Don`t Know It? Learn it.

Some people have the misconception that you cannot learn unless you go to college, or school in general but that is not true. I did not go to college but that never stopped me from learning what I wanted to know. For so many years books were my way to learn everything I was curious about but now we have the internet and everything is in your face with videos to go along with the text. Knowledge with just a click of a button, never would have thought about this back in 1985. Another way to learn is from others. Listen. You do not have to be a know it all when in a group of people, everyone has some type of talent and we teach each other. I learned how to do so many things from listening to the elderly. Even how to call and ask people for money, since I am a landlady I needed that! This is my first year of mushroom hunting but by no means am I picking blindly not knowing what I am doing. I have been studying for a whole year and not with just some person going out and picking an hoping it wont kill him. No this is the guy I listen to, I will drop a link so you`ll know I am not just some crazy redneck down south. Are you like me? A sponge for knowledge? I just hope my head don`t grow bigger :) Photo mine - Dryad`s saddle mushroom- harvested off my own land.
Skip navigation Sign inSearch Added to Watch Later Removed from Watch Later Subscription added Subscription removed Saved to Playlists Removed from Playlists Added to playlist Removed from playlist Added to Liked videos Removed from Liked videos
College is over rated. I went to trade school after I graduated and it got me into a line of work that helped me get jobs that supported me for 40 years. In those 40 years I worked with all kinds of people who had masters degrees but couldn't get jobs in their chosen fields yet they were in debt to student loans. I honestly think college is just a joke to try to get kids to sign up for student loans so they'll be in debt all their lives.
You do have a point.
@andriaperry and @rebelann my daughter and son in law are still paying and they are almost forty. Both still learn. They probably could have skipped college, but they never would have met. I feel torn.
I was lucky then @GardenGerty dad paid for my Tech school training so I didn't have to take out a loan, I can't imagine what I would have done if I had to pay for a school loan. I hope both of your kids have decent jobs that makes it all worth while.
I think I've learnt more in the last few years from being on the internet than I ever did at school.
Me too.
I always love to learn all that I can. It is not only good for me but also very interesting. Guess why they have that saying - food for thought.
Cause we are hungry to know! LOL.
I have learned a lot of things here on the internet along with others.Wonder if I can get my master
Probably, I wonder if anyone has tried?
@andriaperry I am sure they have there.They have my college course online
@velvet53 (16623)
• Palisade, Colorado
I love to learn and won't ever stop. Like you said, there are many ways to learn something new if a person really wants to. If there is a will there is a way. Good luck and have fun mushroom hunting.
Thank you. I just see them and pick them.
@velvet53 (16623)
• Palisade, Colorado
@andriaperry I don't really care for mushrooms but it might be fun looking for them.
My other ate mushrooms and while they didn't kill her she did wind up very ill for hours throwing up and diaherra. The kinds were fine to eat but she just ate such a huge amount I guess is what caused it. They were popinki mushrooms but not sure he it's spelled. I hate mushrooms so I do not eat them nor do I want to learn to identify them but I think it's so cool guy are doing his if you enjoy eating them. I have friends who go mushroom hunting. My boyfriend is pretty knowledgeable about mushrooms as well. I take photos of pretty mushrooms when I am hiking. Chicken of the Woods is one of my favorites.
I love them. Tony ate a piece and told me to wait a week, if he is still alive we will eat the one I home canned.
@tzwrites (4913)
I am afraid of picking my own mushrooms. There could be a tiny little detail that makes the difference, it must be a good feeling to learn to pick your own.
This time last year I would never have cleaned and cooked a wild mushroom. You have to learn and then trust what you have learned and apply it.
That's one thing about Mylot that really appeals to me. I learn something everyday here
I don`t learn that much here, but when I research for something online I can learn more and then some.
@Platespinner (16520)
Education is a journey, not a destination.
Spoken from a teacher.
@andriaperry I'm not teacher I'm just a little yellow dude who likes to soak things up. I don't "do" school.
@andriaperry andria, you are a self made woman. That is a good way to learn. You are right school and college do not always help and even with a degree you may not get the job you want. My father was a self made man. Good for you andria.
Now if I wanted to be a doctor I would need college.
@andriaperry So so true andria. It is a lot of years too.
@porwest (4855)
I am definitely like you in that regard. Never went to college and never felt I ever needed it. In fact, I think it would have been a total waste of money. One of the best things I ever learned was the stock market, and of course learning how to manage my money extremely well just fuels what I can invest. I am at a good place financially in my life because of what I am able to do with what I learned just about money. I even make more doing that than I do in my job for that matter.
I, like you learned about money. I am also in a good place in life.
@porwest (4855)
@andriaperry It pays dividends. Literally. So many people don't know that when you save you don't sacrifice, that it is in fact just the opposite.
@peavey (16640)
Yes, I am. There's a word that describes it: autodidactic. I learned that when I homeschooled my kids and kind of hung on to it because it sounds cool. Over my life I have had an avid interest in several things and learned everything I could about them. I read a lot, and now, like you said, with the internet, it's so easy to satisfy my curiosity. However, I think I come across a lot of things in books that I wasn't looking for, so that's a plus to just reading. Way back when I was a young adult, I finished high school through a correspondence course and that was the extent of my formal education. I really want to toot my own horn here, but I had better not.
toot it! You deserve to.
@peavey (16640)
@AKRao24 (18365)
That was an wonderful discussion! I believe in the concept that 'Life is a lesson and experiences we get from it are answer we get!'.....No need to have a formal education to lead a happy life! Its you and only you who can make a difference! Thanks!
You`re right.
@AKRao24 (18365)
@andriaperry ,Thanks!
@Herlyn123 (395)
Learning does not have a deadline. Don't rush things in life. Learn from mistakes. We all have a different time frame in life. We'll just have to wait for our turn and enjoy the goods things that come our way.
I am old, I already waited , learned and got it.
@RubyHawk (25455)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I've learned a lot in my lifetime. I do consider myself knowledgeable.
Me too.
Yes I still learn new things everyday.
Its fun too.
@wolfgirl569 (4911)
• Marion, Ohio
I enjoy learning too. I have never seen those mushrooms before
Me either so when I looked them up they are a common edible mushroom
• Marion, Ohio
@andriaperry What type do they taste similar to
@wolfgirl569 I have not tried them yet, Tony did he said they were good, so who knows. He told me not to eat none for a week and if he lives they are safe, crazy man!
• New Delhi, India
So true. Its not important that we may not get a chance to go that high in terms of education but then it doesnt stop us from learning.
Unless you are to be a doctor or lawyer, I would pass.
• New Delhi, India
@andriaperry ofcourse
I am always learning. I love doing research to find out what I don't know. I did a lot of that yesterday for the book I'm working on.
And I have a note pad right beside the computer!
@andriaperry I use the notepad on the computer. I also have a composition book filled with information for one of the books I'm working on.
@Srbageldog (8597)
I agree, you don't have to go to college to learn things. A lot of stuff you learn in college is pointless information, anyway.
I know, where is the history of homesteading? How to make things and food? No where, just talk about wars and invasions.
@andriaperry It's stuff that you will likely forget as soon as you are finished with the class.