Have you Ever Chased a Bee with a Camera?

@bagarad (8116)
Paso Robles, California
As I was taking photographs at City Park on a photo walk yesterday, I stopped at a hedge of rosemary. At first I had planned to get a macro of a rosemary flower, but then I saw the bee. It never fails. When I see a bee foraging in the herbs, something makes me try to photograph it. The only problem is that when I finally get in focus, it moves to another flower. I am never sure whether it will fly to the next flower before or after I click. This is my twelfth shot of this bee. Do you try to photograph insects that like to move frequently? What has your experience with them been?
Vince has lots of photos of bees in flowers. Maybe Australian bees take longer to fill their containers or whatever.
@bagarad (8116)
• Paso Robles, California
Hmmm! Perhaps. Maybe it depends upon the amount of nectar or pollen in the flower.
@bagarad That would make sense.
I fail most of the time trying to get a photo of the bees, the dragonflies are easier, because they stay still longer.
@bagarad (8116)
• Paso Robles, California
Bees don't stay still very often, though they hang around dandelions longer than they do on rosemary flowers.
@bagarad They move all the time in the garden, from flower to flower, they are cute.
I think I can never have a good snapshot of a bee. It seems bees are always having a 'flapping contest.'
@bagarad (8116)
• Paso Robles, California
They certainly do flap -- just as I get them in focus.
Bees are hard to photograph but I've tried many many times and once in a while I actually get lucky.
@bagarad (8116)
• Paso Robles, California
The bigger the plant, the luckier I am. They seem to stay longer on larger plants.
I just stay in one spot with my camera aimed at a black eyed susan and when they start buzzing around I start to snap shots @bagarad I actually got a few somewhat good shots of them.
@bagarad (8116)
• Paso Robles, California
@rebelann I was sort of doing that when I shot this bee. I stopped at one point in the hedge and just kept shooting, hoping I'd score a good shot.
Not a bee but a bumblebee Chasing a bee must have been a time consuming process.
@bagarad (8116)
• Paso Robles, California
I'm not as brave when photographing bumblebees. They are more dangerous, but I have caught a few.
@bagarad You can use the zoom feature for such captures. I do that.
@bagarad (8116)
• Paso Robles, California
@allknowing I think I have done that on occasion.
@1hopefulman (21267)
I love to take pictures but have not taken pictures of insects. I guess it would be quite difficult.
@bagarad (8116)
• Paso Robles, California
It all depends. The larger insects often stay still longer. I got some good photos of a mantis on my mullein plant. The insects that crawl or walk instead of primarily flying are easier. It's the little flying insects that are always moving.
@1hopefulman (21267)
18h
@bagarad I may try taking some pictures of insects in the summer and see how it goes.
@bagarad (8116)
• Paso Robles, California
1h
@1hopefulman I wish you luck. It's not too hard to capture them.
@Icydoll (1687)
I tried to take picture of butterfly ..
@bagarad (8116)
• Paso Robles, California
Looks to me like you succeeded pretty well, though I can see it wasn't completely still when you shot it. Heck! I have that problem with leaves and flowers. As soon as I'm ready to shoot the wind blows and the shot is ruined. All I have to do to create a breeze is get my camera aimed at a plant part for a macro.
@aureliah (5610)
On the contrary I run away from the bees with my camera hahaha
@bagarad (8116)
• Paso Robles, California
I can understand that.
@aureliah (5610)
@bagarad great
I am guilty of chasing bees. I wanted a photo too!
@bagarad (8116)
• Paso Robles, California
Did you catch any?
They are hard to get photos of as like you said they move so quickly from flower to flower. Butterfly's are hard as well.
@bagarad (8116)
• Paso Robles, California
I've caught a few of the larger ones with my camera, but the smaller ones are more like the bees.
• Austin, Texas
LOL. I don't chase bees. I let them fly as far away from me as they can.
@bagarad (8116)
• Paso Robles, California
I feel that way about bumblebees, hornets, and wasps.
@cttolledo (3006)
• Batangas, Philippines
I haven't tried that but for sure it's kinda hard
@bagarad (8116)
• Paso Robles, California
It is hard, but sometimes I do catch them.
@Bluedoll (17183)
It was fun finding the bee. If you had simply said here is a picture of my rosemary might not have even noticed busy bee. :-)
@bagarad (8116)
• Paso Robles, California
I also got a picture of just the rosemary, but it's not as interesting.
What a good picture that is too. I try to take pics of some of the birds at the feeders but they seem to hear or see me at the window. Or when I go out, I scare them away even if I'm trying to be quiet.
@bagarad (8116)
• Paso Robles, California
Thank you. I have the same problem with birds.
Never chased a bee but I did chase butterflies and was never successful. Congratulations for catching that bee.
@bagarad (8116)
• Paso Robles, California
I think it was a happy accident. I just kept shooting and hoped something would still be there or just have landed where I snapped.
No, it's hard enough to get a cat to sit still sometimes.
@bagarad (8116)
• Paso Robles, California
That's true. Especially if they know I'm trying to take pictures of them. But puppies are really hard.
@Morleyhunt (17078)
The only " bugs" I deliberately photograph are butterflies, a huge moth and a couple of years ago a praying mantis. My camera is just a point and shoot....no bells and whistles.
@bagarad (8116)
• Paso Robles, California
My camera is also a point and shoot. I can't afford a better one right now. I misplaced my favorite camera that I knew how to use well, also a point and shoot, but it wasn't as complicated for me to learn as the Canon Powershot I'm using now.
@silvermist (16238)
Never have photographed bees.But then I have not tried.
@bagarad (8116)
• Paso Robles, California
Try it sometime. You might even catch one if you can get the timing right.
I got a good picture of a spider once but never a bee. I would be afraid it would stink me.
@bagarad (8116)
• Paso Robles, California
Honey bees usually aren't interested in stinging you unless you are getting close to their hive. They die when they sting you. It's the bumblebees and wasps I'm afraid of.