First world championship of the ugliest pullover

@topffer (30708)
France
I guess I missed something interesting today. In Albi, is organized the first world championship of the ugliest pullover. It is at 2 hours from my home by train, but I discover it only now, otherwise I would perhaps have competed with one of the Christmas pullovers that I received as gifts in the past (I wonder why Christmas pullovers are so ugly). However, watching the video, it seems that the bar is high : 600 candidates, many having worked a lot to knit a winner ugly pullover, mines would not have a chance. Have you an interesting pullover to present ? Would you knit one for next year competition ? The video starts with a commercial. Sorry for that.
Il y avait jusqu’à présent la journée internationale du pull moche de Noël, célébrée un peu partout à travers le monde. Désormais, il y a le championnat du monde de pull moche, dont la première édition se déroule à Albi ce week-end en marge du salon du Vin
I would have loved to assist at the competition. You are right, the Christmas pullovers are horrible. I think I have one that I received and never wore.
@topffer (30708)
• France
I would have noticed it 2 or 3 days ago that I would have gone there. It would have been an occasion to wear one of my ugliest pullovers.
@topffer I do not even know where my ugly Christmas pullover is. It is very possible that I have donated it to charities. I know it was not a nice thing to do, but possibly someone may like it.
@topffer (30708)
• France
@LadyDuck Winters are cold in Switzerland.
I don't really have an ugly pullover. I think I must have gifted all my ugly ones to the op shop. It sounds a fun competition.
@topffer (30708)
• France
I have not the courage to throw gifts away, but there are some that I would never wear, except for a competition like this one.
@topffer I've never been given a sweater as a gift. And don't you know it's bad luck to be superstitious?
@topffer (30708)
• France
@JudyEv I am not superstitious except when it comes to Friday the 13th.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
Walmart here sells a ton of them. Lol.
@topffer (30708)
• France
It is the right season to buy a ugly pullover.
It's funny the ugly Christmas sweater thing seems to be popular here too . . . I saw a cookie kit the other day to make/decorate ugly Christmas sweater cookies! Christmas is full of bright colors, twinkling lights, printed wrappings and ribbon, and iconic symbols for the holiday . . . but no one in their right mind should be dressing like that . I'm curious what the prize was for this competition! I don't knit. That being said, I think I could pull off knitting quite an ugly pullover - so ugly that it does not even look like a pullover and would fit no one !
@topffer I guess "ugly" is in the eye of the beholder . . . I actually didn't think his sweater (the world champ) was that bad (the deer in the forest one?). Or maybe I need glasses . The first photo I did think was ugly . . . festive but ugly . . . looks like Christmas threw up all over that pullover . Oh but I did find other photos in Facebook about it - yah, some of them are crazy ugly .
@topffer (30708)
• France
@much2say The jury had a hard task, and choosing the winner was indeed a bit subjective. I was invited to a birthday party this weekend, spoke of this championship, and they showed me a sweater having the head of a winner. Or more exactly the tail : it shows the back of a white rabbit with a tassel for the tail. Worn by a man, it can win next year.
@topffer Did someone actually handmake that rabbit tail sweater ? I don't know what possesses anyone to make such hideous sweaters, but even more incredible I don't know why people actually buy them (some of them are quite expensive!). But how prestigious to able to say you hold the title of world champion of ugly sweaters .
• Portland, Connecticut
I don't think I have ever had a Christmas pullover but I agree, they can be incredibly ugly. lol
@topffer (30708)
• France
You were lucky that nobody thought to offer you one of these pullovers.
• Portland, Connecticut
@topffer Yes I rather think I am.
• Denmark
Sorry, I only have good-looking pullovers. :-(
@topffer (30708)
• France
It is not too late to buy or knit a ugly one to compete next year.
@YrNemo (8678)
Never seen an ugly pullover before in my life, until I watched that clip. I will have to go search for more images of 'ugly pullovers'. I am curious now!
@topffer (30708)
• France
Sorry I had not seen your response, I will not miss this championship next year. I went to a birthday party Sunday, spoke of it, and they show me a sweater that can become a winner. It shows the back of a white rabbit with a tassel for the tail.
