Do you have student's loan debt

Hello people. How many here have student loan and still paying for it. They say this is the worst year ever where so many have outstanding loan. No wonder most young people are in financial disaster. With credit card so easy to get and more. It will take years for these people to pay off their loan. Most people don't grow up.Most people age. They find parking spaces,honor their credit cards, get married and have children and call that maturity, What that is aging. The wonderful Maya Angelou photo on line below from online what is happening +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Below is some information on this. $1.45 trillion in total U.S. student loan debt 44.2 million Americans with student loan debt Student loan delinquency rate of 11.2% (90+ days delinquent or in default) Average monthly student loan payment (for borrower aged 20 to 30 years): $351 Median monthly student loan payment (for borrower aged 20 to 30 years): $203
I'm 40 years old and still have like $10K of student loan debt. We aren't in a huge rush to pay it off as the interest is tax-deductible. I think I pay like $80 per month. I went to a private university that was $25,000 per year. What were my parents thinking letting me do that?!?!?!?! Now the same place costs $50,000 per year. That is INSANE. I always recommend community college to my students. Do 2 years there for the basic requirements and save your money.
You get the same education at a community college. I went to one for two years and than to a regular college for the last two years. I worked forty hours hours and went to college full time. No student loan. I paid has I went.
@jstory07 That's why I try to tell my students to go for community college first. There is no reason to rack up all of that debt in today's economy and job market.
Sounds like the advice of Dave Ramsey.
My husband and I paid for our son's B.S. in Economics, but he decided to earn an MBA in finance/marketing and he took out a student loan for that. He did not feel he could work and study for his MBA at the same time and still do well in his studies. We are glad he has that advanced degree, but he does have to make monthly payments on that loan.
@Corbin5 I see.This is not going to break him there.
@amadeo No, he will be fine. It will just take him a lot of time to pay it off.
@Corbin5 Okay.
I took a loan for studies long time ago, but I paid it in 3 years. My 2 girls paid their loans a long time ago.
@marguicha that is good news there.Very smart
@amadeo It is a good way to live.
@marguicha yes it is a good way there
Not anymore I dont..I had a loan for hairdressing school but its gone now
@TiarasOceanView good for you there.
Student loans can certainly be a huge burden on young people. Good comment about people not growing up but only ageing. That's very true.
@JudyEv yes it is.Student here an all time high in loan debt
@amadeo It is a shame young people have to start off with such a debt hanging over them.
I guess those students never listen to Dave Ramsey's money show.
My husband and I paid for our 2 sons university: no debt at all.
@marlina great good feelings
@amadeo Wonderful feelings for all of us.
@marlina I am sure that this is
@KristenH (24085)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
I did long time ago, when I went to a college in Southern Ohio for two months before I quit and dropped out. It took me awhile to pay in installments.
@KristenH are you all paid there.
@KristenH (24085)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@amadeo Yes. That was a decade ago and lasted a few months for two months of financial aid. No worries here, other than bills and paying the rent.
@KristenH good for you there.
@LeaPea2417 (20446)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Luckily, now, we do not. In our early marriage, we had a small loan that we paid off from my husband's college days. It took over 5 years to pay.
@LeaPea2417 that is not too bad there.
I have no student loans and have never had a student loan, I paid my way as I went along. And yet I get three calls a week telling me they can offer me a better rate on my student loans, better than 0, I doubt it lol
@BelleStarr yes I have read about this many times.
I don't have student loans either and get a call supposedly calling me \back from a call i made about paying off my loan that never existed
I do owe, but I'm not sure how much.
@teamfrerak16 are they hounding you there.Was you in the service?you could had the GI Bill of Rights there?
@amadeo - No, my access to my GI Bill expired long ago.
@teamfreak16 oh!that is too bad there Scott.I use mine.
@peachpurple (12875)
In Malaysia, most student loans are in debt, they don't pay either
@peachpurple Do they get in any kind of problems there?
@sjvg1976 (18386)
No I don't have any loan pending with me.
@sjvg1976 good for you there.Your free
@cahaya1983 (10053)
Fortunately I don't. Students loan debt is an issue here too. The first few years of working are usually pretty tough for the young people nowadays because they have to spend a portion of their income to pay off the debt.
@cahaya yes some have it very heard.Thank you
• Rochester, New York
No loan for me. I went straight to work right after high school.
@LisaSteinmetz how are you doing in that sector?
No.
@The InvisibleMan okay.Same here
@amadeo But I find it impressive (negatively speaking) how many people have that kind of debt.
@TheInvisibleMan Oh yes.Many,many do.
I have a student loan, currently standing at about £9,000, but I don't consider it a debt. I've never earnt enough to pay it back so it gets deferred every year, very minimal amount of interest, and after twenty-five years it gets written off.
@Popplicious that is sort of weird there.but if it works why not
Back in the day, I was able to go to college and be able to pay tuition on my own with just a part time job. But Hubby went to a private art college . . . that cost him a very pretty penny. He finally got that loan paid off just about a couple years ago . . . it took a long time. I really don't know how "kids" can pay for their college at all now in this country . . . it's crazy that a college education in other parts of the world are free or almost free!
@much2say yes it is very crazy.Glad to heard that you are free from this.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I got my degree from the University of Southern Maine in 1996 and spent the next several years paying off my loans. Then, some years later, I consolidated them with other bills. I have no loans now, and that's the way I like it.
@Raelove good for you Rachel smart woman there.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@amadeo Thanks...I didn't just have loans. I did work-study, which was paid; and I got some grants because I was often on the Dean's List. In the end, I didn't have to borrow nearly as much as some people did.
@Raelove on the dean list there.One very smart woman.Great.
@redurnet (1463)
I have a student loan and I'm in the UK. I don't actually think I'll ever pay it off unless I suddenly become rich.
@redurnet wow.That much?
@redurnet (1463)
@amadeo The amount I owe is about the average debt in the UK but I just don't earn enough to pay it back. It gets paid back through wages and mine are small.
@redurnet that is good.Does this put a big dent in there?