Medicine Commercials

@fishtiger58 (30689)
Momence, Illinois
As some of you know I hate commercials. So sick of those companies shoving anything from cars to pizza to medicine down my throat. It's getting to the point where there are almost more commercials than show. It's one of the reasons I watch netflix, no commercials. I read somewhere online that someone timed the commercials while watching a football game. A 3 hour football game had almost 1 hour of commercials. Yikes what a complete waste of time. The commercials don't make me want to run right out and buy something as I suppose they hope, rather it makes me want to scream. It makes me want to never ever buy that particular product again. I remember the time before cable tv. When they first started to advertise this great new way to watch tv, one of the main things they said is no commercials. That sure didn't last long. Now while car commercials are just awful with their pretty girls and racing cars, or how bout the Ford commercials with that famous actor I forget his name. They are just laughable and make me sick. But the worst ones are medicine commercials. Apparently some time ago it was decided that any and all side affects had to be mentioned. Now these commercials last like 3 minutes or more. Many of the side affects can be so much more horrible than what the docs are treating you for. For example... a pill for depression, if you have suicidal thoughts or develop a gambling addiction call your doctor. Wait what?? They are treating you for depression but it can get worse?? Well that just blows me away. A pill to treat some sort of heart ailment can cause heart attack or even death. Now while we are entitled to know all the side affects it's pretty darn scary that instead of getting better you could possibly get worse. And I for one am pretty darn sure I might decline the pill and take my chances. The side affects... well frankly they scare me half to death. I sit there watching these commercials and think how lucky I am to not have any health issues at my age... yet. The thought of putting all these chemicals into my body makes me want to find a cave and live in ignorance. Is there anyone out there looking for a non chemical solution? We have shoved antibiotics into our bodies so much and feed them to our animal food sources that the things we are trying to cure are mutating and now our antibiotics don't work much of the time. How many times have you heard of a kid on an antibiotic getting sicker because the antibiotic isn't working, it's not strong enough or has no effect on what the medicine is treating because of our overuse of this particular drug. I sure have. All this mess has me scared, I have read many articles about how the disease and such have mutated because of our overuse of antibiotics. As I said I would rather live in ignorance than be frightened on a daily basis when I see these medicine commercials. How do you guys feel about all this?
The side effects only happen to a few people, but the Big Pharma are so scared to be sued that they prefer to scare everybody and play safe. This is not honest and totally ridiculous. About the antibiotics it's true, in some countries doctors prescribe far too many antibiotics.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
Yes that's very true about the side effects but it's scary nonetheless. I just don't want to hear it anymore. How can chemicals be good.
@fishtiger58 Chemicals are never good, if hey should start to list the possible side effects of ready made food, we would stop eating.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
@LadyDuck Yea I shudder at the thought of whats in my food. I don't even want to go there.
Yeah, and the other thing about commercials, which was supposed to be changing, is they always come on at a higher volume then the TV programs you were watching. Yuk! I usually channel flip when the commercials come on unless it is one I find amusing.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
Yes they are way louder and I always mute and yes there are a few commercials I find funny, I think all should be funny then I wouldn't hate them so much. Love the one where the guys are lifting weights in a gym, Bro tato chip lol.
@fishtiger58 Yeah, I have seen that one. It is clever. Some of the medical ones are unrealistic though for sure..like the one for COPD where they are playing tennis..yeah right..most of them struggle to breathe..running around on a tennis court is highly unlikely.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
@snowy22315 Just a ploy to make you think that's where you will be if you take their medicine. Crazy.
When my doctor suggested one of those medications that are seen regularly on TV with all the side affects, I told him I didn't want anything to do with it. However, that's not to say he listened to me. Well, sort of, because he told me that all blood thinners act the same way, and one has more risk than the others, and that one isn't mentioned on any commercials. He said the ones on commercials have the deep pockets - all the studies done on them besides the lobbying. So I had no choice but to take a blood thinner. Thankfully it's only for one more month. I have a blood clot it's supposed to work to dissolve. I also learned, not from my doctor, but another reliable source, that those commercials are required by law to list all the side affects. As for commercials themselves. I absolutely hate them. I've timed them. There's a five minute commercial break every eight minutes. It's only at the beginning of the show you will get anywhere from ten to thirteen minutes before the first commercial. So annoying.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
Yes that's why the med commercials are so long now because it's required by law. A 5 minute commercial break every 8 minutes man that's completely nuts.
@fishtiger58 Yes, it is and why I prefer Netflix.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
@just4him Me too for sure. I watch what I want when I want and nooooooo commercials. It's a wonderful thing.
they have to put all the side effect to cover them .Mostly are not bad at all.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
yea I think it's law now that they have to tell the side effects, but the commercials are unbearably long now.
