missing keys yesterday, missing keys today

https://pixabay.com/en/tools-padlocks-unlock-lock-access-2836961/
i couldn't find the keys to unlock the back gates yesterday. turns out someone left it in their pocket. but i had to search their room and the bathroom to find the shorts they had it in. today we couldn't open the sliding gate to the sliding glass doors. but this was just a small padlock so i wondered if i could use a paper clip. i couldn't find one, but saw an old rusting pair of metal folding scissors with pointed blades. inserting and twisting the left blade didn't work, and i briefly wondered if we have a bolt cutter. good thing the right blade unlocked it! as i opened the gate, screen, then glass, i saw the key in the space between the gate and screen. i'm glad the keychain is much, much bigger than the key, so i noticed it immediately. now i know where else to check if the key is missing again. what do you do when you can't find the keys? have you ever found a missing item in an unlikely place?
Glad you found the key. When I lose my keys I search all over for them and eventually find them.
I always find that my keys show up the minute I give up and start watching TV, as if they know the game is over
@rebelann it's like those sneaky keys want to have fun with you first
Yes, I am sure they are laughing at me @hereandthere
I have never lost or not found my keys. I think I would use a paper clip or a hair clip.
Oh wow, it is rare to meet someone who has never misplaced their keys.
@rebelann yeah, ladyduck is superorganized and has a good memory. i know people here have lost phones a lot. i only lost a phone once.
Sometimes I misplace my phone too but it's easier to find @hereandthere
It depends on the keys. But if I lost one, I would have lost all of them as they are all on one keychain. And that is what I have done several times . . . the last time was when it was in my jacket pocket (the one that I was wearing) and I thought I lost them .
Ok, that's funny. I shouldn't laugh, I've been known to look for my glasses and all the while I'm wearing them.
@rebelann Isn't it funny how we lose things that end up not really being lost at all? I will say I do lose my mind every now and then - maybe more times than I care to admit !
Well, yes @much2say but I don't lose my mind, it just wanders up ahead and I have to rush to catch it
@MarymargII (10396)
• Toronto, Ontario
So happy you found it before you had to get a replacement! I love finding things- it's such a perk! haha!
Ohhhh yes, it really is a perk when I finally find the car keys but usually by that time I'm getting ready for bed
@rebelann mother and i had to go to the bank and we couldn't find one of her IDs and were blaming each other. when we got to the bank, it was right there inside the envelope when i opened it to get her other ID.
@sunrisefan (19136)
@hereandthere To make a back-up, take a shot of your IDs using you phone so you need only to open your phone's gallery when you needed identification.
@epiffanie (10408)
We always make sure that our keys are placed in the same place so we hardly have that problem of missing keys ..
I need to learn to do that. The last time I chose a place where I thought I should keep the keys I ended up forgetting where that was and boy what a search I went through trying to remember.
Yes that is what happens @hereandthere
@epiffanie (10408)
@rebelann We made a key holders and it's hanging just there in the kitchen near the fridge .. all the keys go there with labels , so we never had that problem ..
@db20747 (9071)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
I'm always loosing my key Even the spare keys get lost!! When I go look for them they're gone!!!
Uh oh, I forgot all about my spare keys .... dang, I was feeling so smug cuz I see my regular keys right in front of me for once
@rebelann i had a male officemate who put his spare car keys in his wallet. i don't know if that's safe or not.
As long as he didn't lose his wallet they would be safe @hereandthere Most of the time when I am out and about I do not misplace my keys, only when I get home.
• Cuddalore, India
I lost my cupboard key in hostel .Then I broke the lock to open it. We usually loose our hostel room key and got scolding from warden frequently .
did you have to pay for the lost key and broken lock?
• Cuddalore, India
@hereandthere no not at all
@Lignitecityabishek96 then the warden just fixes or replaces it
I found a missing key in the place where it should have been - on its hanger but this was AFTER I'd checked there several times. I asked St Anthony for help and he must have taken pity on me and put the key back on its hook.
i learned about asking st. anthony from a co-worker
@hereandthere Have you ever called on him?
