Some things need not be expensive

@louievill (18675)
I'm here at our very own backyard now charcoal grilling a large variety of tilapia called " pla-pla" that is native to Africa at the same time sipping my favorite brand of ice cold beer. I bought the fishes unscaled for charcoal grilling purposes so the picture might give you an Idea that its over done, stuffed it with a local sour fruit called " kamias" that also grows in our garden, then some salt and pepper to taste. Now who said having fun is expensive? Do you also do things that give you a lot of joy but does not cost so much than if you did it somewhere else? Picture is the actual grill in my backyard garden
I love grilled fish and I agree that some things do not need to be expensive. A home made pizza baked in the wood fired oven is something that makes us happy.
@louievill (18675)
Home made pizza would surely make me very happy too.
@louievill It is so inexpensive made at home.
@louievill (18675)
@LadyDuck yes another thing with home made is you can make and eat all you want compared to foods eaten out that have definite serving size and quantity and costs a lot more
I haven't tried grilled fish yet. But it seems very attractive for me. Is this kind of fish with a lot of bones? Here usually we will just steam the fish with soy sauce and oil.
@louievill (18675)
You should try grilling and make a soy dip if you like. Tilapia is meaty, you cannot grill thin fishes cause it will burn easily, the one with lots of bones is milkfish, we also stuff and grill that at times.
@louievill In fact I found many fish has many bones and this is why I hope to find some with less bones
@louievill (18675)
@youless Try boneless " bangus" or milkfish, very delicious minus the disturbance. Not so sure if we also learned this technique from the Chinese
Actual deboning of Milkfish "Bangus". A fish vendor in Urdaneta Pangasinan shows her skills in bangus deboning.
@thelme55 (14574)
Oh my! I am getting hungry. I have not eaten this kind of fish for months. Yummy!
@louievill (18675)
we Filipinos most of the time crave for it and we have the tendency to invent all kinds of dips to make it more delicious
@thelme55 (14574)
@louievill you are right. I agree with you.
@louievill I love going to barbeques. I love the smell of the grill.
@louievill (18675)
Thank you, you are welcome to drop by our house anytime and we will barbeque all day or all night long
@louievill Sorry, I do not leave Israel and I only eat food that is kosher.Thank you anyway.
@louievill (18675)
@Hannihar oh I understand cause you follow biblical Levitical law on food. Muslims are the same they only eat foods that are " halal"
Oh yes, we have a lot of inexpensive things that can already make us happy, in my parents' backyard too. We have lots of fruit-bearing trees, like the pomelo, young coconuts, lemons, starfruit and some other fruits, which when ripe we will pick and eat. We also sometime would grill fish and liempo every now and then for our lunch. Such inexpensive things we can relish at any time we want to.
@louievill (18675)
For filipinos lucky enough to have a backyard and trees it's the fun place, it holds a lot of memories from childhood till we grow old, yeah lots of free and inexpensive but fun things we can do there
@louievill I agree. We are lucky to live in the province, where most residences have a backyard, even if the house is just a nipa hut.
@louievill (18675)
@SIMPLYD hehe.. We were lucky to buy in this subdivision in Las Piñas when it was still cheap and land cuts were still big and there were still very few people.
@Icydoll (20009)
Kamias ? What fruit is it my dear friend?
@louievill (18675)
Balimbi my friend
@Icydoll (20009)
@louievill okay enjoy your fish
@cintol (6440)
I love Tilapia, they say its not good for you but we like it. If I don't have trout, we eat that
@louievill (18675)
I wonder why it's not good, we do not have trout, think it's found in cold lakes
@cintol (6440)
@louievill They are farm raised so they say they are not as healthy to eat as other fish because they are fed corn and soy. We don't eat a lot but sometimes once a month.
@louievill (18675)
@cintol i see, we have a native wild tilapia variety that is much much tastier and darker in color but smaller and less meaty, they are getting harder to find now.
