Halloween Costumes A Big Business

By DB
@dgobucks226 (12105)
I was listening to Fox Business today and it was reported that Americans spend roughly 9 billion dollars on Halloween. Do you know which company is # 1 in Halloween sales? Would you like to venture a guess? Which leads me to the second question of the day. Where do you buy your Halloween costumes for your children or yourself (since some adults also attend parties and events). Or perhaps you put your own outfit together to save on the expense? photo- game house/google images
Those costume companies make zero money off of me . We don't really dress up anymore, but my 2 kids do - and I've always made or put together their costumes. I love thrift shops for that ! Well, the Halloween store that seems to reign out here is "Spirit".
I dressed as Madonna one year and used what I had and layered.
@andriaperry I love it! Which style of Madonna did you dress like? I don't know why the cone bra look comes to mind .
@dgobucks226 (12105)
Spirit is very big where I live also. The store which was # 1 was Party City go figure?
Halloween was never around when I was a child and I'm afraid we don't participate now. But I'm sure many love it. They'd have to to spend so much money on it.
@dgobucks226 (12105)
There are stores here in the states Judy that pop up in our malls just for Halloween. And then they are gone. Very big business!
@dgobucks226 I can imagine it would be. I know there are Christmas stores too. We have one in a nearby town and all it stocks is stuff for Christmas. It's open all year and seems to do a good trade.
@dgobucks226 (12105)
@JudyEv Yes, we have one too.
We do not wear costumes for Halloween, so we do not have this problem of choice.
Walmart probably. I usually made mine. But I did buy a witch hat once, still got it
@dgobucks226 (12105)
I wore my Dad's WWII service cap one year when I went as a soldier. The answer was Party City, go figure?
@dgobucks226 I have used my imagination mostly
@dgobucks226 I figured that it would be Wal Mart. I went in my local Wall Mart to pick up my prescription and at the entry was a rack of costumes starting price was $19.97 for a crummy costume. The better ones hit upwards of $25!!! If you have more than one child you need to take out a loan for the costumes and candy and all the trimmings! I remember using the stuff from around the house and we would get unwrapped candy and fruit and marshmallows. I remember getting a marshmallow so old and tough our dog had a bad time chewing it! ROTFL. Times really ha be changed.
@ebanreb (6447)
I dont buy i prefer doing it. It makes me happy if I am the one preparing the costume of my nieces and nephews.
@dgobucks226 (12105)
I do think it is more fun to create your own costume. Good for you.
@ebanreb (6447)
@dgobucks226 Thanks I am now ready for the Halloween party my friend.
@dgobucks226 (12105)
@ebanreb Enjoy Bernabe! Happy Halloween party
@nela13 (6829)
• Portugal
I am not a big fan of Halloween, but my two kids love it, I usually exchange costumes with some friends but this year I bought it, a Harry Potter costume to my son and a little witch to my daughter.
@dgobucks226 (12105)
I bet the kids looked great in those costumes!
@nela13 (6829)
• Portugal
@dgobucks226 Yes, they look fab ??
@dgobucks226 (12105)
@Daelii (5585)
My kids and I made ours! I can't see spending 20+ dollars a kid / 30 per adult for one night. By the time its all added up that could be a delicious dinner out and a hotel stay for a weekend trip! My guess is Halloween city. I went in there once and they had wands etc for 2.99 or more. Same exact thing ( down to UPC code) from dollar tree that was literally other end of shopping plaza.
@dgobucks226 (12105)
It is quite expensive indeed! I don't knowhow some can afford it if they have many children. I guess they keep the costume and do a hand me down to their younger kids. Halloween City is a good guess. In fact, surprising to me it was Party City?
@Daelii (5585)
@dgobucks226 arent they the same thing? Except party city is open year round and Halloween City is only like 6 weeks?
@dgobucks226 (12105)
@Daelii You are correct! Halloween City is an umbrella of the Party City corporate brand according to Wikipedia. No wonder they make so much in sales!
@pgntwo (21646)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Amazon? All cobbled together from bits and pieces, although a good mask or two has been bought over the years.
@dgobucks226 (12105)
Yes, a good mask is a fun way to go! Party city topped the charts for Halloween sales which really surprised me?
@pgntwo (21646)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@dgobucks226 Facepaint seems popular around our neighbourhood this Halloween - seeing some really great spooky faces and costumes!
@dgobucks226 (12105)
@pgntwo Face painted pumpkins are great. I always enjoy those and the mess is minimal compared with carving!
Since we don't celebrate halloween, I don't buy costumes for myself or my son. Back when he was 5 they did have a halloween party at school and I bought his costume at Toy Kingdom. That happened only once.
@dgobucks226 (12105)
Thanks for responding to my post Toni. People go crazy in the U.S. over Halloween costumes.
@dgobucks226 Yeah I could see that. I have relatives over there and my nephews and nieces were always excited about trick or treating.
@kobesbuddy (46151)
• East Tawas, Michigan
We never buy Halloween costumes, but my guess is that Hallmark sells the most costumes.
@dgobucks226 (12105)
Never thought of Hallmark? Bet they cornered the Halloween card market! The answer was Party City which was surprising to me?
@kobesbuddy (46151)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@dgobucks226 I didn't know of any names, for Halloween costumes.
I haven't dressed up for Halloween in a long, long time.
@dgobucks226 (12105)
Join the club
• Mombasa, Kenya
Think am the only one who doesn't contribute to these huge sale
@dgobucks226 (12105)
Oh I am sure your not the only one. Many here (U.S.) put together their own costumes.
It's been many years since I've dressed up. That's a whole lot of money to spend.
@dgobucks226 (12105)
Very good point Susan! Better to create your own!
@ilocosboy (34311)
Its business now, thanks to malls and manufacturers who are so good in marketing.
@dgobucks226 (12105)
Exactly! Many stores realize the amount of money to be made.
@FayeHazel (17912)
That game looks cool. My guess would be Walmart for Halloween sales. No kids here, so no kid's costumes. I know I usually assemble my own out of clothing or dance costumes that I already have to make it cheaper. Never did like the thought of paying the big bucks for a cheaply made costume.
@dgobucks226 (12105)
Yes, I always put my own together once I reached a certain age. Much more fun. You would think Walmart would be # 1 but surprisingly it was Party City?
Sounds like I need to start my own line of Halloween costumes lol.
@dgobucks226 (12105)
Yes maybe corner the online market?