That's a bit Harsh isnt it ... ? ! !

@sueznewz2 (9633)
Alicante, Spain
That's  a bit harsh !! Above is the before and after shot of the beautiful poinsettia tree, in the communal garden area of our flats... and as you can see ..., it has been pruned... and cut back..., and rather harshly I think. I know it needs doing... but I was surprised  by how much they have cut it back... but... I know it will  grow back..  I remember  when I first came to spain and saw how severely they prune everything... I was shocked and horrified and thought they had most assuredly killed them... but.. to my surprise and relief...they all grew back... so we could enjoy their beauty once again... what do you think..?  would you have pruned it that much..?
• Riga, Latvia
I might look excessive right now but here in the suburbs of Latvia where I live, I saw a tree cut back just the same a couple of years ago. I thought well that is the end of that tree but then came spring and it was sprouting and growing all over the place. In fact since then it always makes me smile when I see it in spring and through the summer because it looks like a tree having a bad hair day but it keeps right on growing and I think last summer it even looked fuller. I hope that happens to that tree too.
@sueznewz2 (9633)
• Alicante, Spain
thanks... yes I think it will... lol
I didn't know poinsettia's grew to be trees. The tree is lovely, the prune job isn't, but if it produces what's on the left, it's worth it.
@sueznewz2 (9633)
• Alicante, Spain
No... I didn't know they grew into trees either... Val @just4him I had only ever seen the pot plants around Christmas time...
@sueznewz2 (9633)
• Alicante, Spain
@just4him good... see how long you can keep it... and perhaps plant it outside when its warmer...
@sueznewz2 That I can't do - plant it outside, that's not allowed here, but I will try and see how long I can keep it alive. So far it's the winner for longest lasting plant in my life.
My husband did it to one of our bushes. I was trimming it nicely, he took over, and I was left with what the picture on the right shows. I hope in the spring it does not look as pitiful as it does now.
We have a leafy bush on the left side of our driveway that has white flowers it shows off in spring, and once the flowers are gone, it is a green-leafed bush...
oh, i remember this. i hope it does grow back - and better - so you can make a before and after post.
@hereandthere I will do an after post. I sure hope the leaves cover that poor thing.
@sueznewz2 (9633)
• Alicante, Spain
@Corbin5 good idea...I'll do the same if and when this comes back to life..
I was thinking that it was indeed a severe pruning. I know some plants have no trouble recovering but others might be inclined to give up and die.
@sueznewz2 (9633)
• Alicante, Spain
yes ... I thought the same judy.. @JudyEv but I think it will come back...
@sueznewz2 Mum had a melia tree (Cape Lilac) and that would get butchered every year. It always came back too.
@sueznewz2 (9633)
• Alicante, Spain
@JudyEv that's good...very encouraging ...
It grews back really fast so they probably pruned it back that much so they do not have to do it that often.
@sueznewz2 (9633)
• Alicante, Spain
lol... perhaps so judy @jstory
@kobesbuddy (35994)
• East Tawas, Michigan
My understanding of this pruning process(which does appear to be very harsh), if they don't do this, the next season, the tree won't produce blossoms. Our raspberry bushes are exactly the same way. If we don't prune them back each fall, the following summer we have absolutely no raspberries at all:(
@sueznewz2 (9633)
• Alicante, Spain
well that's good news... @kobesbuddy I've seen my Dad pruning various things in his garden but not quite as harshly as this... but.. many people have said the same as you so I'm pleased and hopeful of it coming back...
@Starla_9 (261)
Well... I think it looks awful, it’s a right eyesaw. Personally I don’t think there was any need to have pruned it that much.
@sueznewz2 @Starla_9 @LovingMyBabies @ricki_911 Ask a gardener. This is the way to do it. It will grow back without the slightest problem.
@sueznewz2 (9633)
• Alicante, Spain
I thought the same... @Starla_9 but most people think it is quite usual to be pruned that much...
@sueznewz2 (9633)
• Alicante, Spain
thank you gor your reassurance @MALUSE I'm glad it will recover and grow and bloom again...
