I said no ...

@august18 (1644)
Tunisia
The most wonderful guy in the world proposed to me last month and I said no. His proposal came as a shock to me because we have been friends for more than 15 years and I always considered him as a brother. Plus he knows well enough that I don't believe in the idea of marriage. That day I told him that we should never speak to each other again because of the way he feels about me. Last night I saw him in my dreams and I haven't stopped thinking about him ever since. I want to call and check on him but my pride keeps holding me back. What should I do ?
wow you cut him off just like that? Friends for fifteen years.
@august18 (1644)
• Tunisia
Just put yourself in my shoes and you'll know how I felt back then.
@august18 According to you he is the most wonderful guy in the world.You even mentioned that he has been your best friend for more than 15 years. I am just surprised.
@august18 (1644)
• Tunisia
@Iam_jauntyjen Yes, he's wonderful otherwise I wouldn't be his friends all these years. But he made me regret our friendship the moment he proposed to me. He knows so well how much I hate this crap.
@dragon54u (31604)
I would call him if I were you. I know it would be tough marrying someone you felt was family but what do you want from a relationship? If you want emotional fireworks, thrills down your spine when you think of him, longing for him when he's away and passion that burns so hot as to nearly engulf you, you can have that. In fact, anyone can but not for long. That is chemistry and it rarely lasts past a year or so then you're left with whatever you felt for them before you became passionate. All too often, that is very little because people think that passion is love. It's not. It's insanity disguised as love. If you want enduring friendship, reliability, loyalty, and all the other things that go with a good relationship, perhaps you are not seeing the what's right in front of you. I'm not advising you to commit yourself to this man, just to examine your own expectations and see if he is offering something you want but you reject because it is missing the torture of temporary physical obsession. After all, you did say he is the most wonderful guy in the world!
@august18 (1644)
• Tunisia
I never thought about him as the man of my dreams and he knows that so well. And yes he was the most wonderful guy in the world otherwise I wouldn't talk to him. Well there's this man I used to love and he's wonderful, too. What I'm saying is that I miss the way things were between us before his silly proposal.
@dragon54u (31604)
@august18 I hope you two can get back to your friendship as it was! Real friends are so rare and it's sad when we lose them. You two should get together and pretend he never said anything, maybe that will set things back to normal after awhile. Good luck!
@august18 (1644)
• Tunisia
@dragon54u Sure I will. Thanks.
@bunnybon7 (35549)
• Holiday, Florida
oh call. if he cared or still cares that much, you may still find you can't live without each other. just call and ask him how he is
@august18 (1644)
• Tunisia
I don't think I should. At least for now. Thank you for your advice anyway.
I think I can completely understand how you feel. I have been friends with someone if not longer than. The reason why I had to put distance between us it's because he cannot stop telling me how he feels about me. I think the best thing for you to do is call him to see that he is okay. That will at least give you the closure that you need to move on. I don't think you and him can be friends anymore after this. But fore closures sake I think you should make that call.
@august18 (1644)
• Tunisia
Thank you for putting yourself in my shoes. It will take sometime for me to recover from this deception before I make that call.
@august18 that is all you have to do and don't worry about the rest. You never know he might want to hear from you as well. I I told my friend years ago that I would have preferred his friendship over a personal relationship. He could not understand that and no matter how I tried he wouldn't listen. I moved and changed my number.
@mlgen1037 (16761)
• Manila, Philippines
Aw.... I feel sorry for friend but I admire him for his determination and guts. I wish the best for him He must have loved you for a long time that he took all his guts to propose to you. But of course it would be unfair for him if you said yes to him and you are just forcing yourself to him. In time, he will understand.
@august18 (1644)
• Tunisia
I hope he does. I also hope things go back to the way they used to be before he dares to propose to me.
@mlgen1037 (16761)
• Manila, Philippines
@august18 Yes. Maybe some time off will at least alleviate the pain.
@lovebuglena (5548)
• Staten Island, New York
If he has feelings for you and you don't have feelings for him you can remain friends, however, he may not want that if he has feelings for you... And he clearly wants to be more than friends if he proposed to you. But were you in a relationship? Or were you just friends? If you were merely friends it is odd that he proposed...
@august18 (1644)
• Tunisia
We were family... And he knew that I want to stay single and still he proposed.
@iridion9 (6440)
Are you sure you don't have feelings for him?
@august18 (1644)
• Tunisia
Yes, I am. He's like my brother from another mother.
@iridion9 (6440)
@august18 Really is he handsome? then why are you worried?
@august18 (1644)
• Tunisia
@iridion9 He's really handsome. But I want to stay single.
@kepweng (11531)
do u Date these guy for how lomg?
