Our Mud Road

With the freeze at night thaw during the day cycle and adding some significant rainfall, our road has turned into an epic mud hole. Our local Jehovah's Witness friends decided to drop by and pay my wife a visit and barely managed to drive out under their own power. We don't even try we leave it at the end of the road and walk in. Half a kilometre mud boot slog. After the visit, they went to where I work for coffee and ran into me. While the daughter ordered their coffee, they went across the street to the car wash to clean their van up. A good bit of our road was splattered all over it. The old-timers who come in every morning know where I live and found the whole thing pretty amusing. Would you dare run your car through this?
@Morleyhunt (16548)
We always mark visitors by whether or not they know how to back up. Our driveway has a bit of a curve...not dramatic but significant if you try to go straight. Over the years we have had many people bury their vehicle in our front yard. The worst ones required a tractor or CAA to come with a tow truck. At election time of year, when many strangers venture down the driveway...we actually stand and watch. If they can't back up...we certainly wouldn't consider voting for them.
Actually, my driveway looks a lot better than the road. When we first got here we paid for a load of shale for that. It can get a little muddy but at least it's solid. My hats off to anyone who can navigate our road without a four wheel drive right now. A little foolhardy to try but I will give them credit.
@Morleyhunt (16548)
@koopharper then I guess I'll avoid your road too. I don't have or intend to get four wheel drive. I prefer to stick to the pavement or our potholey gravel driveway. I even try to stay out of our lawn, just to prove you can back up without missing the driveway
I drive a van with a really light rear end so I get bad traction on stuff, but I have it loaded with heavy sound equipment...but I'd probably walk.
You might make it with a van. My car doesn't have enough clearance. It might get worse before it finally freezes solid. You could sink right to the axles.
Oh goodness, this road really looks very bad, I am glad we have nothing like this near our home.
Technically the province disowned it years ago. The only maintenance it gets is from the people who use it regularly. At one time this was the main route between Sackville, NB and the small towns on the Northumberland Strait. It's certainly past its glory days.
@koopharper The road serving our little community of 8 houses is private, we have to take care of it. Six of us are keeping the road in very good condition, the two at the bottom refused to have it asphalted, it is their problem, they only use the last 30 meters, they drive in the mud.
@LadyDuck I wish I had the financial means to maintain it at least up to my place. The ditches need to be dug out in places and new shale needs to be brought in to fill in a few of the small lakes. After that, a nice layer of gravel would be nice. Half a kilometre of that kind of work won't come cheap though.
@Platespinner (18472)
After being stuck in the mud on the off road trails with our brother, I am very wary of mud. My husband has gotten both my Sienna and his work truck (a massive Dodge Ram) stuck in our back yard. I think he's learned his lesson.
You hope he's learned his lesson.
@koopharper he did inherit his Dad's old Nissan pickup (it's older than our oldest child), so it's probably just a matter of time.before he gets it stuck...
@josie_ (5092)
How long does it take the mud to harden to make it passable?
The weather either needs to freeze hard or we need a dry spell where it doesn't freeze at all. Either way, when winter really gets here it won't be passable by car because of the snow unless someone pays to have it ploughed. I don't have that kind of money. We are used to having to hike in for most of the winter.
@josie_ (5092)
@koopharper _Not much activity then. Wouldn't it be great if we could just hibernate like some bear species until spring?
@josie_ We have black bears here and if they haven't gone into hibernation they will soon. They probably are since the food they fatten up on beforehand is all gone. Nice to not have to worry about them for the whole season. Sometime I wish I could just hibernate through it all.
Oh, I think I would not drive my car over the mud road. I would walk to make my way forward.
A wise choice. My son is making a trail through the bush alongside the road on higher ground so that we will be able to walk around the worst of the mud.
Our driveway isn't paved and sometimes looks like that too.
Our driveway was properly shaled when we first moved here. It may not be paved but it looks far better than the road.
My luck I would get stuck.
Wouldn't need a lot of bad luck to get stuck in that.
@Scrapper88 (1203)
This is why I will not live on a road like this.
This is the place I can afford. The road isn't usually this bad.
I would avoid a muddy track like that.
Most people in their right mind would.
I wouldn´t
It isn't worth it. The farmer on the corner would think I was stupid.
No I do not want a dirty car.
The car gets dirty anyway. I'm more worried about having to get the local farmer to come with the tractor and haul my butt out of there.