My books

Hungary
As I was at the bookfair on Sunday, I took some photos about my books. I sent the photos to a local second hand bookshop via e-mail. They replied me that they would buy my books. Yesterday I had a program close to the bookshop, so I took more then 20 books into my rucksack and another back and I visited there. Here comes the surprising part. They told me that they would buy 18 books. All of them was published in the last 10 years and was in very good condition. And they offered me a price. A price that was ridiculous. They wanted to pay me $7 for all the 18 books. I thanked them and I left the bookstore. Of course, I didn't sell them my books. I know that second hand books are cheap, but they could sell some of the books for $7 or more. So they offer was not good for me. But then I met with a friend. I still had my heavy bag and I told her to choose some books to ease the weight of my bag. I gave her two books as a gift. I was happier giving her the books as a gift as I would have been if I sold all for $7 to the bookshop.
@id_peace (6218)
THey low ball you and give you a low amount but sell high amount when they repackage it
• Hungary
Totally right. They would put the books on their shelves and they could sell it for a very good amount. I counted and I think that they could sell the 18 books for $100+.
@anikoonline that was a sneaky trick. i would be happier gifting it, too, than be deceived like that.
• Hungary
@hereandthere Yes, I was happy to gift the books. If I sold them for that price, I would have a bad taste in my mouth.
@Jessabuma (21425)
• Baguio, Philippines
Ohh that's nice! Your friend must be very happy..
• Hungary
Thank you! Yes, I was happy, too. My experience at the bookshop was so desperate that I needed to do something good to feel better.
@Jessabuma (21425)
• Baguio, Philippines
@anikoonline hehehe!!! Nice. Be happy always
I used to sell them but tend to donate. I know I won’t get a lot so I am not surprised with low prices. At a garage sale they go about 25 cents each.
• Hungary
I was surprised by the price, as I know they sell the books $5 (or more) each, they are more expensive then a garage sale.
• Hungary
@CookieMonster46 Sure! I know that they want to get the maximum profit.
@anikoonline I had to close my mind to it that I paid more than I get, I had tons at one time . I will never read them again.even if they sell one for 5 it gives some one a chance to read it that can’t pay full price.now I try for ebooks, I don’t have room for them.
@anikoonline That is sad that they were not honest to tell you that in the e-mail so you would not have to lug all those books around.
• Hungary
I was a bit angry as I planned my day to go there and take that heavy rucksack. I had some back pain the next day.
@anikoonline I am not surprised with the heavy load you had to carry on your back.
• Hungary
@Hannihar Now the pain is gone, but it was a good experience to remember.
@august18 (2186)
• Tunisia
I hope you get a good deal with the ones that you left.
• Hungary
Thank you! I took some photos and started to sell online. I ask $5 for a book and have already sold 5 this week.
@anikoonline wow! that's great! that experience at the bookshop became a positive after all. congrats! do you mail them to they buyers? who shoulders the cost?
• Hungary
@hereandthere Yes, the bookshop experience has positive effects. I prefer meeting personally to give the books to the buyers. As I live in the capital, it is the easiest. But I've already sent a book to a girl that lives in 150 km from the capital. She was very nice, she offered that she will pay the shipping. But it depends on the situation, sometimes we split the shipping fee or I pay it.
@ridingbet (50275)
books as gifts is better than money.
• Hungary
I agree. I think it was the right thing to do.
@ridingbet (50275)
@anikoonline though some still prefer money because they want to buy what they need.
@mlgen1037 (25607)
• Manila, Philippines
Oh wow! Those are cheap! Lucky you.
• Hungary
Yes, it was really cheap.
@mlgen1037 (25607)
• Manila, Philippines
@anikoonline I envy you.
@Icydoll (15189)
books as gifts is better than money ..your friend must be very happy..
• Hungary
Thank you! I agree, a book is a very good gift. She is a very good friend, I am happy if I can give her a nice gift.
@iridion9 (6961)
It's better to give than to sell.
• Hungary
I agree. I felt much better when I gave these 2 books to my friend.
• New Delhi, India
I wish you get a good deal in the future
• Hungary
Thank you! I started to sell them on facebook asking $5 for one book. I've already sold some books.
• New Delhi, India
@anikoonline is Facebook a good platform for selling them
• Hungary
@amitkokiladitya I think so. I have good experiences with selling on facebook. There are many facebook groups that are about selling and buying books. And it is not hard to find a buyer there.
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
I can understand that especially as those two books went to a good home. You will have to see if you can get a better price somewhere else for the others.
• Hungary
I tried to sell them on facebook marketplace and I could collect some dollars there.
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@anikoonline Yes I sold a whole set of children's books on facebook.
• Hungary
@sprite1950 I am satisfied with selling on facebook, it seems to work well for me, too.
@FayeHazel (17164)
That is kind of you. You're right. The $7 price was insulting. It's nice you were able to give your friend a gift
• Hungary
Thanks for the comment! It was good to make my friend happy. And I've already sold some of the books during the week.
@FayeHazel (17164)
@anikoonline Oh good, happy you were able to sell some of the rest of the books
@YrNemo (11876)
Good on you (not selling your books at a dirt cheap price like that to those book sellers).
• Hungary
Yes, I agree. I made a good decision.
@quantum2020 (8937)
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
I think you did right. Giving the books to someone who is going to have fun reading them is better than selling your books to someone who does not value them like they should
• Hungary
Thanks! I agree. It was the good decision.
Great! Sharing is caring
• Hungary
@silvermist (20107)
The second hand books are cheap when they buy from us.But costs much when we buy them.You did right in not selling them for $7.
• Hungary
Yes, I know that they won't offer me a very good price, but I hoped that they would offer a fair price. I guess $2 for a book that they will sell $8-10 would be a fair price.
Is there ebay in Hungary? Or amazon? You can sell used books there. I've done it in Germany. You can ask for a price yourself.
• Hungary
I've tried to use ebay, but I had some trouble. When I wanted to set the place of the item and the shipping, it didn't let me use hungary and add some international shipping options. Now I try to sell them in facebook groups.
@rakski (12129)
yes, that is true. It is nicer to give it away than selling it for a very small amount
• Hungary
I agree. I'd rather give it to anyone that want it for free than selling them for nothing when I know that they can make a good profit.
@kepweng (13512)
hope u publish your book world wide
@1hopefulman (27554)
It seems more like an insult than an offer!