New cupboards for the caravan

Bunbury, Australia
In about six weeks we’ll be hooking up the caravan and heading east from our home in Western Australia to visit our son in Melbourne, Victoria. From there we’re going on to spend three weeks in Tasmania. While we were overseas last year we stored the caravan under a lean-to next to our big shed. Unfortunately the caravan was too high to fit completely under and the back part was exposed to the rain over winter. When we got home we discovered water had seeped behind some cupboards in the bathroom and rotted the material there. So we’ve decided to replace those cupboards and we’re going in to town to get the materials we need. We want a waterproof sheeting to put on the back wall and hopefully we’ll also find some timber to match the remaining cupboards. I’m adding a ‘before’ photo. We've removed the old cupboards and you can see the discoloured back wall. Hopefully within a week or two there will be a much better looking ‘after’ photo. I love working with wood. In particular, I love the smell of sawn timber.
@xFiacre (5696)
@judyev smell of sawn timber is much preferable to damp, rotted timber. I mistook a furniture shop in India for a café once and when I sat down at a table and no-one came to serve me it was the smell of sawn timber that alerted me to the fact that the tables and chairs were being made out the back.
@yugocean (8848)
Hahahaha There you may get free coffee if you make a purchase, some refreshments are always offered to customers in large showrooms.
This was a bit pongy. Vince has fixed the leak on the outside so the water shouldn't get in any more. I wonder if the furniture maker was keeping an eye on you from the back of the shop.
@yugocean It's nice to be offered coffee at these places.
I like working with wood too.
@Plethos (11546)
im tempted to say " thats what she said" but i wont. sorry, im just being sophmoric.
We have done a lot of stuff with wood over the years.
@Plethos Haha. I had to look up 'sophmoric' and yes you are!
I bet you'll make it look great!
Thanks. I hope it will look okay.
@JudyEv cant wait to see
I hope your cabinet project is all you have hoped for!
Thanks. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.
Glad to hear you guys got some new cupboards.
We haven't got them yet. We're going to make them but I know what you mean. Thanks.
• Peoria, Arizona
That is going to be a fun project. We need to do the same but for our actual house haha
We have put up lots of shelves and bits and pieces in our house. It makes such a difference to have a bit of storage space here and there.
• Peoria, Arizona
@JudyEv our main problem is, my dad never cocked our ceiling and we didn't know that so we have a lot of leaks and nothing to fix it with.
@DesirousDreamer Oh, that's a shame. Leaks cause a lot more problems what with staining and allowing mould to grow.
@yugocean (8848)
You need waterproof wall, we had same problem, so we got the wall repaired to keep it safe; with extra waterproof sheeting and covers.
Vince has fixed a leak on the outside but we'll put in a waterproof sheet as well.
@yugocean (8848)
@JudyEv Modern homes are not that good waterproof; ancient houses were all disaster proofs, that is why old ruins are still available.
@yugocean Certainly some of the old buildings seem to live forever don't they?
I love the smell of sawdust also, but it doesn't like me-I'm allergic to it. I hope that you're able to match everything up nicely.
What a shame you're allergic to sawdust. The new cupboards won't be up against the ones already there so a near match will probably work.
@JudyEv I know, and my husband loves working with wood, making cabinetry and nice furniture. He's always had a workshop, up until about a year ago, that I couldn't go into because of the dust.
@nela13 (9354)
• Portugal
I am sure It will be perfect when you finish It
Well, we're hoping so but we'll have to wait and see.
@nela13 (9354)
• Portugal
@JudyEv we will wait for the results
When water comes inside it always makes a mess. I am curious to see your "after" photo. Good luck with your job.
There is some mould and of course where there is mould there is always a certain amount of smell which I really don't like.
@JudyEv I know the problem. Monte-Carlo was very humid, mould formed inside the kitchen drawers.
@YrNemo (14768)
Would love to be a relative of yours (or at least a good friend) so that I could import you to our place. I need someone like you to help me doing a few tasks here and there...
What a shame we're not closer. We love any sort of maintenance work and we're pretty good at small cabinetry jobs too.
@YrNemo (14768)
@Madshadi (8991)
• Brussels, Belgium
That sounds like a lot of fun work. And would probably save some money doing it yourselves
We have saved heaps over the years doing these sorts of things ourselves.
You have to get everything shipshape for your upcoming adventure.
We do. Mostly everything is fine but it would be nice to have new cabinets and get rid of the mouldy sections.
@Plethos (11546)
have fun with your project.
Thanks. We mostly do.
I can't wait to see the new ones
The old ones were okay but there was mould on the ceiling and behind the cabinets and I really hate the smell of mould.
That is a lot of work but interesting specially since you have plans to go on yet another adventure. I have been to Melbourne as part of the Australia tour and got to see the Penguin March but missed out on the 12 apostles as we were tired having gone to the Philips Island the previous evening but spent a nice day in the beautiful hotel and did a bit of sight seeing around catching a tram.
I guess this was before one of the apostles crashed into the sea. It would be great to see the Penguin March. I'll put that on our wish list.
@JudyEv When the group returned from that trip they told us ours was a good decision as most of them spent their time sleeping in the bus (lol)
@allknowing We are going to travel that road probably on the way back home after we've been to Tasmania.
@JudyEv Can we see the picture of the before cabinets?
I don't have any. We didn't take photos of the inside. This photo just shows where the cupboards were before we took them out.
@JudyEv Thanks Judy.
@moffittjc (46078)
• Gainesville, Florida
Sounds like you have a great DIY project on your hands! I hope everything turns out great! I know you'll make it look stunningly beautiful
Thanks. Hopefully if you don't look too closely it will look good.
@moffittjc (46078)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv With my bad eyesight I don't think you have anything to worry about! lol
• Denver, Colorado
I'm so far behind. I hope it went well!
Thanks. The cupboards are up now and we've just attached a mirror above the basin.
@kepweng (19133)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
is Visa is needed to be in tasmania??
Not for us as it's part of Australia.