They need to stop describing the proposed "Harvest Boxes" as being like Blue Apron

By now most people have heard the news about Trump's desire to slash the food stamp budget by hundreds of millions of dollars over the next 10 years, limit what foods can be purchased with EBT, and also offer half of the benefits in the form of pre-packaged boxes of food called "Harvest Boxes". Somewhere along the way someone described them as being like the popular meal kit service Blue Apron and every news story that has discussed them since has used that same line. Let me say this once and for all: HARVEST BOXES ARE NOTHING LIKE BLUE APRON MEAL KITS. When you subscribe to Blue Apron, you are able to select which meals you want each week. You have choice. You then receive pre-portioned amounts of fresh meats, produce, seasonings, etc. and a recipe card stating exactly how to prepare the meal. Harvest boxes are similar to what you'd get at a food pantry: a box of non-perishable goods that will last a long time--beans, pasta, cereal, peanut butter, boxed milk, canned meat/fish, and canned fruits/vegetables. There's nothing fresh about them, you don't get to pick what you get, they don't contain anything to create a complete meal, and there are definitely no recipe cards! I understand wanting to try to make them sound more appealing by comparing them to the nation's most popular meal kit service, but it just makes the Trump Administration look even more dishonest than normal.
I think the boxes will end up logistically impossible to do without changing other aspects of the program.
Oh I agree. There are many other problems with them aside from this stupid comparison. But it has been annoying me all day.
This whole situation makes me ill thinking about the people on Food stamps. I think it is a horrible idea and the people who proposed this are the billionaires who could care less about the everyday person. If Bernie Sanders (my choice for President) would have won this would never even be considered
I love Bernie!
@NJChicaa I loved him, too, he really cared about all the people of the country, not just billionaires as the current president only care, I think this country would be better off if Bernie ruled us!
How are they going to deliver the boxes to homeless people on food stamps? Set up a meeting and make the homeless guy carry it to wherever he goes to survive? Are they going to provide a stove so that the guy can cook his beans and pasta? I hate this guy.
What if someone has a food allergy or is vegetarian/vegan? What if they are on a special diet? Do families with young children get the same amount of food as families with teenage boys?
I wonder how Blue Apron feels about this . . . for Harvest Boxes to be compared to them is way off track .
I doubt they will publicly comment. I'm sure that many of their customers are Republicans and Trump supporters.