Listening Is The New Reading

I'm a member of Amazon Prime and every few days I get recommendations from Amazon on my Kindle. When I opened my Kindle this morning the phrase "Listening is the New Reading" caught my eye. Amazon is offering some good deals on audiobooks. As an avid reader I've never listened to an audiobook. Have you? My daughter likes to listen to audiobooks when she's making her long commute on work days and it keeps her drive interesting and she would rather listen to a book than sit and read one. I'm just the opposite. I like holding a book, turning the pages and just having the whole reading experience. Of course I have lots of books downloaded on my Kindle and do enjoy using it from time to time especially if my ability to download one for free or practically free. Which reminds me that I've been so busy loving the beautiful weather that I haven't chosen a new book to read yet. That's almost a whole week without a book in my hands Egads!! I better get back in the reading mode
I prefer holding a book in my hand. but I suppose audio books are convenient at times.
One of my friends here on myLot says she listens to her books while she cleans. I haven't tried it but I might one day
Agreed
@OneOfMany (12426)
I like reading better than listening. I daydream when I listen to people talk...
LOL, I space them out more than not.
@OneOfMany (12426)
@andriaperry It's why I didn't learn much during lectures in college. I was always day dreaming.
I agree with that. I probably would fall asleep while listening
Take a book outside with you and enjoy the weather and read. That will take care of two wonderful things at the same time.
@just4him , Excellent advice Valerie!
I love to read outside but it's just been a bit too chilly. Once the weather gets really nice I sit outside on my deck in the back during the morning and my front porch in the afternoons.
@marlina I thought you'd appreciate that.
I like reading books, I do not like listening to them.
I've never listened to a book but I wonder about the voice of the narrator. Would I like the way they read or would they put me to sleep
@Marilynda1225 I need to read at my speed, to imagine the scenery and figure out the characters. I never liked to listen others read.
@LadyDuck you make a very good point. I didn't take into consideration a moment to take a breath when something is happening in the book and you need to pause.
@Icydoll (14947)
Reading is better than listening my dear friend..I don't like audio books.. happy reading..
I have absolutely no intention of "listening to books".
@Icydoll (14947)
@marlina same here dear friend
I don't think I'd be fond of listening either
I have listened to i Audiobooks and thought I am getting another audiobook Thursday at the library. I find recently i like a book better, but do use my Kindle sometimes, too, but i have been reading paper books from the library. But i want to listen to an audiobook while I am on my lot. Do you have any idea what book you will start? i am reading a book told by a narrator about being in battle (for the German army) in world war one. It is called "all quiet on the western front," and i am reading it for book club Saturday. Then I read the Andy Rooney book that came in the mail yesterday that I bought used from Amazon.
Does the library have a good selection of audiobooks? I think the next book I read will be a thriller, possibly James Patterson
@Marilynda1225 The library where I go as a huge selection of them.I am going to get an audiobook today as I am going to the library again for my book club as I forgot to get one on Thursday. I just bought another James Patterson book Thursday at a library book sale. I don't think I ever read one of his. My library friend told me David Baldacci writes like Patterson but better. Have you ever read Baldacci?
No I have never listened to a book. I always have the paper book in my hands.
@andriaperry Same here.
If I don't have an actual book in my hands I do have some good ones downloaded on my Kindle
I have never listened to an audiobook but I have friends that swear by it. I have been stuggling with the same book for two months.
You've been so busy lately that I'm surprised you would even have time for the things you need to do never mind read. I'm sure once you get settled back home you'll relax and read.
@Marilynda1225 I actually did start a new book yesterday afternoon.
@AlisaTR (1383)
I like reading more. And, like you, I prefer the books and the dog-eared pages and the smells of ink and paper over the technology. Of course I have tablets and I am not above listening to a book if, say, I am in the kitchen or involved in a chore where my hands are occupied. But I would always choose to read first.
You summed up exactly what I've been thinking. Guess there's a place for each in this world (real, ebooks and audio)
@AlisaTR (1383)
oh no! hope you pick out a book today and start reading it!
I've been such a slacker! not me at all
@Marilynda1225 doesnt sound like it.
I do like listening to an audio book on long car drives, but that is it. I prefer a book in my hands.
I wouldn't be able to read a book in the car but audiobook sounds like the perfect solution and it probably makes the trip go faster
@Marilynda1225 It really does.
I'm with you on paper books. The one time we had an audiobook was when we drove to Williamsburg, Virginia for a vacation. Of course, I fell asleep and the book was ruined for me.
I tend to think that listening to a book would either be distracting (depending on the voice of the narrator) or it would lull me to sleep. One day I'll give it a try
@Marilynda1225 I still prefer a real paper book. I use ebooks when I fly.
The only time I've listened to an audio book is on a long journey in the car. Otherwise, like you I much prefer a proper book. I don't possess a kindle anyway.
I would imagine listening to an audiobook while traveling would help pass the time but I think listening to an audiobook would make me sleepy
I should try that, sounds like a easy way to have a bed time story lol.
good point TR
Yes, I have. I prefer to listen to self-help audio books because it's like I'm being counseled. As for other genres, I still prefer the printed ones.
You make a very good point. I think I would like to listen to something inspirational
I have a paperback book tat I keep in my car that I can read while waiting for someone at the hospital or Doctor's for someone.
that's a very good idea. My oldest daughter keeps a book in the car to read while she's waiting for the kids to get off the school bus
@Courage7 (5697)
There are many free audiobooks also on Amazon.
Maybe I'll download one and see if I like listening
reading for me.Unable to hear the audio.Me deaf
I never thought about having hearing issues and not being able to hear an audiobook. I have trouble with the sound of the tv and I'm sure the neighbors can hear what I'm watching at times
I am a 100% reader of printed books.
They are the best and I would never give them up. I do have some really good ones downloaded on my Kindle and it's easy to read at night since it lights up the pages and I can adjust the font.
@id_peace (6033)
Yes yes I listen to audiobooks and will look at the novel if it is really interesting
Good to hear that you enjoy audiobooks