Pohutukawa, the New Zealand Christmas Tree

NZ Christmas tree, pohutukawa
By Val
@valmnz (12758)
New Zealand
One of the things I love about our New Zealand summer Christmas is when the pohutukawa tree blooms. Some of you will have seen the photo above, as I use it most years. The pohutukawa flowers in December and this year seems to be prolific everywhere. It has become known as the New Zealand Christmas tree. The first recorded Christmas Day service in New Zealand was conducted by the missionary Samuel Marsden in 1814. He had just arrived a few days earlier on the brig 'Active' and landed in the Bay of Islands in the northern part of the country. The service was outdoors in a beach clearing, in an area that had few Europeans at that time. Seats for the Europeans attending the service were made from Maori canoes. This little gathering was surrounded by green New Zealand native trees and made more memorable because of the bright red pohutukawa flowers. The recent arrivals may have had difficulty celebrating Christmas so far from their English home, but this summer scene must have made a welcoming sight.
It's beautiful!
@valmnz (12758)
• New Zealand
Yes, it's a special part of our summer Christmas here in NZ.
I think it is a perfect Christmas tree in the backyard. Is it possible to cut them down as an indoor Christmas tree?
@valmnz (12758)
• New Zealand
They're not used as indoor Christmas trees, but left to grow in their natural state. We use pines for that. They're called the Christmas tree because they flower in December and they are bright and colourful .
@valmnz It was nice to be informed, my friend. Actually, it is my first time to see a kind of tree.
@xFiacre (4438)
@valmnz I do recall you mentioning this tree. The only summery Christmases I've had were spent in Goa on the beach.
@valmnz (12758)
• New Zealand
As far as I'm concerned, the beach is the best place to be to celebrate Christmas! However these days we avoid all the bustle and crowds.
@sallypup (27114)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Summer for Christmas. I want to try that sometime. Lovely trees.
@valmnz (12758)
• New Zealand
It's all I know an I love it
@PatZAnthony (12660)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
The trees look similar to something we have here, but could not tell you the name of the tree.
@valmnz (12758)
• New Zealand
Someone once told me the name of the tree family it belongs to - but I can't remember :-)
Those are nice New Zealand Christmas trees.
@LeaPea2417 (20446)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That is a beautiful tree and I learned something new today because I had never heard of the Pohutukawa Tree.
Absolutely lovely!
It's a beautiful tree, and perfect for Christmas with its beautiful red flowers.
It must have become a genetic thing that people living in the Northern hemisphere associate Christmas with winter.
The trees are beautiful, I can imagine how difficult if was to celebrate Christmas in summer coming from Europe.
@kepweng (14768)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
is that tree can Bear Fruits?
I have not heard of summer Christmas and Pohutukawa before.Your post widens my knowledge. The pohutukawa looks like bottlebrush tree.
It's so pretty. I love the plants and birds of your country.