazon. AND I am about to add Amazon to my blogs if possible to make a little money too. So I will not say one thing negative about anyone making a living. My jaw went slack with how cheap his insurance is!
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
We sure were pleased when he was given the Health Insurance information. Then he got to choose which plan he wanted as several were available. A person of 26 shouldn't have to pay hundreds for health insurance like he was at his last job. The insurance is way better for way cheaper premiums. Amazon has an amazing shipping system, I know twice at least I have ordered something from them and got it in less than 24 hours. Some people say they are slow, but then they have bought from 3rd party sellers on Amazon. And Amazon has no control over when those items ship.
@fishtiger58 I have always been pleased with them, Same here for insurance, just because I am over 50 does not mean I need everything!
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
@andriaperry I can say that I have never been unhappy with Amazon and that goes back to before my son ever worked for them.
@dodo19 (28108)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
It does sound like a good job for your son. The benefits do seem good. I'm glad that he's found a good job.
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
I am too, they are hard to come by.
@dodo19 (28108)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@fishtiger58 They really are. Not everyone is so lucky.
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
@dodo19 This is actually his first full time job and he is 26, but he didn't go to college although that doesn't mean as much as it used to. Many college grads are in huge debt and can't find a job in their chosen profession.
I'm definitely one who shops instore only, unless I can't find what I need in store, like for Christmases.. but this does sound like a great job for your son / most people.
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
It's been a boon to my area, they hired 3000 to staff that new warehouse. My area needed the jobs badly.
@fishtiger58 im sure lots of areas need it. Like here..
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
@Courtlynn I believe they have like 80 warehouses across the country. With plans for many more.
I am very happy with Amazon, I am glad it exists, because I can order many things that cost to me a lot less the price I would pay here in Switzerland. I understand very well how important this company is for your son and I am glad he has a good job there.
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
Thanks Anna, even though he lives with us for which we are most pleased, me and his dad want him to stay, he still has bills that need to be paid, and now he has enough money to have fun as well. That's a good thing.
@fishtiger58 The best is that he also seems happy about this job.
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
@LadyDuck He is really tired when he comes home but yes he likes his job. So important.
I'm a full supporter of Amazon. My books are there. I also buy a lot from Amazon. I'm glad your son has such great benefits.
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
I love Amazon too Valerie, way before my son worked for them. I am over the moon that my son is working for them, I couldn't be more pleased.
@fishtiger58 I can tell that you are.
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
@just4him Yes indeed.
@sueznewz2 (9381)
• Alicante, Spain
i'm glad he gets such a good employment package,...
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
I am too it's needed for all people and I'm glad Amazon is a great company to work for. So far his bosses love him, he is a hard worker.
I am so happy he is working at what is a wonderful job that it does not seem they have a chance of going out of business. I think it is great he has stock! It would cost a fortune to buy it from a stockbroker. i think the job sounds great!
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
Thanks Jennifer he is very pleased with his job and our me and his dad. Things are going well and because of the Christmas season looks like he may be working 50 to 60 hours a week until the season is over. He is going to be one tired guy.
@fishtiger58 wow that is a large amount of time to work in a week. Does he mind working those hours? I hope he doesn't get too tired working those hours!
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
@Marty1 Much of the up coming overtime is mandatory so he has no choice in the matter. He knew that going into his job that November and December were going to be tough months, but the pay he will get time and a half is sweet.
@ricki_911 (17193)
• Toronto, Ontario
Sounds like a good job for him especialky with all the benefits
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
The benefits are essential and I'm so pleased for him.
@ricki_911 (17193)
• Toronto, Ontario
@fishtiger58 They are! As many jobs dont offer them or very low quality ones
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
@ricki_911 And it seems in the past 20 years or so there are more part time jobs than full time jobs. No one can live on a part time job with no benefits.
I am a firm supporter of any company that treats its workers fairly and well. I'm very pleased for your son and his new job.
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
I am too and I feel like Amazon is helping put America back to work. And that's the most important thing. Thanks Dianne
@fishtiger58 You are welcome! I remember when he lost his job. He must feel wonderful working at Amazon.
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
@DianneN He actually started working about 2 weeks before his store closed forever. So yes he is happy I am happy his dad is happy and he really likes the way he is treated and loves being full time. Full time jobs are so hard to find these days.
@DeborahDiane (16225)
• Laguna Woods, California
@fishtiger58 - I understand completely. I trust Amazon. They are very reliable and they save me from driving all over the place looking for hard-to-find items. I am actually very pleased to hear that they are such a good employer. That makes me feel even better about buying things from them!
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
that's awesome, I have liked Amazon far longer than the time my son has been employed by them. So far as I can tell and what my son tells me, they are great to work for. At the beginning of each shift they have what they call " Stand Up" they get news about good things happening and good things the employee's have done, every one claps and they do stretches before work. They also have a doctor and nurse in the building for injuries and such.
