What's The Difference Between Boys And Girls ? --- Pupils I remember (4)

Germany
At German schools, the break/recess between lessons lasts five minutes. The long break (usually after the second lesson) lasts 15 minutes. The pupils *have* to leave their classrooms. The teachers lock the doors and the pupils *have* to leave the school building to get some fresh air. Do they like it? The small ones do. They romp around, play tag or hide and seek. Teens in love do, too, because they can meet their beloved and smooch in hidden corners. The majority, however, hates it, hates it, hates it! Teachers have to patrol along the corridors and shoo the pupils out. Once they're out, they enter again through a different door. And so on, and so forth. It's a never-ending story. Once I saw two girls - about 15 years old - clinging desperately to an upright radiator which was fixed to the wall. They were shivering. Admittedly, it was cold outside, but they could have put on their coats and they would have survived. It wasn't my 'throw-out-pupils' day, so I only passed them and said, "Only girls cling to radiators in winter." Giggle, giggle. After the break, I had English in the class of the girls. The lesson had just begun when one of the boys (classes are co-ed), dressed only in a T-shirt, got up, went to a window at the back of the classroom and opened it wide. All the girls let out a shriek! I looked at the two girls I had talked to during the break and said, "And the next line is 'Only boys open windows in winter' ". They laughed. The rest of the class couldn't understand why, of course. First prize for the member who knows why this occurrence isn't in any way exceptional. A biological peculiarity explains it. --- --- If you click on the green bar at the top of the page, you can find my other posts on the topic. --- Photo: Getty images
Well, females have a body core temperature that is higher than that of males. So, I do believe that females, being warmer than males the majority of the time are really in for a shock when the cold air hits them. For guys, the cold air is not that big of a shock due to them having a lower core temperature going on. .I am always hot, have been since the day I was born. My husband is always cold. We are weird.
Indeed. Unfortunately, you and your husband can't be used to explain the phenomenon. I'm still waiting for the answer to my question.
@MALUSE I will wait for the answer too!
@xFiacre (4459)
@MALUSE it’s so good to know that I’m normal.
I assume because boys are usually hotter then girls are. I know I am always freezing and my boyfriend is always so much warmer. It's like a furnace being next to him at night.
Who wears the woollen socks? Certainly not the men! Yes, but why are boys/men 'hotter'?
@MALUSE I don't recall testosterone possibly?
@xFiacre (4459)
@maluse I observe that my wife loves closed windows, plenty of blankets and takes a hot water bottle on holiday which she uses every night no matter how hot the room might be. I’m the opposite. I love cold showers, swimming in the ocean and sleeping with the window open, a treat I’m never allowed. I’ve no idea why there is such divergence.
very nice and thank you for sharing this with us.That is a clever idea on the top there.How did you do this?
@amadeo Please explain. I don't know what you're referring to.
@amadeo Thank you. I do my best. :-)
I guess that I was an unusual girl. I always enjoyed going outside. Even during a German winter
@lovebuglena (6393)
• Staten Island, New York
I think here in the US we call it recess and I think it happens only once throughout the school day, different grade levels at different times. At least in NYC that's the way it is. Why were the girls holding on to the radiator? And why was there a boy in the class of girls?
- I mentioned the term recess in the first line. - They were holding on to the radiator because they were cold. I thought I had made that clear. Now I have to think what I should add. -There was not one boy in the class, there were several. Classes in state schools are co-ed.
• Staten Island, New York
@MALUSE It seemed like it was an all girls' class that's why I asked why there was a boy there. You did mention that they were cold but I was curious why they chose to hold on to the radiator instead of putting on a jacket.
@lovebuglena They hadn't put on a jacket because they were hoping they wouldn't be sent out to the schoolyard by a teacher. But the corridor isn't very warm, either, so they were clinging to the radiator.
Exactly like Deborah, I suppose we are a weird couple, my husband is the one always cold, it was the same with my father and my mom. Mom opened all the windows in winter, dad was always freezing. My niece is always freezing, she is the exception in the family.
@LadyDuck @Corbin5 Exceptions prove the rule.
@MALUSE I am wearing a light long sleeve shirt right now, my husband wears two sweaters. The house is as hot as a sauna.
@Platespinner (16520)
I sure hope that boy was wearing more than just a t-shirt .
@thelme55 (14574)
Yes, the girls should have put on their coats. I am sure they knew that they have to go out of the room even in winter.
@bagarad (12164)
• Paso Robles, California
When I was young and skinny when we were first married, by husband always wanted the windows open at night and in the car (pre-air-conditioning) and I always wanted them shut. I was always too cold, he was always too hot. Now it's the opposite. I'm usually more hot than he is. He wants the heater on and it roasts me. I suspect activity level and weight may have something to do with the difference. Perhaps the boys had been more active than the girls.
The answer is here:
Women have a a smaller body size and lower metabolic rate, factors which mean they shed heat faster. They are also more likely to suffer Raynaud's disease, a painful reaction to the cold.
@1hopefulman (28551)
So, are you saying that girls feel the cold more than the boys?
@pgntwo (21658)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Do share this biological peculiarity that has 15-year old girls clinging to radiators and boys of the same age throwing the windows wide in the depths of winter... I cannot hold my breath for much longer!
@kobesbuddy (46687)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I think girls are more interesting in education, at a young age. Plus, I think girls start to act more mature, at a younger age than boys. As a woman, I'm colder in the winter and much warmer in the summer, than my husband. It's something that I'll never fully understand:)
I wouldn't say that girls are more interesting than boys in education but it's correct that girls mature sooner than boys.
@kobesbuddy (46687)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@MALUSE Again, it's not all girls that act more mature. I've know young boys who act almost like an adult.
@kobesbuddy When one says things like that, one always generalises. Of course, exceptions prove the rule.
@nanette64 (17612)
• Fairfield, Texas
Yup, I was gonna blame it all on the testosterone and hormones @MALUSE .
Thanks for reading all my contributions and making me stinking rich!
@nanette64 (17612)
• Fairfield, Texas
@MALUSE Oh heck yeah. I love what you write about. And 'every' penny counts.
@cintol (6419)
Woman get colder because their core temperature is higher than a mans and our metabolisms are slower then mens.
You're the only one who has mentioned the term metabolism. This is the decisive answer. Congratulations!
@cintol (6419)
@MALUSE Well thank you, I have learned a lot over the years going to doctors
@FayeHazel (18027)
I read something about women's blood pressure usually being lower - so they feel the cold moreso. (?) I don't know if that's true though.
Please scroll down. In the fourth comment from the top, I've mentioned a link which explains it all.
@FayeHazel (18027)
@MALUSE I didn't want to read the answer before commenting... but thanks! :-)
@kepweng (14954)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
boys are more Stronger
No. Strength has nothing to do with it. I've given a link where everything is explained:
WE are the exception. My husband is always cold while I am always hot.
The comments show that you're not the only ones. :-)
@garymarsh6 (14075)
Quite simply women are hot and feel the cold more! OK OK I will go and sit in the naughty corner!
@YrNemo (12664)
This is opposite to my children! The boy always acts like he needs the heater. The girl always seems to need the aircon!