Once again, we call on some help from backpackers

Bunbury, Australia
Some of you know about the large bus that Vince and I converted into a very comfortable motor-home. It’s come time for us to sell it but so far we haven’t had a lot of luck. In an effort to improve its outside appearance, Vince decided to do a cut and polish on it. This involves applying a paste then polishing it off. The polishing involves hard rubbing which, over something as large as the bus, is quite difficult. So we decided to get two back-packers in to help. Donnybrook, Western Australia, has a lot of back-packers who mostly work on the orchards and vineyards. We were able to find two young men who were willing to help us out for a few hours. Of course, they do get paid. So while I’m sitting here typing, two young French lads from Montpelier are working up a sweat rubbing a shine into our bus. They have been out here two weeks and spent a week in Perth before coming to Donnybrook. One has spent six years at university studying neuro-psychology and the other is studying to be a lawyer. Vince told them they should stay friends as they might need each other later on in life. It turns out they are actually brothers! Isn’t it great that they can just take off and head to the other side of the world for a while?
That would be great! If travelling was free, I'd never stay in one place for a long time.
The one that was studying neuro-psychology has given up his course. He doesn't think he will finish it. He just wants to travel a lot more.
wow, so many peoples like free, including me!
• Preston, England
sounds like they are living the kind of adventure most of us can only dream of - great that you can hire them for the bus-work there
The ones we've hired have all been great workers and lovely people. Sometimes there is a bit of language difficulty so you have to explain things carefully but other than that, it works out well for us all.
• Preston, England
@JudyEv really handy for you and the backpackers alike
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
And no doubt they're happy to earn a few dollars making your campervan look all shiny and bright.
This is the first work they've had since they arrived so they were pretty pleased. They get pretty much the going rate for backpackers and it's cash in hand. They ended up staying for dinner and we played a board game and did a lot of chatting and laughing. They were very nice young men.
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
@JudyEv sounds like a lot of fun was had by all
@cahaya1983 (9655)
Oh, you don't have plans to travel with the motor-home anymore? It looks very nice inside. Good you got them to help with the polishing!
It is quite hard work and it is a big bus so it was good to have some help with it. We will be doing some more travelling but with a car and caravan.
I would love that bus! I want one to travel in and Plan to hunt for one around here.
It's a bit tricky to park sometimes. We have a caravan now which means we can leave it parked up somewhere and go off exploring in the 4WD. You can't do that with a bus.
I knew Europe has a lot of people who back across the countries, but I didn't know Australia was the same. Now, you and your husband will always be part of their memories on their great backpack adventure in Australia. Your RV looks really good.
Our town has up to about 400 backpackers at the height of the season. They work in the orchards, market gardens and vineyards.
@ilocosboy (33294)
Is this the interior of the bus, wow this is really amazing
Yes, that's the interior. There is a bedroom past the curtain.
@ilocosboy (33294)
your husband made this, wow it is really beautiful.
@ilocosboy We did it together. It was a regular bus when we bought it.
@Morleyhunt (16729)
The opportunities are there. We just need to reach out and grab them. One of my brothers dared a girl from Australia who was working her way around the world. She and a friend would settle somewhere for a couple of months...earn a few dollars and continue their journey. I seem to have waited a little longer for my big adventure...and it isn't quite that adventurous.
I was going to say that I don't think it was quite so easy when we were young but perhaps it was. But there were no mobile phones for emergencies and not such easy access to banks perhaps if you ran short.
Visiting the other sides of the world is very important to have an open minded attitude. You notice people who never went out from their little village.
Most of the young folk we've met have been very confident.
The interior looks very roomy.
It is roomy - much better than a caravan but the drawback is that it can be hard to park and there are some roads and attractions where it is just too big to take.
I hope that bus will look good when it is all done,
It does look a lot better for its cut and polish. Vince has touched up a bit of the paintwork as well.
@YrNemo (8630)
Wow, those two might even be our Topffer's relatives! (Did you manage to practice French with them?)
No but they'll possibly come out again one day and if they do, I'm going to get them to check my accent.
@YrNemo (8630)
@JudyEv You didn't ask our Topffer to do the checking for you last time you were in France?
@YrNemo No, I was too shy and couldn't think of anything to say in French.
@Fleura (6225)
Glad you found some helpers and yes, it's great that they have that opportunity. I am trying to figure out how to fit that kind of thing in again for all of us!
Do you mean travelling?
@Fleura (6225)
@JudyEv Yes, travelling as a family. I'm not too worried about fitting in time to wash vehicles ; )
@Fleura I'm sure it's a great education for children too, as well as being fun.
@m_audrey6788 (11509)
Yes it`s great taking off with a nice Van with comfortable things inside
It is like travelling within your own house.
@JudyEv Yes and enjoying the view
Yes, that is very neat..
It is a great way to travel.
I love the inside of the bus.
It's very convenient but just a bit hard to park sometimes. It is also a big vehicle and we're getting older all the time so we're 'down-sized' to a car and caravan.
@Fishmomma (11617)
I enjoyed my time traveling in a tent many years ago. You meet many people and learn about other parts of the country.
That would have been fun. I think it helps 'round out' a person and opens up their eyes and minds to how people, countries and cultures can differ from the ones they know best.
It is pretty cool must be fun.
We've had some great trips in it.
@hereandthere (24150)
two very smart brothers! i guess you conversed in a mix of french and english.
We stuck to English as their English was very good - much better than my limited French.
• Eugene, Oregon
It is wonderful and good that you all found each other as well.
They were nice lads, polite and hard-working. We've had a few out now to help in various ways and they've all been good.