When prayers are unanswered?

London, England
I feel very blessed by God but sometimes I have anxieties and worries about minor issues. I read the following on a website about the reasons prayers go unanswered and the mains ones I haven't been doing are fasting and lack of bible reading. The Bible tells us there are many reasons why prayer may not be answered. - Not abiding in Jesus (John 15:7) - Unbelief (Matthew 17:20-21) - Failure to Fast (Matthew 17:21) - A Bad Marriage Relationship (1 Peter 3:7) - Unconfessed Sin (James 5:16) - Lying and Deceitfulness (Psalm 17:1) - Lack of Bible Reading and Bible Teaching (Proverbs 28:9) - Trusting in the Length or Form of Prayer (Matthew 6:7)
I think actually many times they are answered...but the answer is 'No' and people don't want to accept it
• London, England
Yes that is true.
God does answer in his own time and not in ours.
• London, England
Yes God answers in his own time.
@Angela150 I can't think of a single prayer that wasn't answered! That said, I don't always like the answer. I've been told NO, Wait, It is not good for you and so many others. I just have to believe that HE is taking care of it!
• London, England
Yes that is true. All prayers are answered eventually.
Roman Catholics do not read the Bible, only the Evangels (Gospels), so I suppose all this cannot apply to us.
@YrNemo (14719)
@YrNemo It is the truth,
@YrNemo (14719)
@LadyDuck Thanks for saying that . I have always been amazed at the fact that other Christians from different Churches could recite the Bible so perfectly re: verse number, book etc. The theologians who taught us theologies, they have PhD but even them, they never did so.
Those are all very good reasons, backed up by God's Word. Let me give you a few more to consider from a book I have The Battle Plan for Prayer - In a chapter called What Are God's Answers to Prayer the author gives five answers God gives us. 1- Yes, immediately - It lines up with what God wants for you when you pray that specific prayer. 2- Yes, in due time - The timing for your prayer might not be quite right for God's yes, answer, but he will give you the desire of your heart when you are ready. 3- Yes, so you'll learn from it - Sometimes what we ask for isn't good for us, but we need to learn a lesson from getting what we ask for, so God gives us our request to show us his will. 4- No, because your heart's not right. Consider asking for a million dollars. What would you do with it? If your heart isn't right about what you ask for, you won't get it. 5- No, I've got a better plan. Sometimes it just seems that what we want has just got to be okay with God too, however, it's not. God knows the end from the beginning, so when what you think is best for you, doesn't work out, wait on God to give you the best solution for your situation. I love this book. For years I've been wanting to learn how to pray properly, with meaning and depth, and this book teaches you to do just that. If you've ever seen the movie War Room, this book is from the movie and gives you great guidelines to intensify your prayer life. I fully recommend it.
• London, England
Thanks. That gives me better understanding.
@Angela150 You're welcome.
I just trust God to be fair all the time.
• London, England
Yes I trust God to be fair too.
@Madshadi (8921)
• Brussels, Belgium
People should never give up praying
• London, England
Yes i am not giving up praying. I am very thankful for everything God has given me.
@YrNemo (14719)
Each bible version would likely be interpreted by a different source (= each church tends to use a different 'type' of the bible). Just a word changed here there, could slightly change the meaning of the verse. Re: when prayers are not answered, think of it this way (sorry, I can't quote the exact verses to you), think of a child asking the parent for a sharp knife. The parent refuses but gives the child something safer. The child cries and screams, 'but I like that shiny kitchen knife more'... I used that to explain to my kids (when they were little) of why I couldn't give them certain items. They were surprised but understood very well. NB. I did theology in the past. (Just in case you think I am too intelligent and managed to think of this all by myself .)
• London, England
Aww thats really good that you did theology!
@1hopefulman (32661)
I find Isaiah 1:15-16 interesting.
• London, England
Yes that's a good verse: 15 When you spread out your hands in prayer, I hide my eyes from you; even when you offer many prayers, I am not listening.