Did you know of Herbert Hoover's link with Western Australia?

Bunbury, Australia
Yesterday I came across this nugget of information about Herbert Hoover, later 31st President of the USA from 1929 to 1933. Herbert Hoover studied geology at Stanford University, California, and in 1897 was invited by a British mining-engineering firm to take up a post in Coolgardie, Western Ausralia to inspect mines and make appraisals for their viability. He is quoted as saying ‘Good engineers are called in as physicians to mend the lame ducks. This we do by killing the bad ones immediately’. Hoover described the harsh outback as a place of ‘black flies, red dust and white heat’. As manager of the ‘Sons of Gwalia’ gold mine near Leonora, he was responsible for the unusual inclined shaft of the mine. This followed the gold lode for over 1,600 metres, going into the earth at an angle of 30 degrees. Incidentally, a lady I once worked with had connections to the Sons of Gwalia mine. Hoover left WA two years later to marry his college sweetheart although his association with Australia continued for another eight years. Some authorities say the fortune he made as a highly successful mining engineer paved the way for his presidential campaign. It seems that he rode the first steam train into Cue perched on the cowcatcher and waving the American flag. So I’m wondering who of our US myLotters knew about Hoover’s association with Australia. The photo is of one of the fine old hotels in Kalgoorlie.
I fully agree with what @JamesHxstatic wrote, he was one of the worst US Presidents. He also worked in China, he had also this option, why to come back to the United States to be such a poor President?
I knew he had gone to China. I don't suppose he intended to be a poor president.
@JudyEv People should know their limits, this proves he was not someone who had to run for President.
@LadyDuck There are many people who don't know their limits. I think they call it the 'Peter Principle' - people keep rising in their profession until they go just that bit too far.
Not me, he is not one of our better presidents, I know very little about him.
Isn't that interesting? He was highly regarded in Australia in those days. Very influential and innovative.
@JudyEv That comes as a total surprise to me he is regarded as one of the mos ineffectual men ever here.
@BelleStarr Maybe he should have stuck to engineering. One article says he 'helped to establish single-hand drilling, disciplined management, and high standards of efficiency in the aftermath of a boom' so it sounds like he was good at that line of work.
• Eugene, Oregon
I did not know of his Australian connection. Since he so ineptly led the country, I sort of wish he had stayed there though.
He seemed to be very good at his job at the time. I had no idea I'd get that reaction from some of you. I find that really interesting.
• Eugene, Oregon
@JudyEv He preceded Franklin Roosevelt and seemed helpless in the face of the Great Depression of1929.
Yes, I did. I learned about Hoover's engineering days in Australia when I visited his presidential library in September.
Oh that's good. It seems a couple of myLotters knew about his time in Australia.
@Deepizzaguy (15037)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
Thank you for sharing this history fact of former President Herbert Hoover.
You're welcome. Sometimes all sorts of interesting facts emerge, don't they?
@Ganma7 (2828)
@JudyEv yes they do
@xFiacre (5210)
@judyev your country is truly bizarre - in the nicest possible way. I'd love to tide into town perched on the cowcatcher of a big old steam train. Nearest I got to it was riding into Ahmadabad on the roof of a big steam train along with half the population of Gujarat who were celebrating something to do with Indira Gandhi but I never found out what. I just joined in anyway.
This is back in the late 1890s. I think your ride would have been equally, if not more, intoxicating.
@Platespinner (17062)
I knew that. Too bad I can't remember why/how I knew that.... Some book I read/listened to in the last couple of years. Maybe Bill Bryson's One Summer: America, 1927? Hmmmm....
That's two of you who knew about his time in America.
Very interesting I have heard a lot about him, but not this.
He is one of the presidents whose name I recognised.
I didn't even know he was an engineer.
It seems from the comments he might have been a much better engineer than he was a president.
@JudyEv - That seems to be the general consensus. Other than they named Hoover Dam after him, I really don't know all that much about him.
@teamfreak16 Did you study them at school? Any of them or maybe just some?
I never knew about this, but I realized I don't know much about him, except he really didn't help the poor very much at the beginning of the Great Depression. I'm surprised how much I've learned in such a short time I've been on this site.
I know nothing about his Presidency either so I've learnt from this too. And, like you, I've learnt heaps of other things too.
This is new knowledge to me
I've been responsible for your 'new fact' today.
I didn't, and don't know anything about that president. Thanks for the information.
You're welcome.
@Fishmomma (11452)
When I attended school we studied all the Presidents and did chuckle at James response.
And did you agree with James? Were you taught that he wasn't such a good president?
@Madshadi (8921)
• Brussels, Belgium
Thats interesting. I haven’t heard much about him.
I don't know much about any of the American presidents although some are more high profile than others.
@franxav (5654)
An interesting piece of information. From the way he spoke, I'm sure the man was a special one too.
He seemed very highly regarded in Australia in those times.
I did not know this. I most associate Hoover with the depression. I don't know much about him otherwise.
@thelme55 (15059)
Thanks for the heads up. I know he was a US president but that´s all.