@fishtiger58 they are boring and long.lol
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
@amadeo They certainly are
@cahaya1983 (9415)
I hate commercials too but everytime it comes on the screen I'd either check my phone or go the kitchen or something. I've always opted for a natural solution whenever possible, but if there is no choice I'd consult a physician first. I don't trust commercials.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
Heck no they will lie to sell their product. I always mute the commercials.
Whenever commercials come on I mute them with my handy remote. I am not a meat eater, but I still worry about the fact that poultry, pigs, cows etc are usually injected with antibiotics. So when you ingest meat products you get the antibiotics as well.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
Yes you do and because of that and doc prescribing antibiotics when they are not needed or won't help has made antibiotics non effective. The mute button has become my best friend lol.
Some of the medication commercials are all right, but I have to wonder what it does to a sick person. That person who is a hypochondriac-does it make them dream up another ailment? Its nothing to joke about and should be taken seriously.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
I so agree, I know a few hypochondriacs
@fishtiger58 Some of the preventative commercials are good to a certain extent, like the ones for vaccinations, and even some of the vitamins and minerals that we can take. Of course most people do realize that even when taking those they need to consult their family physician.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
@Juliaacv They do and again there are chemicals in those vitamins,. I would rather get my vitamins from my garden.
Side effects listed are extremely rare, but if one person in a million experiences the side effect, it must be on the list. What would help would be rating side effects anywhere from "extremely rare" to "common," so that people would not freak out over side effects. As for commercials, I skip them all thanks to the handy remote.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
They do need to list how often they occur because it does scare people to think that might happen to them. I love the mute button I use it often
@fishtiger58 Yes, mute is a good friend of mine too. I think the concern is that those rare side effects have people ending up in serious condition due to fear. Cortisone, prednisone, has nasty side effects, but if I did not take it when my kidneys flare up, no more kidneys for me, so I will take it, and so far, no ill effects.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
@Corbin5 I do know that the majority of the population will have no problems with most meds but when they list it like that is just plain scary to think about.
@Micmac (6830)
I'm glad I can record my tv shows on my DVR and skip over the commercials. I hate the commercials that show a product and people are dancing around like there's no tomorrow just because they used that product. What a fake circus show.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
Oh yea they will say anything to get you to buy their product. I have no use for that being shoved down my throat.
@Micmac (6830)
@fishtiger58 Yes, they are very deceiving. It's amazing how someone will perform superhuman acrobatic feats to push a product on commercials, and they never get injured.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
@Micmac yup it's all just a ploy to get you to purchase.
@dpk262006 (54604)
Yes, you are right that commercials about medicines do not serve any purpose, as we just cannot know its side affects. It is also said that if we are required to take any medicines, it should be taken only after the advice of the Doctor.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
Very true and yet they still try to see their medications on tv.
@dpk262006 (54604)
@fishtiger58 These are called 'over the counter medicines', which could be bought without any prescription.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
@dpk262006 Some are not they will say something like talk to your doctor.
@YrNemo (8432)
I avoid taking medication in general unless I get too desperate. I have seen people who like taking them just because they can, and the side effects turned them into real evil doers. (Other than that, I watch all the funny commercials and avoid the rest. Those are so time-consuming!)
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
I do like a commercial that makes me laugh. But those are the only ones I watch. The rest is a waste of my time and their money.
@YrNemo (8432)
@Ganma7 (1980)
Way too many. They take up 1/2 of the show time or more. Recently I was watching tv and heard them mention in a commercial that this is where I like to do number 2. That was it for me. Way too much info and ignorant. Who cares? Yuck
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
I think they should ask us viewers how their commercials are affecting our desire to buy their products, I'm sure they wouldn't be to happy about the answers.
@Ganma7 (1980)
@fishtiger58 I agree totally. That is not an appropriate commercial
Some have a whole lot of side effects, that's for sure.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
Some really scary side effects.
I haven't seen a commercial in a while. If it doesn't come on Hulu--no commercials or Netflix or YouTube, I usually don't watch it.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
I don't want them anymore either, but my hubby will watch free tv and there are plenty of commercials there
That is why I do not do medication, it makes something else break down. I have been told by more than one doctor, we can cure ourselves with change in diet.
Welcome to the universal club of "Sick Of Commercials". All money they spend will not make me buy their stuff.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
Nope me either, sick of being shoved down my throat.
We have a book called 'Is the Medicine Making You Ill' and that's pretty interesting reading too.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
I bet it is, I might have to see if I can find that book.
OH good lord. I would give up all tv in this case. I watch youtube all the time and hulu.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
Yup I rarely watch free or cable tv, but hubby does so I do see those commercials now and then.