@FayeHazel (18027)
Grilled fish, interesting idea - I wouldn't have thought. Good point, one does not need spend a lot of money to have fun
@louievill (18675)
Filipinos love to grill fish all the time most especially on weekends.
@FayeHazel (18027)
@louievill I'm now tempted to try grilling fish
@louievill (18675)
@FayeHazel try it, who knows you might like it, it's a healthier option.
@ridingbet (53182)
oh, i love eating grilled fish like that one, with my bare hands and some slices of ripe tomatoes. yum yum
@louievill (18675)
One of the Filipino's favorite food, grilled fish with whatever dip you like, I like mine with fried garlic, melted butter and native lemon or calamansi and a dash of hot sauce. Another version is " tuba" or coconut vinegar, aged with, chillies, pepper corn, chopped onions, garlic, ginger, ground pepper and lemon grass root, done the Western Visayas style called " sinamak"
@ridingbet (53182)
@louievill oh, so many ingredients. a spicy vinegar, the 'datu puti' and some 'siling labuyo' is already good for me. come, let us boodle fight. hahaha! that dish is well suited for boodling.
@louievill (18675)
@ridingbet let's go, wait I have a problem, I do not know how to eat with my hands that's why I'm thin a popular belief
@kepweng (15005)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
nice but i think its called saint peter fish???
@louievill (18675)
Saint Peter's fish is a salt water variety of tilapia since the apostles fished in the sea of Galilee, our native tilapia and pla pla species are raised in fresh water ponds
@kepweng (15005)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
@louievill nioce what other tilapia dish cuisine u preferred??
@louievill (18675)
@kepweng you can fillet it to take out the bone, fry it in butter, put a pinch of salt and pepper and decorate it with parsely. You can also wrap it in pechay leaves and boil it in coconut milk, I just recently learned to appreciate this dish from Bicol called " salay-salay"
@caopaopao (8623)
Looks delicious. I like grilled fish very much. Oh the picture makes me want to have the fish right now.
@louievill (18675)
Go for it. , I'm also thinking of grilling again haha..
@caopaopao (8623)
@louievill Okay wait for me. Don't eat it up.
@louievill (18675)
@caopaopao are you in Southern China? There is much more variety of fish there and you are nearer to us, hurry up you can still make it here
@1hopefulman (28612)
Yes, I also enjoy simple meals that are delicious and satisfying and don't cost a fortune. This was a free meal: dandelion flowers with some chives that were growing in a park close to where I live on a sunny day.
@louievill (18675)
That's great, do you still do that up to now?
@1hopefulman (28612)
@louievill Yes, here at this time of year the dandelions are plentiful and today also I enjoyed some for free. I really enjoy eating the flowers.
@louievill (18675)
@1hopefulman wish I could taste what you make, I have not checked if it grows here and hope you can send me a picture of your prepared dish when you can
A healthy low cost or free meal is awesome! I don't eat meat but I remember my late husband eating that kind of fish. He used to buy it frozen at Walmart I believe.
@louievill (18675)
Over here somtimes it's still alive and kicking when you buy it.
@louievill ick do you have to take it home and kill it?
@louievill (18675)
@shaggin it's considered fresher than the frozen ones that has a fishier odor, most Asians prefer live over frozen cause it's like newly catched when you go fishing. You simply put it in a pot and salt it and it's gonna die, it may sound cruel but that's the life a fish and man had been doing it since the dawn of time I guess.
I miss eating grilled fish. I haven't cooked grilled fish for a looooooooooooooong time.
@louievill (18675)
Where are you from? If you are just nearby I would be more than glad to give you some, a fish vendor brings a us fresh fish and sea foods every day and asks my mother and or wife if they want to buy. So from time to time we grill.
@louievill wow! I wish we were neighbors haha..I am a Filipino living in Korea.
@louievill (18675)
@Iam_jauntyjen Living there permanently? In a few months my eldest son by God's grace would be sailing to Korea, he's training for cadetship to become a ship officer under a Korean captain.
