This bugs me

@sallypup (29427)
Moses Lake, Washington
As I go through the house, searching for things to dump, I think about what ownership is. I went to the local animal shelter and bought or adopted Beau Teak Siamese boy. If I decide to go to a human adoption center, am I buying or adopting a human child? I tell my fur buddies that I am their guardian. I will care for them as best I know how. Then when something happens and I feel those fur kids need a doctor, then I am back in the owner seat. That makes me uncomfortable. Beau Teak was left behind for four days then was found and brought to the animal shelter. The day he walked into this house I told him that he would never be left behind again. He is safe though at times he has to visit the Doc due to his inability to quit fighting with others and he comes home with a wound or two that needs help. So I go through my house looking for items that I can live without and think about this thing called ownership.
I could get rid of most of the things in this house and not miss them. I agree with pets being part of the family. I really can not imagine a circumstance where I would give up my pet. It just isn't going to happen.
@sallypup (29427)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@snowy22315 I get too attached to things. I'll always wonder what happened to Beau Teak; why he was left behind. He's a well socialized Siamese so what happened?
@sallypup Some people just don't have the degree of attachment to pets that others have..I think. I think even allergies can be managed.
@sallypup (29427)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@snowy22315 Some body sure raised Beau right. I have allergies to dogs and live with two.
Scar is the owner, I am just the slave
@sallypup (29427)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@JolietJake Exactly. Beau Teak snuggled up to me this morning. Why? Cause he wanted me to let him outside.
I agree with @snowy22315 . Never could get rid of our cat, he is apart of our family now.
@sallypup (29427)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Courtlynn You're a person with a heart.
@sallypup as are you!
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
I don't consider having a pet being a owner. I consider them a part of the family.
@sallypup (29427)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@thislittlepennyearns I totally am with you on that feeling then comes time to go to the Vet or the kennel and its my legal responsibility to deal with such things as the "owner."
It is odd to say that we "own," a pet. I suppose we "own" a child too. I will just say, "I have a pet I love."
@sallypup (29427)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Corbin5 Nobody talks about the poet May Sarton any more. She called her cats her "fur persons." I tend to go that route, too. The fur persons here are not my pets; they just live here like anybody else.
@sallypup Well, Molly went with us to vote today in the IL primary. She claims she is an "Independent." and she did not reveal for whom she voted today. She is now wearing her "I Voted" sticker.
@sallypup (29427)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Corbin5 Good for you, patriotic Molly.
When it comes to ownership I apply that strictly to material things not furbabies. However that would be hard to explain to a vet or a lot of people who aren't into furpeople.
@sallypup (29427)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@rebelann It would be hard to be a Vet. You are there to help animals and yet humans do not step in and pay for your help, there will be no way for you to do that. Or to pay for those expensive meds and equipment.
Yeah, that is so true @sallypup
@sallypup (29427)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@rebelann This goes for humans, too. I just heard about a doc who had the grand idea to operate a large pediatric clinic. Jobs in that area of my state went South. All his patients ended up on state pay so he says that is too low of money for him to keep his clinic open, considering he has to pay for helpers etc. etc. Now those kids who need a doc have to travel a good half an hour some where else, if their parents have the gas money.
Ownership is interesting subject. We've just always had cats. They adopt us or we adopt them from bad situations. Can't recall a time when we went to the shelter to get one. I think that you have the right idea.
@sallypup (29427)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@celticeagle I bet my neighbors with all their unaltered cats consider those cats to be strays. I suppose I could have adopted one of those animals. I worry about what problems they might have, though.
@sallypup ......They shouldn't have access to your other cats either.
Ownership can definitely get out of hand sometimes. Just ask my mom. Give my sincere regards to Beau Teak and I wish him well.
@sallypup (29427)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@LindaCPearson Beau says "Meow-thanks!" back.
Interesting point. I hadn't thought about it much before - ownership, guardianship, whatever.
@sallypup (29427)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@JudyEv Over here if I take one of the neighbor's animals to the Shelter, that owner has the right to come take the animal back cause he is the owner though the animal may suffer for the return.
• Rochester, New York
I have always seen having pets as a mutual ownership. They care for me and I care for them. Only they can't go to the doctors with me. lol
@sallypup (29427)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@LisaSteinmetz I like that: mutual ownership. That's a good way to think about it.