Another friend passes

Bunbury, Australia
We lost another good friend the other day. We had lost touch a bit over the years so were very saddened to be rung by a mutual friend and told the sad news that he had passed. We lived in a small isolated country town at the time and he lived across the road. If our lights were still on at 9pm he’d throw a stone on the roof which was the signal to put the kettle on as he was coming over for coffee. He was very intelligent but a bit ‘different’. We were careful which friends we introduced him too as he had a PhD in getting up people’s noses. One time he had me watering his so-called tomato plants while he was away. I was too naïve to realise they were marijuana plants and I diligently watered them every day and was thrilled when they thrived. He was a fantastic photographer and bushman and I’ll include a link to his photos if I can. There are 2,000+ for you to look at but any one of them would be a great photo. The photo shows us ready to go to a fancy dress ball. Our friend is Boy George, I am Lady Diana and no points for guessing who Vince with the big ears is! My ribbons say ‘Champion Ewe’. Sorry about the quality but this would have been taken in the early 1980s.
Explore Alan Carmichael's 2,461 photos on Flickr!
So sorry to hear of the loss of an old friend. Sounds like you had lots of fun together. Great picture of the three of you.
So sorry for your loss.
He was such a funny guy but very talented in many areas.
@andriaperry Thanks Andria.
@cahaya1983 (9632)
Sorry to hear about your friend. Eccentric people can be the best of friends. You sure have a lot of fond memories with your friend.
some people are unforgettable precisely because they're eccentric.
@hereandthere So true. I like their distinct character, I know a few people like that and everyone enjoys being around them.
We did have a lot of fun times together.
@josie_ (5115)
Thanks for the link which I bookmarked. They're fantastic photography. They will serve as a lasting memorial to your friend and his life's work.
i went and looked. some of them looked like paintings.
He really has some incredible images. He loved the bush and the outback and it shows in his photography.
@hereandthere Some do look like paintings. I guess he has photo-shopped some of them a little.
@Shiva49 (9653)
Nature photography at its best - a gifted photographer. Parting brings memories flooding back - siva
He has some incredible landscapes.
I am so sorry for your friend. This photo is funny, you do not need to say who Vince is.
I thought most people would catch on.
@ElicBxn (60081)
Its Prince Charles, @LadyDuck
@ElicBxn Of course he is Prince Charles.
@WorDazza (8649)
• Manchester, England
Wow! The guy was an amazing photographer. Those pictures are just breathtaking. Amazing talent and oddness are quite often bedfellows but it all makes for a far more interesting person to be around. It sounds as if he will leave a huge hole in the lives of those he touched.
It's pretty obvious isn't it that he loved the outback. I'm glad you like the photos. I wonder what will happen to it all now. He has no relatives - not that his friends know of and we don't think he left a will. He will be absolutely spewing if the government gets everything as he was very anti-bureaucracy.
@cttolledo (2322)
• Batangas, Philippines
It's nice to know that you had a good times to remember with your friend before he passes away.. He may rest in peace.
Thank you. Yes we have great memories of our times together.
tthats so sadd w jh en oi ne l oises nod froe ds like t hat
Great photo and sorry for your loss RIP to your friend.
@hereandthere (24137)
you two have so many friends because you're great people. you look like a college student.
Thank you. I would have been about 34 or 5.
@JudyEv i was about to add that you looked too young for "prince charles" then i remembered they did have an age gap!
@hereandthere I like the ears!
• Eugene, Oregon
Great old photo! What year was that, Judy? Sorry to hear that your friend passed, so many of mine have.
It would have been 1981 or 2. When we came back after so long away we did wonder who might have passed away while we were absent.
• Eugene, Oregon
@JudyEv His photos are spectacular!
@JamesHxstatic He travelled to a lot of isolated places to get some of his photos. He really loved the bush and the outback.
My condolence on the loss of your friend. I'm sure she lived a great life, which is more important.
Yes, he lived his life under his own terms.
That explains his ears......now I get it! I'm so sorry for your loss, it sounds like you had quite the unique relationship.
We used his photos for some of the postcards that we got done for the town. I wrote about it once.
@Telynor (1142)
This has been a brutal year. A few days ago, I lost a very dear online friend to cancer. It's awful, and the blows keep coming.
I'm sorry you lost your friend. I hope next year will be better for you.
@PainsOnSlate (19212)
The photos are fabulous and I loved hearing about him, I was laughing as I read your post...
He would come over early in the morning and put the kettle on then we'd get up and all have coffee together. He did this one morning but we never came out so in the end he peeked in the bedroom and we weren't there. We'd gone away for the night and hadn't told him. No-one locked doors in those days. He said he scuttled off home very quickly. When he caught up with us again next day, he gave us a good serve for not telling him we'd be away.
@JudyEv That is just too funny. Loved reading it. I think I grew up with locked doors, and that is the way I live. Not lovcked during the day but at night YES.
@PainsOnSlate I don't think we ever found a key for that house. It is different now of course.
@Fleura (6220)
He certainly had a talent for capturing some beautiful images, and he sounds like a really interesting character. You will miss him.
As I said we had lost touch a bit but when we did catch up we just carried on where we'd left off. He spent a lot of time out 'bush' taking photos.
@Fleura (6220)
@JudyEv It's great when you have old friends like that, and you still miss them being there, even if you didn't often see them.
@Fleura That's true. We have lots of stories about him to remember.
@peachpurple (10733)
Sorry to hear the passing, may he rest in peace
Thank you. It's very sad.
I am sorry to hear about your friend! He sounds like he was quite a character. I like his little signal of throwing a pebble on the roof if he was coming for coffee at night.
We would do the same to him but not so often as we had small children. One night another neighbour threw a stone on both our rooves.
@JudyEv lol that would have been a harmless prank.
@shaggin We thought it was very funny - as did the neighbour who did it.
@LeaPea2417 (15359)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Sad to read. May he RIP.
Thank you. We need to keep in touch with old friends as you never know when the end is near.
@LeaPea2417 (15359)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@JudyEv I do agree with that.
I'm sorry to hear this. He sounds like he was a pretty cool guy.
Did you have a chance to check out his photos? No pressure but you might be glad if you do.
@JudyEv - Oh yes, quite beautiful photos. He was really good.