A Christmas Memory from Long Ago

When responding to @JolietJake comment on my discussion about Making Memories, I had a memory from long ago. JJ mentioned that he has a branch from a tree for his decorations. It took me back to when I was in my teens. My mother for many years did not celebrate Christmas because of her choice in religion. Then after an awakening, she realized that it wasn't the religion she had thought it to be. She told my baby sister that we would be celebrating Christmas that year. Being a single parent, she had little money to buy much for us. I had money saved from baby sitting jobs. I also had a Friendly Home Party and was able to get gifts for my mother and my siblings. We didn't have money for a tree so I took it upon myself to make sure we had something. I bought green garland and tacked it to a wall in the shape of a tree. To that I added a string of lights and placed an aluminum foil star at the top. It wasn't much, but it served the purpose. Doesn't take a lot to bring a little Christmas cheer. Just have to look for it deep in your heart.
The last sentence says it all! That is the way that it should be! Thanks for sharing this wonderful memory.
Thank you Laurel. I had forgotten about it until J J triggered it.
A lovely memory.
Thank you!!
With or without a tree, as long as you've got the spirit in your heart, you're there. You were a pretty imaginative and smart young girl to do all that you did for your family-shows a lot of maturity and love.
I had to mature and accept responsibilities at an early age.
I do think that this a good memory to ponder.
Thank you!
What you say is so true. I hate seeing people get all uptight about Christmas. It really shouldn't be such a stressful time.
I try not to get stressed at this time of year. Better to enjoy every minute.
That tree you created certainly made for some welcome holiday cheer. Amazing what a person can do when they are bound and determined to bring some happiness into their home.
One of my favorite Christmas movies is "Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas." They have a Christmas branch instead of a tree.
@ElusiveButterfly I want to see "Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas." Sounds so cute.
@Corbin5 my SIL gave us a DVD of it 7 years ago. We watch it every year.
That sounds like a fun Christmas memory.
It brought warmth to my heart to remember and share it.
@BarBaraPrz (17536)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
One year we didn't get a tree as we were going to be at my grandmother's over the holidays, but my youngest sister brought home the little tree they had in their grade 3 classroom. Surprised the heck out of my mother.
Even a little tree brings huge joy.
That's amazing! And your right, we should all remember this. =)
We didn't have much. I wanted to make sure that my siblings and mother had a little something. It was a good Christmas.
@1creekgirl (8705)
What a special memory for you.
Thank you.
@Dena91 (3689)
What a great memory. Thanks for sharing
Thank you!
• Derby, England
There are lots of alternative trees I have seen on creative sites that I thought I might try one year!
I could do one that isn't traditional, but not as our main tree.