I know it is surprising, but they grow back. I did the same to my hydrangea.
@sueznewz2 (9633)
• Alicante, Spain
ohhh good ... thank you @LadyDuck I'm glad you think it will survive...
@sueznewz2 They do, I was surprised the first time I saw how they pruned the trees in our area, not only surprised but upset, two years later they were bigger than before.
@sueznewz2 (9633)
• Alicante, Spain
@LadyDuck yes...that's good to know and very encouraging..
@Platespinner (16791)
Some plants absolutely thrive when they are cut back like that.
@sueznewz2 (9633)
• Alicante, Spain
yes... so it would seem @Platespinner I'm glad...
• Northampton, England
That looks correct. It allows the branch/shrub to grow back straight
@sueznewz2 (9633)
• Alicante, Spain
that's good... lots of people have said the same ... so I'm hopefull it will grow back.. thank you @thedevilinme
• Northampton, England
@sueznewz2 you can put glow lights on it for now ;-)
@sueznewz2 (9633)
• Alicante, Spain
@silvermist (18033)
It does look sort of harsh.But they know what they are doing.They must have been doing it for years.It always grows back,I suppose.
@sueznewz2 (9633)
• Alicante, Spain
that's right... I'll have to put my trust in them... lol @silversmist
@silvermist (18033)
@sueznewz2 Yes,we have to.After all they are the experts.
• Peoria, Arizona
It does always seem like a lot but it does grow back, I have to keep reminding myself every time I see my poor poor tree that was almost cut down
@sueznewz2 (9633)
• Alicante, Spain
that's good newz... @DesirousDreamer I'm looking forward to seeing it again..
• Peoria, Arizona
@sueznewz2 I am sure it will grow more beautiful and more bountiful than ever before!
I didn't even realize there were poinsettia trees . . . I only know of the plants we see during the winter holidays! Perhaps that tree can handle being pruned that much. We have citrus trees and I was told that we shouldn't prune it back too much at a time, but I guess that's for citrus.
@sueznewz2 (9633)
• Alicante, Spain
like you...I didn't know there were poinsettia trees either lol... @much2say I think pruning is different ... for different trees...
@sueznewz2 That may be so! I still have our poinsettia plant from Christmas . . . I wonder if it would actually grow as tree if I planted it in the ground!
@nela13 (3786)
• Portugal
It may look quite sad now, but It will grow and will be beautiful tree again.
@sueznewz2 (9633)
• Alicante, Spain
yes thanks... @nela13 a lot of people have said the same so I'm quite happy it will grow back
@kanchan10 (1970)
• Kolkata, India
i believe cutting trees should get penal actions. as the world we are living in needs more tree to overcome ever increasing air pollution. idon't cut but i trim them sometimes.
@sueznewz2 (9633)
• Alicante, Spain
from what I hear ... a bit of pruning is good for the tree.... @Kanchan10 so I'm hopeful it will thrive...
@hereandthere (27717)
i've never seen a real poinsettia plant so thank you for sharing the picture. i see stumps like that, here, too.
@sueznewz2 (9633)
• Alicante, Spain
I'd not seen it in tree form before either... until I got to spain... @hereandthere
That's too bad, Is trump behind this as well
@sueznewz2 (9633)
• Alicante, Spain
@aureliah (10803)
Ooh my who did that to that beautiful tree? Anyway its for his best
@sueznewz2 (9633)
• Alicante, Spain
so I believe... thankfully...
@sw8sincere (2371)
We never had the same flower in my place but it surely does look nice. I wonder too how many times in a month do they need to cut down the poor tree since I have read somewhere down the comment that it grows fast. =)
@sueznewz2 (9633)
• Alicante, Spain
yes apparently their is nothing to worry about... @sw8sincere I'm pleased...
@sol_cee (14338)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
The same tree?
@sueznewz2 (9633)
• Alicante, Spain
yeahhh it was... @sol_cee and apparently will be again as it wont do it any harm...