I went to see the doctor

I MIGHT have the start of pneumonia. Cannot tell without x ray but I do not have insurance. XRays are not cheap. Some of my symptoms are indicative of pneumonia, so we are treating it as such. Doc said I might get better just with rest, or might feel really horrible and still have to come back, and miss more work. I have a cough suppressant so I can sleep, and a strong antibiotic. I will take tomorrow off work as well.
So sorry to hear that, pneumonia can be very debilitating. I hope that it doesn't develop into a severe case.
My daughter had it when she was 12 and was sick for quite a while afterwards.
@GardenGerty Yes, my husband had it a few years ago and it took him months to recover. Mind you, he wasn't in very good health anyway, so that doesn't mean that it will take you as long.
@jaboUK Overall, I am in good health. I just work around kids that are not, and then lots of family stress makes it worse.
@CinnamonGrl (5807)
• Paradise, California
Uh oh. I hope the antibiotic kicks in fast.
I think we caught it in time. I had thought I was getting better. She said I would not have gotten so sick if my coughing had not kept me from sleeping.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I hope you get better soon..
I am planning on it. Tomorrow will be much better I am sure.
That's not good news. Vince had pneumonia twice then got inoculated against it.
As soon as I am on Medicare I will get a pneumonia shot. I get my flu shot every year and I am pretty certain that is why this is not any worse.
Be very careful and take this seriously.
I am, that is why I took today off and saw the doctor and I will take tomorrow off as well. Glad hubby could drive me as I was just falling asleep sitting still.
Heathger mty x rays are free I have AAROcombined with'United health care plus medicare and drs na pptsfree ni opremium, a break on meds chec it'out as its a really good health insurance
I am not old enough yet, but will be making some changes. Right now I do something called direct care, pay a flat fee that is cheaper than insurance and she gets a discount on testing and has meds for me too. I can see her as often as I want or e mail, text, skype or whatever.
That antibiotic just may be the thing to have you recovering sooner than later.
Yes, I think so. It is a pretty strong one and I will take it once a day for only a week.
Pneumonia cannot be taken lightly. Better get that xray done - beg, borrow, or steal.
She is treating me as if we had a firm diagnosis. It has not gone very far at all. My dad had both pneumonia and sepsis just recently and that made me more proactive about getting in to see the doctor. An xray would not improve the treatment I am receiving.
@GardenGerty Since you said "cannot tell without xray" prompted me to ask you to beg borrow or steal
@allknowing If she had not provided treatment options, you can bet I would have gotten an xray. I know it is not cheap, but we would afford it. She just technically cannot say she is positive it is pneumonia, although it "sounds" like it when she listens to my lungs. I will see her again if it does not improve.
@sallypup (27114)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I'm sorry to hear this. Once I went to a doc cause of an upper back ache. She put a scope to my back and said You have pneumonia!! Wow. I easily get bronchitis so I shouldn't have been surprised. I went home with antibiotics. No X Rays but antibiotics.
I kind of thought I might have bronchitis, I have never been diagnosed with it. I took antibiotics home with me as well. There was no real need for the xray, she knew I felt crummy and did some diagnostic listening as well as taking note of my increasing symptoms.
@sallypup (27114)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@GardenGerty I'm glad you have a good doc. Some docs don't take the time to really find out what is going on.
@sallypup Instead of insurance, I go with a program called direct care. I pay a flat monthly fee and can see the doc as often as I want and she takes the time to discuss all kinds of things with me.
I hope the antibiotic is just what you need. I have had bronchitis that was bad, so I know how horrible it is to cough so much. I had a pneumonia vaccine many years ago. It is still good under new guidelines that say those under 65 only need one dose then it changes after that. I hope you are feeling better very soon.
I have never been diagnosed with bronchitis, but I am sure it is awful. I will get pneumonia shot this year, when I turn 65.
@GardenGerty that is good to know you will get that shot this year. I do know the new guidelines as one gets one shot before 65 and then there are guidelines for after that which forgot which i am sorry i can't tell you i think it might be yearly after that
@Marty1 No, basically you get the one shot, and then when you turn 65 they have another one. Usually you do not need the pneumonia shot yearly.
