Pink Eye and Swollen Tonsils

Yesterday I brought Little Miss to see an ENT regarding her swollen tonsils. I was relieved to hear that the doctor doesn't think she will need surgery to remove the tonsils at this time. She also told me that having the croup for 6 weeks is normal and I don't have to worry about it unless she runs a fever. The tonsils are causing her to snore quite a bit and she said that too is normal. However, I don't have to worry about her stopping breathing, which I of course was doing. She said the brain kicks in and tells her lungs to breath. The doctor put her on a six-day step down of prednisone. She called the order into Walmart pharmacy. I stopped there on our way home and found they would have to order the medicine and it wouldn't be available until Monday. So I called around to our other pharmacies and they don't have it either. Long story short, we wait for the medicine. Hopefully the medicine will shrink her tonsils. I have to follow-up with her pediatrician and will do so after she finishes with the meds. The pink eye started to appear yesterday when we were at the ENT appointment. I noticed her eyes beginning to turn pink and they were running as well. Last night they became goopy and she is very sensitive to lights. I had medicine for her and tried to put it in her eye. After a 30 minute struggle, I gave up. I have to call the doctor's office this morning to get her a prescription for drops. The ointment is too difficult to administer. Hopefully she gets better with time. But when is the question. This has been a long haul.
Are you sure she has not conjunctivitis? This could be treated as soon as possible, if this is the case.
I am waiting for the doctor's office to call in a prescription for her. I do have an ointment that I used for her when she had it a few months ago. She won't let me put the ointment in her eye. I have asked for eye drops instead.
@ElusiveButterfly I used eye drops when I had the problem. I hope it's nothing serious, poor kid.
Sorry to hear that she is not feeling well. I'm also on some kind of Prednisone meds because of a viral thing. Hope the meds will help her out.
I hope they help as well. If they don't they are sending her to another healthcare facility that specializes in pediatrics.
I've heard that when a child has a tantrum and holds their breath they can get to the point of turning blue but then an involuntary reaction happens and they breathe despite themselves.
I was relieved that my worries are for not. Of course, I still wake in the night to check on her.
@Platespinner (18557)
Poor Little Miss and poor you!
She will get better, and I hope soon. Hate to see her not feeling well.
Poor little girl, I do hope that you can get the pink eye under control by the time that prescription is ready in a few days. They really pick up a lot at daycare don't they?
I too have pink eye, so I know that is where she got it. Calling the office now. Had to leave a message for the oncall doctor because the office is closed. They will call me back when the office opens at 9.
@Ithink (6782)
Poor little Miss .. and poor you. I remember the worry of a young child being sick. I still worry with my older ones and of course Tessa. Hope she gets better fast.
Hopefully once the medicine takes effect she will feel better. It has been a long run for her.
@Ithink (6782)
@ElusiveButterfly So she has been sick for awhile?
@Ithink at least 8 weeks now.
I would think the drops would easier, although I struggled to get those in. I used them when our son had pink eye, which he seemed to have often. Poor Little Miss is having a rough time of it.
She gives me a rough time with getting the drops in. Now we are doing prednisone for her swollen tonsils. I am told that she will be wired for sound. Yay me!
@ElusiveButterfly Oh yes, prednisone is what I took as a kid for kidney disease, and I have had to take it 3 more times, 6 months worth, over the years for kidney flare-ups. She'll be zoomin'! I was the experiment kid at age 5 for the pill form of prednisone at Children's Memorial Hospital. The other kids got the shots. I was the lucky one.
@Corbin5 she is taking a liquid that I need to give her twice a day. Should be a fun night.
Oh the poor dear. I hope she's feeling better soon.
Started her on the prednisone step-down today. Hopefully she does well with it.
@ElusiveButterfly I hope so too. I found I can't take any kind of steroids. I get a very bad reaction from them.
@just4him she is doing well although she is a bit hyper from it. I was worried that she wouldn't sleep well, but that hasn't been the case.
I am so sorry for Little Miss. Maybe the pharmacy didn't have the medicine because there are many sick people and the pharmacists had to fill other prescriptions before you brought them Little Miss' prescription? i hope she gets better and your pink eye gets better, too. I am glad she doesn't need surgery. don't forget to take care of yourself, too
It isn't often prescribed because most people take the medicine in pill form.
@ElusiveButterfly Oh, i am sorry. I misunderstood your post. Please forgive me. I am hoping and sending good wishes and good, warm thoughts to both of you
@Marty1 oh don't worry about it sweetie. We are doing well and thank you for your thoughts of us. I appreciate it ever so much.
Sorry about the pink eye and waiting for the meds, but yay for no surgery! As of right now anyways.
She started the meds today. I really hope this works Courtney!
@ElusiveButterfly me too! Goodluck!
Poor little Miss. I wonder why they did not give you drops in the first place.
Even getting her to calm down so I can put the drops in is a battle. Hubby has to hold her down and I have to put the drops in.
Bless you ever loving heart. That's good she doesn't have to have her tonsils removed. Mine were gone by age four. It's so annoying when pharmacies are out of things that are quite common.
I finally got the medicine last night and started the treatment today. Hoping for good results.
Oh goodness, poor baby and poor you! I really hope she gets better soon.
She is like the energizer bunny and just keeps on going! She will nap though and I am grateful that she will nap. She gets so zapped if she misses her nap.
@Dena91 (3700)
Sorry that she is sick. Prayers she gets to feeling better soon.
Thank you. It has been a long time since she has not been battling something.