Grandsons First Big Car Accident

@ramapo17 (25285)
Melbourne, Florida
My 17 year old grandson just called and told us he had his first car accident today. We sent him my husbands car from Florida to New Jersey in September. My husband never had an accident in that car but of course being 17 and this being the first car, he was, and still is, very upset. I always said that the first car is usually the "crash car". I know that from personal experience. I only had my first car a week and was in a huge accident when I was 17. There were at least 10 cars in my accident on a major highway in New Jersey. He was on his way home from school and a lady hit him and while they were out talking another man hit him from the other side. His car is now totaled and he feels so bad as that was his grandfathers car. He doesn't realize that we went through the same thing when we were growing up. At this time I do not know what happened as they had a big snow storm the last few days. New Jersey is expecting another one tomorrow or the next day. Some homes near them are still without power since the storm hit them on Saturday.
I'm glad he wasn't hurt in the accident. I'm also glad he wasn't to blame.
@ramapo17 (25285)
• Melbourne, Florida
Me to. When I first heard about it I thought it was his fault
The only important thing is that your grandson was not hurt.
@ramapo17 (25285)
• Melbourne, Florida
Exactly. I am also so glad it wasn't his fault as in New Jersey the insurance for young boys is very expensive.
@ramapo17 I hope he will get a new car with the insurance money.
@ramapo17 (25285)
• Melbourne, Florida
@marguicha I New Jersey is one of the countries highest car insurance states.
@1hopefulman (31692)
Unfortunately accidents happen to even the best drivers. Sometimes, one is not even moving the car and someone hits it. It's part of life.
@ramapo17 (25285)
• Melbourne, Florida
That is true @1hopefulman.
@UncleJoe (10640)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Your grandson will feel a lot better when he get's a settlement that will allow him to purchase a car of his choice.
@ramapo17 (25285)
• Melbourne, Florida
Thank you. I hope so.
I can only imagine how upset he would be. I hope the car was insured. Also hope they'll be safe during this next storm.
@ramapo17 (25285)
• Melbourne, Florida
The car is insured and he couldn't even move it. The lady came across the highway right into his door. The one front wheel was bent under.
@1creekgirl (11497)
Glad he's okay, it sure could have been worse.
@ramapo17 (25285)
• Melbourne, Florida
Thank you. You are right, to total a car it could have been worse but thank goodness it wasn't.
Gotta count your blessings and that your grandson wasn't hurt. My kids went through the same thing when they were new drivers. A first car should always be one to take bumps and scrapes.
@ramapo17 (25285)
• Melbourne, Florida
That is exactly what I always said.
@moffittjc (44667)
• Gainesville, Florida
I totaled my first car when I was 16. Only had it about a month before I was involved in a head-on collision. I was also in an accident about 2 weeks ago, and I seem to have messed up my back pretty bad. The doctor is going to see if physical therapy will help heal me before deciding if I need surgery or not.
@ramapo17 (25285)
• Melbourne, Florida
Where was your recent accident. Is that why I haven't seen you lately? I hope you don't need surgery.
@moffittjc (44667)
• Gainesville, Florida
@ramapo17 I've been on here every day, but only for a few minutes at a time. It's been hard to move, and especially harder to sit, due to my back injury. However, I found out today that I won't need surgery, but I will have to go to physical therapy three days a week. Had my first appointment today and it already did wonders for me.
@ramapo17 (25285)
• Melbourne, Florida
@moffittjc I am glad to hear that. I hope everyday you feel better.
Snow can cause a lot of accidents. I can't imagine driving in a wet and slippery road. I hate deriving when it's raining. Good to know your grandson wasn't harmed in the accident but I know how he feels about his first car. I never had any serious or big accidents with any of my cars. Actually I drove too young in our small town in the past. I was only 10 when I learned how to drive. And I was trusted to drive around town when I was 11 years old, but there was always an adult supervision. Wasn't allowed to drive alone.
@ramapo17 (25285)
• Melbourne, Florida
The driving age in New Jersey is 17 for the youngest. New Jersey is a very high populated state and it is very hard driving in some areas as there is so much traffic.
@ramapo17 The driving age here is 18. However, we used to live in a small town where everybody know each other and back in the late 80s and early 90s there were few cars. But not these days anymore that's why I never allowed my son to drive since he's only 13. But back then there were few cars and we practically own the whole town so even the police didn't really care when they see me drive.
@ramapo17 (25285)
• Melbourne, Florida
@toniganzon Lucky you.
@cintol (7659)
So sorry to hear of his accident but thank goodness he is ok. I know its a car but they too can grow sentimental value, my husband totaled 2 of his cars within 3 yrs and I thought he was gonna cry. We fixed the first one and sold it to his son as a first car and so far so good.
@ramapo17 (25285)
• Melbourne, Florida
I am glad to hear he is doing okay with the car. Winters in New Jersey are not the easiest for experienced drivers and worse for new drivers.
@cintol (7659)
@ramapo17 Oh I understand, we lived in Colorado and it is the same there. I am surprised he hasn't had any accidents as he never drove on snow and ice before.
@ramapo17 (25285)
• Melbourne, Florida
@cintol He only got his license last October. He is only 17. At least no one was seriously hurt considering his car is totaled.
@aureliah (17990)
• Kenya
Glad to hear that despite the accident your grandson is okay.
@ramapo17 (25285)
• Melbourne, Florida
Thank you. I was happy to hear he was okay. He was more angry than anything.
@aureliah (17990)
• Kenya
@ramapo17 I know but I hope that all that is in the past now
@ramapo17 (25285)
• Melbourne, Florida
@aureliah It is not in the past as he doesn't have a car and he cannot get to work or school. After so many hours in high school he goes to a culinary school and there is not buses going there.
I'm sure you guys are just grateful that HE is okay. Even if the car is totaled. But, some just feel guilty / bad no matter what we tell them. Glad he is okay and hope they are good through the storm tomorrow.
@ramapo17 (25285)
• Melbourne, Florida
Oh yes, we are very grateful. I just found out the one man that was hit was standing between the two cars and ended up in the hospital. I don't know his condition at this time.
@ramapo17 oh man!!
@Shiva49 (13812)
I hope the weather is better now. I recall one incident where someone hit from behind my car during a very heavy thunderstorm. I could not even stop the car as traffic was heavy. The best of care cannot prevent such happening - siva
@ramapo17 (25285)
• Melbourne, Florida
You are right. A person can be the best driver but the person behind you might not be. His car is totaled so now he has nothing and he still needs one for work and school. Of course insurance companies take their time getting to some of the cases.
@iridion9 (9232)
I don't like cars. I don't want that to happen to me. I don't want to run over someone by me. geez I don't want to go to jail. By just driving a car. I will let someone drive for me.
@ramapo17 (25285)
• Melbourne, Florida
In New Jersey one needs a car to get around. Nothing is close by. Besides that there are lots of hills in the area along with some wild animals.
@dgobucks226 (13308)
I've had a few fender benders breaking in those first few cars. It is a very upsetting experience. You have to drive so defensively today, people just have no awareness of safe driving. As long as he is not seriously injured that is most important. A car can be replaced.