I have had pneumonia a couple of times. No fun. The one time I had to sleep setting up. I was sick for a month. I was weak and very ill. I wish you had insurance.
I was feeling really weak last night and finally talked myself into seeing the doctor. An xray would not make me better, so I do not mind. I do a program called direct care and for most things it is great and all my tests are much less than they ever were with insurance co pay. I am hoping that with the medicine and some extra rest I will be good to go for the last twelve days of work before Christmas break.
@GardenGerty ......I do hope so. I remember back before my Medicare kicked in there was a community type insurance for people in certain income brackets. It sure saved me. Every little bit helps.
@celticeagle I have a tribal membership that will let me see a doctor at the low income/tribal clinic. We also have some excellent charity/community clinics available on sliding scale. I am going to be old enough for Medicare this summer.
I had pneumonia a couple of years ago, and it really whipped my butt. I was so terribly sick. I can't believe that you can't get x-rays done unless you're insured, all of that is paid for up here. Feel better!
My daughter had pneumonia when she was 12. Her doc did not xray her and it took her FOREVER to get better cause she was really sick before she ever complained.
@GardenGerty I do not understand how anyone could accurately diagnose pneumonia without an x-ray, as far as I knew that is what determines it conclusively.
@Juliaacv Well, it gives visual proof. This old doc she had knew more about medicine than any three young ones. I am sure that my doctor will not say conclusively, because she did not get an xray, but we discussed treatments and all of them are basically for pneumonia. She also told me what symptoms supported the diagnosis, and what might contradict.
@db20747 (8144)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
Hope you are well. Do they have a charity hospital or center like Unity Health Care or urgent care where you pay a small fee to be seen at the hospital. If no insurance call the Department of Health in in your state and ask about insurance, medical charity, and state insurance programs and free health centers. Hope you're well. And soon!!
I have a direct care coverage that is very good and not too expensive.That is for the doctor I saw today. She has the ability to get me inexpensive tests for other things, but I do not thing I would have even felt well enough for the xray.
I also have tribal membership and can go to a free clinic because of it, if necessary.
Aww that is not good news I hope you get feeling much better quickly!
I bit the bullet and took time off for a couple of days. The medicine to stop the cough so I can sleep will help immensely, and so will the antibiotic.
@GardenGerty get lots of rest
@averygirl72 (16656)
Hope you get an xray soon. You need a lot of rest and good treatment to recover fast
An xray would not help my treatment, it would just give a definite diagnosis. I have medicine to help me rest and an antibiotic as well.
I hope it is not to bad so you do not miss much work.
I get sick pay, but I hate to let my team down.
@BarBaraPrz (19848)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Oh, poor thing! Hope you recover quickly.
I hope we got this taken care of in time. I used to stubbornly refuse to see a doctor and take too long to get things treated.
@kobesbuddy (46551)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I've had pneumonia twice, it's not fun! Take good care of your self and those antibiotics should get rid of it:)
I was smart enough not to be stubborn. I saw the doctor and that should take care of it, if not, well I can always go back.
@kobesbuddy (46551)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@GardenGerty I'm so glad you did go see the doctor!:)
@kobesbuddy In the past I have tended to neglect my own health. I would figure that eventually I would get better. I probably do not need to put myself through that misery.
If it's a viral pneumonia the antibiotics will not help at all, it's dangerous to give antibiotics only on the feeling it can be pneumonia, it can be, but which kind? If you have bacterial pneumonia, you’ll get antibiotics. If you have viral pneumonia, you only need to rest, drink a lot of fluids, and take something if you have fever.
I know about the differences between viral and bacterial infections. I had some symptoms of a bacterial infection, not viral. I had little to no fever either. I only have had antibiotics for dental problems for the last several years. Since I have had my flu shot it is less likely to be viral. It is more like a secondary, bacterial infection growing as the aftermath of my cold virus.
@GardenGerty In some people I have heard that the flu shot has triggered a pneumonia, their immune system was low when they had the shot and they got the problem.
@LadyDuck I try to always rest up well and be healthy before my shot. I work directly and closely with children who get one infection after another and so I get exposed to a lot of things. One of my coworkers is ill as well.
I'm sorry. =( I hope you get better really soon.
I am working on it and I do feel immensely better.
@GardenGerty That's really good to hear!