Thanks, neighbors

Our neighbors to the north in Canada have shared their horrible cold temperatures with most of the center of the United States. I know, they are suffering too. Today many schools in Kansas are closed due to the wind chill factors. The actual temperatures are below zero, and wind chills are in the teens and twenties BELOW zero F. Tomorrow we will resume school at ten in the morning. Of course, that is still better than in Oklahoma. In Oklahoma there are schools closed due to the flu. I do not think we got it from Canada. They have their own ailments, I am sure. I still think we should close the schools completely in the winter and have school through the summer. We would not have so many sick kids and staff. Be warm my friends and neighbors.
Ours are closed today as well, although if it is the windchill (nasty) or due to roads from the snow yesterday, I'm not sure
Brrrrrr
The announcements here specify that it is due to wind chill factors. I bet it is hard to keep the buildings warm as well. You can bet I will be layered.
@JolietJake your are colder, by a bit than we are, but I feel like once you reach a certain point, why keep track?
After such a cold winter, just think how glorious spring and summer will be.
We had nice weather right up until Christmas. I think we all just gripe a lot and we all know misery loves company. I will really enjoy spring for sure.
@Morleyhunt (20438)
Why do Americans always blame the cold air mass on Canada. . We in Canada watch the winter weather approach from Colorado.....or up the east coast.....now how can we be blamed for that?
@BarBaraPrz (20553)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Yeah! What she said.
I am just repeating what the weather people are saying about this particular system. I watch it some years come up from Texas.
@Morleyhunt (20438)
@GardenGerty I was trying to be at least a little bit funny. If the storm starts in Alaska, passes though Canada...somehow we are still responsible,
I never knew schools closed for the flu. That's never happened here. Our hospital did that during a bad flu one year they only allowed a few workers and no family visitors.
On the news they said that at one particular school over 20% of the teaching staff was out, either ill or with ill children and dependents. No way can you get enough substitutes.
@GardenGerty ahh true makes sense why they had to close!
Then you would have broken down air conditioners with them going so much to remain cool. It's a give and take with the seasons. You can't win sometimes.
In Southern California I saw a district where year round school worked. The advantages were that there was less vandalism, because the schools were never vacant, and the way it worked only 3/4 of the students were at school at one time so they did not have to build more schools or add on. They ran four tracks of students. Each track attended six weeks, was off two. All students in any one family were in the same track, so they still could get in two week vacations. It seemed a well run program. They had to deal with air conditioning all the time just about.
@GardenGerty I've heard about that program, and how well it's working.
@aureliah (17990)
• Kenya
I hope that everyone can stay safe from the harsh weather and flu.
Thanks for your well wishes. There are many viruses besides the flu that seem to get worse in the winter.
@aureliah (17990)
• Kenya
@GardenGerty then this means that everyone should be extra careful
I have heard that many are sick with flu also in our country, half of those who got the flu shot are sick.
Yes, it was not a particularly effective vaccine this time.
@GardenGerty I have read it is not effective, the scientists this year guessed wrong would the main cause would have been.
Sorry to hear of this. Thats never fun Try to stay warm!!
Staying home is quite fun, going to work is not. I would love to just cuddle under covers for some more hours.
@BarBaraPrz (20553)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
It's a lovely minus 3°C here in St Catharines. The sun was even out for a few hours.
This time of year the sun does not seem to guarantee warmth. It seems to have the same effect that salt has on the ice cream freezer.
I would go for schools closing in winter. Too much winter danger to contend with, in my opinion.
Lots of people would be unhappy. Lots of people were unhappy about the day off yesterday and the late start today. It was "inconvenient."
Our schools closed early because of the expected snowstorm later today. This winter is already too long and too cold!
The cold really makes it seem longer. When I drove bus the slushy month of February seemed the longest.
The flu seems to be worse than usual this year. Summer is the time when families usually vacation though. I think it would be hard for kids to go to school in the summer when they are used to having it off.
I was near one district in California that had year round school with two weeks off every six weeks. I thought it was well thought out. Kids, some of them, just are horribly bored in the summer. It would take a while but they would get used to it.
@GardenGerty .....Yes, they would. Kids are resilient any way.
I can imagine flus and colds spreading like wildfire in schools,
They do. Even though our custodians sanitize the furniture and door knobs, etc. daily and we try to all wash our hands, when we cannot air out the building and any one gets sick we all are exposed.
Our schools are also closed.
It does not surprise me a bit.
@spiderdust (6899)
• San Jose, California
I think closing in the winter would definitely solve some problems, but it would compound problems for the parents who have to work. Still, there needs to be a better solution. Going to school when it's that cold is hard on both students and faculty/staff.
As many have pointed out, there would be problems no matter what. Parents who have to work still have to have sitters when school is out in the summer.
If they closed the schools in the winter the schools would complain about how hot it is in the summer.
That is true human nature, we always complain. The thing is, in warmer weather at least there are not so many colds or so much flu.
@Lucky15 (33718)
maybe I should start appreciating our tropic weather :D
I could appreciate a little tropical weather right now. I do like the different seasons really.