@JudyEv after she told me about it, yes. but i also like that i was able to calmly think about how to handle this situation. but with the big padlocks for the back gates, i doubt the paper clip or scissors would work!
@ridingbet (57758)
the car keys are usually kept upon entering our house, at the left top of the DVD stand. if it is not there, it is on the dining table.
It is a good thing you know where they are, I wish I'd put my keys in the same place all the time but where's the fun in that?
@rebelann you're creating a treasure hunt for yourself.
yes @hereandthere a treasure hunt .... but how aggravating if I actually have to be somewhere.
@Thewings (636)
I have 2 pairs of keys.
Can you always find them whenever you are looking for them?
@rebelann we have a lot of old keys that don't have labels on them
Right now I have a lot of old keys from mom's belongings @hereandthere she never labeled her keys so I have no idea what they go with.
Break the lock.
Naw, that's no fun.
@rebelann sometimes you have no choice but to replace the door knob
Well, either that or have a locksmith make new keys @hereandthere
I get frantic at once when I cannot find the key to our cabinet. I get angry because I know my hubby used it and forgot to return it to where it should be placed - always.
I do not have someone else to blame when my keys are misplaced, it is always my own fault.
@mohit459 (12017)
• Haldwani, India
Ya, many times
I have the same problem with the remote.
@Madshadi (8922)
• Brussels, Belgium
I have broken so many of those in my lifetime. Eventually I learned to keep the key in one place and the spare in another
But do you always remember where it was that you decided to keep the keys? I never do so I become my own worst enemy
@Icydoll (23536)
I never lost keys...
Oh wow, you are the first person I have ever heard of that does not lose keys.
@sol_cee (16889)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
In my own experience, I don't always get to find what I look for -keys or keys. It's always the case for me. So there. lol
i never lost a key i put it always at the table
good for you. how about phones or wallets, have you lost any?
@hereandthere i lost a phone i think 3x before im not sure if it fell on the jeep somewhere
@Strawberry18 i only lost a phone once and yes, it was also in the jeepney. i used an ecobag instead of my shoulder bag and it probably slipped out while on my lap because it has no zipper.
• Northampton, England
hair pin.
Now there's an item I rarely see anymore, do they still make em?
@rebelann students and working ladies use it a lot here , the black ones, to keep their hair in place, especially if their school or work requires it.
I have not noticed many women using them anymore @hereandthere most of the women I know keep their hair short and if they want to tie it back they use a rubberband.
@Jessabuma (33168)
• Baguio, Philippines
Yes, I always loose my keys.. especially every Wednesday, when Kazama Grameen members (a lending company) go to their office in 3rd floor of our building, they always take my keys without my permission..
then maybe you need to start keeping it in a different spot that is secure so they are forced to wait and ask you for it.
@Jessabuma (33168)
• Baguio, Philippines
@hereandthere yes, that's a good idea
@Jessabuma you really should since you're supposed to be the caretaker, you're in charge of security and safety. you should be aware of everyone who comes and goes. you're the point person there that your aunt trusts the most. tell your aunt about this plan/this change, then tell her that if those people react the next time they're there, you will tell them it was your aunt's orders for tighter security and safety.
@sunrisefan (19136)
Better buy that keyholder with GPS so you can easily locate your keys. There's another one that you only need to whistle and it responds with an alarm sound.
i don't have a lot, but i know i will be handling mother's keys eventually
@sunrisefan (19136)
@hereandthere Another option would be to have one master key which would be able to open all other door knobs at home. I was told by the keymaker that they only need to add one slot for the other knobs that would make it be opened by the master key aside from the specific key to that particular knob.
@sunrisefan interesting. i'll ask about that. but that would mean all doorknobs and drawers have to be the same model/style/specs (whatever it's called)?