Day Three: Cozumel

Our third morning we woke up in Cozumel. Most of the people on the ship were rushing to get off so that they could take an excursion or to go shopping in Cozumel. We did neither. We have been to Cozumel before and I am not a beach person nor do I like to dicker, I just want to know the bottom line and that is what I pay. We stayed on the ship. After breakfast we went exploring. We went to the upper deck and walked around, took some pictures and enjoyed the bright sunshine. After that, we went and sat by the pool and read. The casino is closed when the ship is in port. We grabbed some lunch and then took a nap and cooled off in our room. I watch Victoria and Abdul on the TV. In the afternoon we took our books to the library and sat in the recliners by the windows and just enjoyed the view. We had a light afternoon tea and did some more walking. We enjoyed dinner from 5:30-7:30 and then at 8 we headed to the Thermal Suite, it was a tough day but we are getting used to it lol Photo is Cozumel from the recliner in the library
I like your 'tough' day. Sounds relaxing. Nice picture.
lol Yes it is nice to not "have" to do anything, I was surprised how easy it was for me to give up technology.
@BelleStarr That would be hard for me to do. Though I have done it when I went on holiday a couple years ago for three days. I didn't have a phone to play on, so without any kind of technology for three days, it was almost withdrawal. Almost. Where we went, my friend and I, we had a lot to do, so I only really missed it at night.
@just4him I could still play games on my phone but that was it, no laptop, no iPad and no cell phone service. and I survived in spite of the fact that hubs was sure I wouldn't!!
Another lovely say you had. So jealous. But would never do a cruise.
I love cruising, it is one vacation I can relax on. We just enjoyed having the ship to ourselves.
@BelleStarr im glad tou enjoy it
sonds wonderful our oujgn da lo lol lol
Yes we just went from relaxing to eating and then eating to relaxing, a really tough week lol
@BelleStarr souids like such fun ik giid fior you
Beautiful view from the recliner.
Thank you yes it was just one of many interesting views.
How was Victoria & Abdul? Was it worth watching? Also, what is a Thermal Suite?
@moffittjc (45290)
• Gainesville, Florida
I've been to Cozumel before too, and like you, I would have probably stayed on the ship. I've explored Cozumel plenty of times in the past, so I would just relax and enjoy the time on the ship without thousands of other passengers all around!
The good news about The Rotterdam is that there are only 1400 passengers which is less than 1/3 of the big ships.
@moffittjc (45290)
• Gainesville, Florida
@BelleStarr But the crowning is probably still similar on the small and big ships. On a per-square-foot basis, it probably still equals the same amount of people on board. Out of those 1400 passengers, how many disembarked to go into Cozumel?
@moffittjc I suspect about 1200. So almost no one left on the ship.
That sounds so relaxing, I'm surprised you didn't fall asleep for a short nap .... that's what I wooda done.
I was trying to read my book and I had already taken a nap in our room after lunch but of course, it was tempting. lol
Carol and Hank go on these cruises a lot and they've told me about the black tie dances they hold, did your cruise do that too @BelleStarr
@rebelann Not a dance but there were two gala nights where you can dress up in black tie and gowns if you want. We dressed normally and most people did as well. I don't have any formal clothes here in Florida and I refused to buy any new ones.
@Blondie2222 (22580)
I have a friend that just came back from Cozumel and she had alot of fun. I've never been out of the states but sounds like your having a nice cruise. It's nice to just sit back and relax.
I love cruising it is the most relaxing way to vacation in my humble opinion.
@Blondie2222 (22580)
@BelleStarr Yes it is. I am not a good swimmer so I don't do cruises.
I'm glad you are really putting your heart and soul into coping with all the stress.
lol It has been tough but someone has to lay on those lounges and recliners lol
@BelleStarr It's good of you to make the effort.
@PainsOnSlate (20535)
I was with my sister in laws, there were 5 or six of us and I think it was Cozumel - probably 10 years ago or more, we stopped at Cozumel and we knew there had been a hurricane recently so we wanted to see what a hurricane looks like, it was a mess but ready for any cruise to visit. A young man - with perfect English offered to drive us in his jeep - (no top) around the area on the island for a very small price - maybe $5 per woman. He stopped every once in a while to tell us the history and show us some interesting buildings. We stopped for a bite to eat and we paid for his meal, He took us to an ancient church and told the history, it was an awesome trip around the island, lots of damage on huts and homes, beautiful beaches... he dropped us off at our cruise and we all had such a good time, we gave him more money - he didn't ask for it... That's the only time I've been there..
That is basically what we did this time in Roatan except it wasn't a jeep. Good way to see something other than the tourist areas.
@BelleStarr I am not impressed with commercial set ups waiting for us to spend money, Loved the trip with a stranger...
That looks like a wonderfully relaxing view and not going out to fight the crowds trying to get a bargain or suntan sounds like a nice alternative.
I know that most people probably don't understand why I wouldn't want to walk around in Cozumel but given how my knees are, I saved them for the next day.
@BelleStarr I'm going to be looking for the discussion for what you did the next day, what you saved your knees for.....
Sometimes it's better not to get off the ship and enjoy the place without people around. I know they are not allowed to keep the casino open when the ship is in port, it must be in "International Waters".
What I was disappointed with was there were almost no activities, I think they need to offer at least a few things for those who choose not to leave the ship.
@BelleStarr I agree, there is very little to do when the ship is in the port.
@Gillygirl (17367)
• Sutton, England
It looks so idyllic and relaxing but lol it doesn't sound tough to me.
No???? lol I guess I may be exaggerating just a bit lol
We often don't get off if we've been to a place before and even if we do we don't book tours. We like to do out own thing.
I agree it is much more fun to avoid the crowds on the excursions.
We have stayed aboard ship, too, since we've been in Cozumel 4 times. I love having the pool and deck to myself. lol
Yes I consider it one of the perks lol
It must have been nice having the ship mostly to yourselves - no long lines for anything.
There is never really long lines for anything except debarkation at the end of the cruise. But yes, it is nice to have a choice of tables near the pool.
@YrNemo (14717)
I was that ignorant, I never heard of any city with that name before until reading your post. Now I am going to wiki it, to see where it is.
It is sort of a party destination in Mexico, we went snorkeling the first time we went there and also shopping and since I am not a beach person, there is nothing there that appeals to me.
I hope you keep enjoying your trip. Sounds like a lot of fun.
Every day was interesting in its own way.
@houda28 (380)
• Tunisia
I never been to Cozumel before but it's on my list. Hope you enjoy your trip.