@august18 (1644)
• Tunisia
We didn't date. He is neighbour and my best male friend.
@kepweng (11531)
@august18 its Risky to date a neighboor??
@august18 (1644)
• Tunisia
@kepweng Risky to date at all.
@id_peace (4929)
It is funny that you girls rejected nice guys then when they are taken or when you are lonely, you don't have anyone to be with, you will start to wonder where are all the good guys,
@august18 (1644)
• Tunisia
I don't believe in the idea of marriage that's why I refused. He knew that very well and still he had the guts to propose.
@id_peace (4929)
but you will be losing him for good even as a friend not as a boyfriend or anything like that
@august18 (1644)
• Tunisia
@id_peace I'll call him soon but I need some time to pull my self together.
Wow. I understand saying no if you weren’t interested but to totally cut him off was cruel. I wouldn’t call him, though, unless you planned a full apology for being heartless and wanted to try to resume your friendship. Otherwise, don’t bother.
@august18 (1644)
• Tunisia
It wasn't cruel at all. He has known me for 15 years, he should have anticipated my reaction before thinking about his silly proposal. But, I do bother. I just can't let him go like this. He was my best male friend.
@august18 you asked for opinions. I gave mine.
@august18 (1644)
• Tunisia
@NJChicaa I was very mad I forgot to thank you for your advice. Thank you so much. Sorry for my bad temper.
@Chazzygal (441)
• Botswana
if you cant stop thinking about him then u know you have feelings for him. dnt let pride stand in the way of what could have been your happiness.
@august18 (1644)
• Tunisia
I can't stop thinking about him. But that's because he's my only friend. I can't give up on him like that
• Botswana
@august18 Then if you value your friendship go ahead and call him.
@ridingbet (47345)
well, he is your friend and i believe friendship is what you only want from him.
@august18 (1644)
• Tunisia
That's why I'm mad at him. Because he got my friendship the wrong way.
@ridingbet (47345)
@august18 that is truly disgusting. i would also dislike a friend if he shows other intentions than being friends with me
@caopaopao (5769)
Call him, dear. Or you will lose the wonderful guy in the world.
@august18 (1644)
• Tunisia
I 'll do. But that will take time.
@caopaopao (5769)
@august18 Come on, friend. I'm waiting for your good news.
• Pamplona, Spain
Its hard to say really but if you feel like that why not get back to being just his friend again and that is if you can and see how you feel from there? It seems like he has a great feeling for you but did not know how to say it outright and there are men like that.
@august18 (1644)
• Tunisia
I'll speak to him again but that will take some time.
• Pamplona, Spain
@august18 I have known at least two happenings similar to this one where they did not know how to say how they felt in the end they both got married but I know its not always the case and you have to take your time if you feel that way also.
You have been friends for more than 15 years - and because he proposed ,you told him never to speak to you again? Even though you told him no - surely you could still be friends?
@august18 (1644)
• Tunisia
That's why I boiling. I can't let him go because he's my best friend but at the same time I'm afraid I 'll make him suffer if I stay close.
@august18 You don't have to stay close. Now that you are aware of his feelings you will be alert and not spend too much time with him - but you can still be friends.
@Icydoll (13153)
Just stay away..you are already away from him..you didn't speak with him for few years after proposal.when you don't have any feelings it's not right to talk with him again only for a sake of dream.if you go back he might again feel that you have love feeling towards him..just keep the friendship memories and move on.
@august18 (1644)
• Tunisia
He proposed last month. You're definitely right but something in my heart keeps holding me back. I just can't ignore our friendship.
@Icydoll (13153)
@august18 mmm I can understand the both ways ..I had a friend who faced the same problem..it's not good to continue friendship with even though your friendship is for 15 years because there is chance of him to still show feelings on you ,isn't so easy for him to forget love and remain as a friend with you...I appreciate your decision..but move on now,you not at all wrong
Forget about the shock,just humble yourself before him so he can let you know his intentions for you. With these,you can make your decision.
@august18 (1644)
• Tunisia
I will. Thank you so much.
• Botswana
I think you should call him.The guy is genuine,obviously he knew by telling you how he felt, he will risk loosing great friendship of 15 years but he did it anyway.Marrying your best friend is not a bad idea either..Lol..
@august18 (1644)
• Tunisia
I'm against the idea of marriage. We've been neighbours then friends for many years. He knew that fact about me so well.
Yes.I also want to say no...
@august18 (1644)
• Tunisia
Thanks for sharing your opinion.
Follow your heart. You can call him, for friendship's sake. But then, it's all up to you. Whatever sets your worry and anxious free, do it..
@august18 (1644)
• Tunisia
Thank you for your kind words. I will call him when the time comes.