• Laguna Woods, California
@fishtiger58 - That is fabulous. I am so glad to know that it is a responsible company. It makes me feel really good about doing most of my Christmas shopping through Amazon. Many of the gifts have already been sent to the recipients!
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
@DeborahDiane I think Amazon tries really really hard to satisfy their customers. And so far my son is very happy working for them.
• Portland, Connecticut
I think Amazon if offering jobs to a lot of middle-class Americans who were struggling before and now can work full-time jobs with benefits and I say more power to them. I do support local businesses but they just can't impact the economy the way a company like Amazon can.
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
I support several small businesses as well, but you are so right, currently America has to get back to work and that's what Amazon is doing. The US unemployment rate has been to high for decades and it's time to be great again. Whatever it takes. I have been a fan of Amazon far longer than the time my son has been employed by them.
• Portland, Connecticut
@fishtiger58 I shop on Amazon every week, it saves me time and often money and I can find just about anything I want.
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
@BelleStarr I have been a fan of Amazon way longer than my son has been employed by them. I have actually gotten several things in less than 24 hours, amazing.
It is wonderful that he has a great job. You must be happy for him. Everyone needs a decent job. I still prefer to shop in person. A lot of online stores do not deliver through Canada Post. So, if a lot of bricks and mortar stores close, shopping will get very difficult out here in rural Alberta. Sears Canada is closing up shop. They had a catalogue counter in every small town so they will be missed.
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
Sears is closing shop in the US as well. Some things I prefer to shop for in the stores, but the internet has opened up so many more opportunities for finding things decades ago we couldn't I love that about the internet. Thanks he really needed that job.
@fishtiger58 oh, I didn't know US Sears was closing also. I am glad for your son.
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
@paigea There are still some open but many have closed also KMart is closing Sears owns KMart or KMart owns Sears one of the two. But many of both are already closed. I only know of one Sears and one KMart still open.
@FayeHazel (11811)
It's true - I don't like the idea of monopolies. However I don't think Amazon is any real threat - people were scared of all the big box sorts of stores. And still small businesses survive. I buy what I realistically can - at small businesses. However if they don't carry what I want or if they are way more expensive then I either go to a big box store or order from Amazon. Happy your son has a pretty sweet job there
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
I really don't think the government will allow Amazon to become a monopoly and really it's the American way to build up a business. I have loved Amazon way before my son became employed by them. We all know about pinching pennies, and we do what we can to accomplish that. Whatever it takes I always say.
@FayeHazel (11811)
@fishtiger58 I agree. I have some friends who are too good for big box stores (they don't shop online either) -- and I'm happy that they are able to afford pricier fare. But pennies count with me.
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
@FayeHazel My husband and I are retired and on a fixed income so we have to watch our spending.
That sounds like a marvellous job for your son. What's not to like? Good for him.
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
It's an awesome job, I am so pleased and relieved. He did get that job right before the store he was working at closed so no time in between with no job. For that I am grateful.
@fishtiger58 I think I remember when you were waiting on your son getting the final approval for the job. It is such a relief when your child has employment.
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
@JudyEv It really is, I love not worrying about him.
@UncleJoe (8606)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I just signed up to deliver packages for Amazon Flex. The average pay is $18-$25 an hour. Who can resist that?
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
Wow nice good luck
@KrauseHome (33385)
Amazon does offer a lot of good perks as an employee. I would Love to find something in order to work from home for them if I could. I have also Sold on there, and still do and it has been interesting as well. Glad they continue to have the success they are having.
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
You should look into working from home for them. They are super automated, they have robots doing things at the warehouse my son works in. You never know.
@JESSY3236 (5066)
I'm glad Amazon exists. I have found that I can get a lower price for some things. And I have ordered stuff I couldn't find in stores around here.
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
Many many things we can't find in stores. Before Amazon it was the internet, So many things we were not even aware of. I love it.
I think I read somewhere that Amazon is opening a warehouse somewhere here in Pa. Personally I love Amazon and order from them frequently. It's nice to hear that they treat their employees fairly
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
I so agree, treating their employees is a good thing, and that news does and will get out there. I especially love the fact that they are getting American workers working. The unemployment rate is frightening out there and whatever can help I'm all for. Amazon currently has like 80 warehouses across the US with plans for more.
I feel that as long as he is working for a company that doesn't take advantage of him and that the company is an honest one, which it sounds like it is, then bravo. Congratulations to your son for finding and keeping this job. Onward and upward from here! Most of our employers do not pay for your health benefits until you get your 90 days in. But then they usually pay it entirely, sometimes there is a cap, for eyeglasses its usually $250-300 every 2 years, and the dental is usually about 90% covered.
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
He was covered day one, which I love. He was on our insurance until he turned 26 so for just 2 months he didn't have health insurance. They are a wonderful company to work for, my son tells me what's going on there and I'm impressed.