Going to the bathroom at night

@aureliah (10824)
I really hate having to wake up at 3AM and having to pee. It’s annoying since I will rarely recover my sleep. Nowadays I’m forced to get out of bed with my eyes closed, relieve myself and back to bed with my eyes closed. Just to ensure that I decrease my chances of loosing sleep. How do you beat losing sleep after visiting the bathroom?
@sallypup (25836)
• Moses Lake, Washington
My hubby and I are buying a house. It has three bedrooms upstairs and one downstairs. We're deciding which bedroom to call our own and since the downstairs one is also near the bathroom, we're strongly thinking that will be our choice of where to sleep. 3 AM sleepies and coping with wooden stairs?? Thinking that would not be so smart.
@bagarad (10638)
• Paso Robles, California
Yikes! Sounds like the first floor is best.
@sallypup (25836)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@bagarad Very true. One of my knees is not supposed to cope with stairs so for sure I must be rational and sleep down by the bathroom. The circus act can wait for daylight.
@bagarad (10638)
• Paso Robles, California
@sallypup I think I'd avoid the circus act altogether!
@1hopefulman (24880)
You think you have a problem? Sometimes, I have to get up every hour. I do exactly what you do. I usually fall back to sleep and I have been doing this for years now.
@aureliah (10824)
Lucky you that you can fall back to sleep with ease. Mine can go away for good at times.
@1hopefulman (24880)
@aureliah Yes, I'm thankful that I can go back to sleep.
Eyes open or halfway open to tinkle will NOT keep me from returning to sleep especially if it is between 3-5 am . . . unfortunately though after those darn birds start chirping by 6 am and I have to relieve myself, it is more difficult to get back to sleep cause those darn birds LOVE my outside windowsill !
@bagarad (10638)
• Paso Robles, California
Birds can be a nuisance. That's why I use white noise and wear a mask to keep the light out of my eyes after the sun comes up.
@bagarad the white noise sounds okay but I would probably do better with zero stuff buzzing, chirping, screeching etc as my ears are sharper than the should be during those night time hours and I tried the mask thing, it allowed me to sleep but far too long as it tricked my Circadian Rhythm which I don't really want to do I just want to better tame it.
@bagarad (10638)
• Paso Robles, California
@enlightenedpsych2 That's why I have only used the sounds of waves or falling rain without added effects like music and birds which are disturbing. Check out YouTube. Find one you like and then just get the sound for it. If one could watch those videos on the way to dreamland without the screen shutting down, it would be really easy to fall asleep watching the the waves go back and forth and listening to the ocean.
I hate having to get up during the night to use the bathroom. Usually I put it off and put it off and I end up dreaming I'm looking for bathroom and not being able to find one. At that stage I decide I'd better get up and go before I have a nasty accident!
@aureliah (10824)
There is a saying that if you ever dream that you are going to the bathroom, DON'T
@aureliah Very good advice in my experience!
@aureliah (10824)
@JudyEv hehe I take your advise
I have not come up with a solution to this problem yet. It is an annoying problem, for sure.
@aureliah (10824)
One is to avoid taking drinks several hours before going to bed and second is ensuring that you empty your bladder before going to bed
@aureliah Yes, that really does help.
@aureliah (10824)
@Corbin5 thanks for sharing
I last all night long. lol
@aureliah (10824)
hehe i know
@Courage7 (4938)
Yes I know this..I also try to keep eyes closed so annoying
@aureliah (10824)
But the sleep still goes away
@Courage7 (4938)
@aureliah Yes it does
• Dallas, Texas
I get up with eyes open, so I don't bump into things as I walk across the central hallway of my home. I tend to fall back to sleep rather easily. I have this because I am on medication for hypertension and it tends to get me up at least once in the middle of the night. Hope you manage to sleep well, but have at least a tiny hall light along the baseboard of the floor to allow you to make it without falling. If you fall and bump your head, you might just go back to sleep forever. Just saying.
@aureliah (10824)
I have mastered the way to the bathroom so I prefer keeping the eyes closed
• Dallas, Texas
@aureliah Okay then. good for you. Be careful.
@aureliah (10824)
@ridingbet (43839)
may i suggest that you drink only a little at night time. if you do that, your bladder won't be full with urine. are you taking diuretics?
@aureliah (10824)
No I'm not taking any
@ridingbet (43839)
@aureliah well, just adjusting your fluid intake will be all right, so you won't always visit the bathroom.
@aureliah (10824)
@ridingbet I think this is one of the best solutions
I have the same problem as you. I wake up in the middle of the night to relieve myself, but I can easily crawl back into bed and fall asleep again. It has been my problem for many years and so I can't be in a house with no toilet in the bedroom.
@aureliah (10824)
I have learnt the trick of emptying my bladded before I go to be and not to drink much after 6PM
@aureliah I did that too but I end up parched in the middle of the night and restless. So I don’t do that anymore.
@aureliah (10824)
@toniganzon okay that is understandable
@dgobucks226 (9738)
Definitely many can relate as we grow older or have prostate issues. I guess one can take comfort in the fact that misery loves company and on this problem you are not alone...
@aureliah (10824)
That is very well said. misery loves comfort
@aureliah Thanks
I have that scenario sometimes specially every morning. I just sleep and make sure I focused on that.
@aureliah (10824)
Hehe somehow it still comes up
i hate that.i usually watch tv in bed and hope i fall asleep again.
@aureliah (10824)
I d not have a TV in my bedroom. It gets worse when you have an early day the following day
• Preston, England
it tends to leave me awake too - it can be very annoying
@aureliah (10824)
very annoying
@quantum2020 (8561)
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
The same as you, I just walk with my eyes closed and do what whatever I have to do and then go back to sleep
@aureliah (10824)
And assume that you have been sleeping throuhout
@db20747 (5044)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
Me and my aunt both had this problem, I cut back fluids after 6pm !!!
@aureliah (10824)
I discovered this is a perfect solution
U can make sure u use that bathroom before u go to bed. U can also try some classical music. Also try going to the bathroom in the dark.
@aureliah (10824)
I can’t swith on the light. I have mastered the way. Sometimes I take too much water that I must wake up at night.
@rheicel (5460)
I never wake up when I'm already sleeping I make sure before going to bed I already peed.
@aureliah (10824)
Thats a good way to ensure you never wake up
@rheicel (5460)
@aureliah I don't want to get interrupted when I'm already dreaming.
@aureliah (10824)
@rheicel Same here that is why I say it is annoying
@bagarad (10638)
• Paso Robles, California
Join the club. I have to get up about every two hours. I have a CD of ocean sounds and play it every time I get back in bed. It helps me get sleepy again.
@aureliah (10824)
After every 2 hours? This could be too much for me
@bagarad (10638)
• Paso Robles, California
@aureliah I'm rather used to it.
@nela13 (3831)
• Portugal
Very rarely it happens to me, but it us quite annoying.
@aureliah (10824)
you are lucky