@YrNemo (8678)
@topffer sounds impressive . But ugly here mean the designs or patterns are ugly? Or the stitches, shapes, etc was ugly?
@topffer (30708)
• France
@YrNemo The global look was a mix of ridiculous and ugly, it gives it a chance to win. Ugly is indeed subjective, and the jury can decide otherwise.
@louievill (16341)
What a pity I can't see the video, it says that my browser does not support it, perhaps it's so ugly my smart phone does not want me to see it lol. Seriously I will try to view it on my desktop later.
@topffer (30708)
• France
There are a few candidates showing their masterpieces, and I can tell you that they are ugly, but I cannot tell how the jury will manage to chose the ugliest one. I think I will post a photo of it.
@louievill (16341)
@topffer yes please, do post it especially the winner
@topffer (30708)
• France
@louievill You will not be deceived.
@averygirl72 (14111)
Yeah it sounds fun. But I'm not sure what is a pullover. I think we don't have it here in my country
@topffer (30708)
• France
It is a sweater, maybe you have the luck to not need them in your country
@averygirl72 (14111)
@topffer Are there ugly pullovers? I thought all of them are cool looking
@averygirl72 (14111)
@topffer Yeah I see them they look weird. Is that French words. I don't understand the language
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Summer here, so no Christmas pullovers received as gifts (thank goodness) . There are really horrible ones ! Sorry you have received some, maybe next year one of them could help you win @topffer .
@topffer (30708)
• France
I should spend winter in the Southern Hemisphere. I am not in a cold area, but it was freezing this morning. It is a world championship, the bar is high but I might compete next year for the fun.
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@topffer, yes, to avoid receiving anymore ugly pullovers you should spend winter in the Southern Hemisphere . Here we were 8C with rain two nights ago, very odd weather for this time of the year. Absolutely, even if it is a world championship, it would be fun, even if you didn't win.
@topffer (30708)
• France
@bluesa Not sure that it reached 8°C today, but it is also odd, we had several days we 19/20°C last week. And it does not rain enough.
I watched the video, and since I barely speak baby French, I couldn't understand what they were saying. The one sweater with the patches was quite ugly. This was quite funny.
@topffer (30708)
• France
I am not surprised you did not understood. Our TV presenters are often speaking too fast, and the people interviewed had a Southern accent, it is not the accent you heard at school. They were presenting two competitors to give an idea. The women responsible for the patched one would have been deceived by the "quite ugly", they did their best to knit the ugliest. I have posted a photo of the winners by team in the thread started by louievill if you are interested.
@topffer I thought they were speaking exceptionally fast. I like the pink panther one, but the guy with blond hair is a close second.
@topffer (30708)
• France
@misunderstood_zombie They all won, it is the winning team. For the winner in the individual category, I posted a link in another thread, his pullover is horrible;
@kepweng (6407)
What language in link that you Shared?
@topffer (30708)
• France
What language do you think we speak in France ?
@jobelbojel (5145)
I never had Christmas pullover. :(
@topffer (30708)
• France
Maybe because you do need pullovers in your country.
Nope, I don't think that I've ever received an ugly sweater.
@topffer (30708)
• France
You have been lucky... or unlucky if you want to compete next year.
@Fleura (6225)
That could be fun, but if I had received one as a gift (thankfully I haven't) I would be too afraid of offending the giver to enter the competition.
@topffer (30708)
• France
Only if you win the prize and the giver see you at tv news wearing the ugliest sweater in the world.
@sol_cee (13620)
• Japan
Maybe you can try next year! lol
@topffer (30708)
• France
Yes, I saw one having a chance to be a winner last Sunday.
I do not know how to knit at all. So I will not knit one.
@topffer (30708)
• France
You can compete with a sweater bought in a shop.
@bunnybon7 (33133)
• Holiday, Florida
have had a couple in my time but not as bad as some I have seen. lol
@topffer (30708)
• France
I have not seen a photo of the winner yet, but those shown on the video are really ugly.