Oops I did it again!

I was at the grocery store today doing the weekly shop for next week and to get what I needed to make cookies for a Christmas cookie swap on Saturday. I went over to the meat cases to pick up steaks to make for dinner tonight and then I couldn't help myself. . . . . . I went over to the Manager's Sale section. It was loaded up! I swore not to buy any more meat until I used up a bunch of what we already had in the freezers but I couldn't help myself! I got small packages of organic skirt steaks for less than $3 each, bison filet 2 packs for $5.35 each, and 2 packages of beef braciole for $7 each. The steaks and bison went into the freezer (and fit! ) but I put the braciole into the fridge. I will make a pot of homemade red sauce on Sunday and simmer them in that. Yum! I haven't had braciole in forever. Have you ever had bison before? (I haven't.) What about braciole?
@Scrapper88 (1226)
I have not tried either one yet. I would like to try bison though.
I figure bison can't be tooooo much different from beef and probably tastes even BEEFIER and better!
@NJChicaa it does have a much stronger taste then beef. It is very lean.
@Happy2BeMe cool! I look forward to trying it!
I have never had braciole before but i have has bison before and i really liked it. It was quite some time ago though.
oh wow braciole is soooo good. I'm such an Italian-American it is gross! It is beef (or pork) pounded out thinly, sprinkled with a filling of grated Parmesan, garlic, parsley (and sometimes other herbs), and some people even put a hardboiled egg inside too! Then they roll the meat up, tie it, and slowly braise it in a flavorful tomato sauce. Braciole is one thing that I've never attempted making myself though I bet I could make a banging version of it. Maybe in 2018!
@NJChicaa that sounds really good. I know I would like it. I must look around and see if I can find it.
@Happy2BeMe My local grocery store has it in the specialty meat case. If you have a butcher or a specialty Italian shop, they will likely have it. If you really want to get crazy, you can make "Sunday Gravy". That's when you make a big pot of red sauce with a few different types of meat--meatballs, sausage, braciole, pork ribs and/or beef short ribs (I've done both at once)--and let it simmer slowly for hours on a weekend day while you are at home. Makes the most outstanding sauce plus you get all of that yummy meat to put on your pasta! If it is just you and your fiance, pick 2 or 3 meats and do those so it isn't super expensive and you don't have 45 gallons of sauce/meat to deal with!
@Morleyhunt (16688)
I've not had either. My freezer holds very little meat at the moment (besides the two frozen turkeys). Some good sales would be welcome.
I get most of my meat on the manager's "last day" sales. . . the stuff that is on the last "sell-by" date. It is still perfectly fine so I buy up as much as I can of whatever they have of things that we eat--ground turkey, skirt steak, ground chicken, hell I even snagged 2 packages of Pat LaFrieda (very well-known NYC meat-seller) Truffle burgers at 50% off 3 weeks ago! (must remember to buy buns one of these weeks!) I get pork tenderloins, chicken thighs, even steaks sometimes. I just freeze it when I get home and then defrost when I'm ready to use it.
@Morleyhunt (16688)
@NJChicaa I do the same...but my grocery store doesn't have a lot of meat in the reduced...last day bin. The cashier is usually impressed by the number of 50% off stickers in my grocery cart.
@Morleyhunt Mine too! hahaha
Well, I have never had bison or braciole. I did have Brussels sprouts for dinner, though. Being a vegetarian can be a bit pitiful at times when one lacks creativity. I lack creativity.
That sounds terrible.
@NJChicaa Actually, quite good. Might chow down on some vegetarian refried beans later on.
@Blondie2222 (18207)
I haven't had either before and don't plan to try it. You'll have to let us know how the braciole is when you have it. I don't even know what that is ?
I described it down below.
@Blondie2222 (18207)
@NJChicaa Okay thanks
@KristenH (20447)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
No I probably never have or never will for both. Hope it turns out good for you.
I feel badly for someone who goes to their grave without ever having braciole!
@KristenH (20447)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@NJChicaa Aww. It does sound familiar to something my mother made in the past. I'm not sure. If there was a poultry version, I might try it.
Gee I haven't had braciole in ages and actually I never had bison. Does bison taste like beef?
I don't know. I've never had it before.
@LoriAMoore (10009)
Yes I've had bison. Have no idea what braciole is.
Mmmm. Braciole is soooooo good.
Ive never had either. Sounds like you got some good deals though youll have to make room in the freezer!!
I know! That's what I did!
No not braciole but I have had Bison and I liked it.
If you are ever in the mood for a good Italian-American meal, buy some braciole and simmer it low and slow in homemade red sauce or your favorite bottled one with or without your favorite other meats. There is nothing like Sunday Gravy. See above for instructions! hahaha
I have never had either. Don't know what braciole is.
I explained it to Laurel below. It is an Italian-American specialty!
No, I never have. Your story reminds me of my husband. He loved the sale area in the meat department, and was always so happy to find a steak at a good price.
You are too funny! Lol! I've had braciole a few times, thanks to my paraprofessional who was Italian. Yay to her for feeding me. I heard bison was good from my older son, but I can't bring myself to eat it. Let me know what you do with it and what you think.