@mlgen1037 (29641)
• Manila, Philippines
I do not eat Tilapia anymore but I do I agree that the best things in life are not that expensive. Hihi. I want milkfish though.
@louievill (18675)
We combine " bangus" or milkfish at times in the grill so we can have a choice what to eat. My mother hails from Western Visayas where sea fishes are abundant does not eat fresh water fishes like tilapia, " dalag", catfish and the like. I love milkfish especially the large ones but it's so bony I attack the belly part first
@mlgen1037 (29641)
• Manila, Philippines
@louievill Hahaha my mom and husband are the first ones to attach the belly part. And yes, the bigger the better and you can put tomatoes, ginger, "sili," and onion inside. Hmmm heaven.
@louievill (18675)
@mlgen1037 we also make " relleno" with ground beef filling and wrapped in aluminum foil.
• Baguio, Philippines
Yes indeed. Simple things are the most that give ultimate and fulfilling happiness
@louievill (18675)
Yes they do and it's all around us.
• Baguio, Philippines
@louievill But time to time, we feel envious, just like what i just felt. lol
@louievill (18675)
@BH0elmereen you gotta plan and set up your own lol
• Trinidad And Tobago
That looks like a good sunday relaxing cook up.Add family and friends and you have fun and good memories. We have that brand of fish here: tilapia but I have never tasted it. It was promoted by the government as an inexpensive food. What os 'kamias'? and do they act as a kind of seasoning? When we stuff cascadura fish here, we use lots of onions and good curry. Hmmm, to die for. We roast corn, build a bonfire and howl at the moon. Tell some stories too. Very therapeutic !
@louievill (18675)
Yes it's inexpensive cause they introduced the bigger African variety, our native is smaller but tastier. Kamias is balimbi, a native sour tropical fruit, I will send you a picture of my actual tree with fruits. Yes we stuff a lot and roast a lot and invent many kinds of dips, I wish I can visit your bonfires, tell me a story, I love scary stories over campfires and full moons
@louievill (18675)
@Gita17112016 your fruit tree is not familiar with me, tilapia is not tasty in herself but the many ways to prepare and cook it plus the many dips and side dishes that could be invented makes it exciting. I'm sorry that crime rate seems to be high where you are.
@Daelii (5635)
Money doesn't have anything to do with happiness or enjoyment! Some of my happiest times are just sitting outside, doing nothing but talking and being with family. :) I also have a blog I'm working on to encourage parents to have quality time with their kids for 1$ or less an activity . Most of it is doing free things or easy to do things with recyclables and items around the house!
@louievill (18675)
That's very nice, my children also grew with me and my wife, rearing them up hands on, we were or still are always available for them because our business is also in our home so we don't go to work or an office.
@Daelii (5635)
@louievill That is amazing! I'm a stay at home mom, so I can be available to take care of them as they need it!
@louievill (18675)
@Daelii yes when we are with them all the time we don't need to stuff them with money and expensive stuff to fill the gap and if ever I do that from time to time I make it clear that I worked hard for it to afford providing them with luxury.
@epiffanie (10466)
Wow! that is something that I look forward to .. to cook outdoor when I stay in my retreat over there ....
@louievill (18675)
Wow! You have a retreat house here? This is only in our backyard, I designed it to get the rural feel even if I'm in a private subdivision at the heart of Metro Manila
@epiffanie (10466)
@louievill we only have an acre of land in the province with a small house.. that’s our retreat ..We love to stay away from the city...
@louievill (18675)
@epiffanie that's good enough, you can do lots of things with an acre in the provinces in our country
That looks so delicious! I agree that it's not necessary to spend a lot of money to receive joy. Just being with my family is joy enough and doesn't cost a thing.
@louievill (18675)
I agree, it's the company or the people we are with that makes as happy.
@louievill Exactly!!!