Swamp Apes, PTSD and Pythons in the Everglades

Eugene, Oregon
I have been fascinated (and little horrified) at the thought of Burmese Pythons, turned loose in the Everglades by irresponsible "pet" owners. They are decimating the Everglades native species can grow to nearly 20 feet in length and over 100 pounds. That is one big ugly snake! Lots of people hunt these monsters, but I heard a story this week of a group of US military veterans who call themselves the Swamp Apes, who combat their PTSD problems with camaraderie and the thrill of the hunt in capturing these big snakes. One vet I read about says, it helps keep away the nightmares. Most of the captured snakes are euthanized by authorities. The "Apes" have been around for a few years now trying to reduce the python population, which is estimated at over 100,000 and doing themselves some good too. Link to the Swamp Apes website:
EndureEvolveAchieve Dedicated to serving Veterans through serving the Wilderness The Swamp Apes Established April 29, 2009 Founding Chapter of the Volunteer Wilderness Alliance View on Mobile
That is an interesting post! These men will have enough to do for many more years when there are already about 100.000 snakes around now.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes and those snakes are prolific breeders.
@JamesHxstatic Are they poisonous or do they kill their victims by crushing them?
@MALUSE The boa constrictor or the python does that. That's how the boa constrictor got its name - it coils around its prey and squeezes , suffocating the victim by constricting its breathing.
@sallypup (27133)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I'm not usually into hunting but this sounds good and healthy.
• Eugene, Oregon
It is for sure. Those snakes are invasive and breed like rabbits.
@sallypup (27133)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@JamesHxstatic Now that's a gruesome picture.
I know all about these wonderful Apes and those awful pythons. I hope the Apes get them all. I'm afraid to visit the Everglades because of those snakes.
• Eugene, Oregon
I can imagine that walking under trees there could be a dangerous thing.
@JamesHxstatic I get the shivers just thinking about it! Merry Christmas to you!!!
• Eugene, Oregon
@DianneN Happy Hannukkuh to you, Dianne!
I would be scared to live in that part of Florida. People are irresponsible, they buy any kind of wild animals as pets and when they grow, they get rid of them without thinking to the consequences.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, what was once small can grow to unmanageable sizes.
@JamesHxstatic Look how cute baby alligators are and how big and dangerous they become.
• Eugene, Oregon
@LadyDuck That is a good example, Anna.
@moffittjc (43033)
• Gainesville, Florida
Wow, as a Floridian who hears and reads about the pythons all the time, I must admit I hadn't heard about the Swamp Apes! That is awesome what they are doing! Those snakes are so darn elusive, despite their giant size, so it must be a great thrill for these guys to hunt and capture them!
• Eugene, Oregon
I am sure it is. I heard an interview on NPR with reporter along when they were out about 12 hours and got a 15 footer.
@moffittjc (43033)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JamesHxstatic Wow, a 15-footer is quite a catch, considering the record in the Everglades is only a little over 19 feet!
That's a great service they are performing. And it's good if they find it therapeutic.
• Eugene, Oregon
It really is good on both sides.
@JamesHxstatic There are four Vietnam vets in Vince's casual golf group and they are TPIs (totally and permanently incapacitated). They all have PTSD. I think the golf (which involves a lot of banter followed by coffee and chips) is quite therapeutic for them too. While we were away, one 'regressed' and spent about 10 weeks in hospital. Thankfully he seems much better now.
@PatZAnthony (12657)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
This has been an issue for a long time, but hopefully the Swamp Apes will get these under control soon.
• Eugene, Oregon
I'm afraid it will take an army of vets to do that.
I appreciate what they are doing to reduce the population. Any snake frightens me
• Eugene, Oregon
Many snakes are quite beneficial, but these pythons are bad news.
It is nice of the military veterans to capture these big snakes off their own bat.The pythons damage the native ecological balance.
• Eugene, Oregon
They certainly do wreak havoc with native species.
I couldn't do it. Snakes make me wig out.
• Eugene, Oregon
Might be fun to hunt them, but someone else could do the wrestling.
I have seen enough large snakes in the very rural areas of Guyana. Thankfully, those are not seen in the Caribbean.
• Eugene, Oregon
I would not like to be anywhere near these snakes.
That is fascinating and scary too. One of these days these snakes might start invading homes.
• Eugene, Oregon
I am not sure how close any homes are to the 'glades.
I have read about these pythons in the Everglades. These "introduced" species are doing damage across the country.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, it is a really bad thing.
It is so good to hear that the "Apes" benefit from capturing the big snakes in order to save the everglades. Nice to hear that the snakes are humanely euthanized too.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, it seems to be a win/win deal for all.
@topffer (34162)
• France
I had never heard about these pythons before. It is a very interesting post, thank you.
• Eugene, Oregon
Thanks for reading too!
@1hopefulman (28614)
Wow, these snakes multiply fast! That's a useful and constructive way of working out their stress!
• Eugene, Oregon
It is a constructive way for vets to use the skills they learned in the military and so some good too.