Getting a 13 Year Old Boy to Read a Book

It would be easier to push a boulder up the side of a mountain than get my grandson to sit and read the book he has to read before school starts. The book he was assigned and has to do a report on is Endangered by Eliot Schrefer. My grandsons complain is that it's about a girl (I'm not a girl he says) and it's about monkeys (I don't like monkeys he says). Here's a little synopsis of the book: From National Book Award Finalist Eliot Schrefer comes the compelling tale of a girl who must save a group of bonobos -- and herself -- from a violent coup. Congo is a dangerous place, even for people who are trying to do good. When Sophie has to visit her mother at her sanctuary for bonobos, she’s not thrilled to be there. Then Otto, an infant bonobo, comes into her life, and for the first time she feels responsible for another creature. But peace does not last long for Sophie and Otto. When an armed revolution breaks out in the country, the sanctuary is attacked, and the two of them must escape unprepared into the jungle. Caught in the crosshairs of a lethal conflict, they must struggle to keep safe, to eat, and to live. (synopsis from Amazon) This book got good reviews and it sounds interesting to me. But I almost have to agree with my grandson that it probably isn't anything that would be of interest to him. I'm hoping he can read this book and get some enjoyment out of it and maybe one day he'll enjoy reading like I do. Has anyone read this book or any of your kids have to read it for school?
This is a new book to me. I do agree that a different book, similar to Sherman Alexi's The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian would have been a better choice for a boy.
Maybe I can get him to read the book you mentioned. There has to be a book out there that he'll enjoy
@Marilynda1225 He will like it, I believe. It has some graphics, and guys love graphics along with text. It is funny too. Definitely a book for guys. Holes by Louis Sachar is a good read too for guys of 13 years, and it was made into a movie.
@Corbin5 I made a note of these books and will highly recommended them to him.I feel really bad that he's getting reprimanded for not reading the assigned book. He's such a good kid
Not into reading myself, and that book definitely wouldn't get me into being one either. Hope he can fight through it though to get it done for school.
I'm afraid he's going to have to buckle down and get it done. I do feel bad for him
@Marilynda1225 right. maybe if he does it fast enough, it wont hurt so much lol
@Courtlynn maybe
@JESSY3236 (7294)
I haven't read it. When I was in school, I didn't like reading books they assigned us to read. I rather read Sweet Valley High books when I was in school. Although I did like White Fang.
I think kids would be more inclined to read it they could pick their own books
i loved those Sweet Valley High books so much!
Never heard of this book before. Somehow, I can understand your grandson not to want to read this particular one. I would pass on it myself. I wonder why they chose that particular book?
Not sure as it seems like a weird choice even to me
No not this book but I used to read what the kids had to read, I was curious.
I'm almost curious enough to read it myself just to see why it would be recommended for middle school
@PainsOnSlate (20584)
I haven't heard of it yet... My library is my favorite place...
I would have to try the book first before i know if I wanted to read it. My nephew was like your grandson. He detested reading. Last year in sixth grade he had to read 25 books for the year. He started Harry Potter books, and i think he may have finished the series as he got to go on a special field trip for the million word readers as he read a million words, this was done by the end of March. My sister used to have to read the book and almost write the book reports You might try Harry Potter books as my nephew is weeks away from 13 years old, (He was in sixth last year as he was held back a year) not sure why they held him back. he really enjoyed them
Harry Potter is quite popular and I'll ask my grandson of hes ever read any of them
@Marilynda1225 I hope it gets him interested in reading. My nephew still is not a person who reads for the love of reading as you and I do. I secretly think he only read those because he had to read it for school. He has not read anything this summer. I don't think he has to read anything for school. I wish your grandson and my nephew would start reading for entertainment
@Marty1 hopefully one day they will enjoy reading as much as we do. I've noticed though that my 3 daughters love to read whereas my son not so much. The same with my granddaughters (they love reading) and the grandsons not so much either. Wonder if it's more a boy thing?
@Courage7 (16572)
I wish they would let kids choose which books to read instead. I havent read that book no Marilyn. I hope he is able to complete it, despite the odds.
I feel bad for him especially since his parents are constantly yelling at him to read it and get it over with. School starts soon and he's procrastinated all summer
@Courage7 (16572)
@Marilynda1225 Yes I do feel bad for him too. A thing like this can put kids off reading. Shame they dont let them pick
@Courage7 he said the same thing
@Marilynda1225 Why can't he read something that does interest him?
Because this book was assigned as a summer reading project for school. He has to do a report on it when he returns to school in Sept.
@Marilynda1225 That is too bad he cannot choose something he would like instead of that one.
@akalinus (21378)
My son would not read in school. A teacher assigned him to read the Hobbit. I made him open the book and start reading. He read for a bit and was hooked. Since then, he has read hundreds, maybe thousands of books. He has read just about every fantasy book ever written and branched out from there.
That's amazing that your son developed such a love of reading
@akalinus (21378)
@Marilynda1225 I was ready to give up until he read the Hobbit.
I haven't read this but you'd think they would have chosen something that would have appealed more to both sexes.
This book doesn't seem to be a book for his age and with such a huge choice of books for young adults you would think that the teacher would have chosen something more in tune with both sexes
I haven't heard of it. I guess it might help to tell him that part of the reason we read is to open our mind to new experiences..yeah, I know pretty lame..but it's the best I could come up with!
You are right !!
He sounds like our son at that age. And I cannot blame him, its so much nicer to choose your own book to read then to be assigned, but he'll have to finish his educational career before he can do that.
I wholeheartedly agree even though I feel bad for him. Just another life lesson
Never heard of the book. I have been a reader since I could remember. I was the book report champion of the 4th, 5th and 6th grades. I was getting into more adult books by age 13. But I am from a far different generation of the past.
That's pretty remarkable John and here you are today still loving books. I hope my grandson discovers a passion for reading too
• Uzbekistan
Can you promise him a reward when he's written the synopsis*? One shouldn't have to bribe someone to make them discover the joys of reading but if it helps in the long run . . . *not copied from amazon, of course. Maybe you can find questions on the book somewhere for which there are no answers on the net.
Don't know if a bribe will work but it's certainly worth trying it
I don't think I have ever read it, but might be good.
@moichan (688)
Maybe you can give him a treat or something he likes if he will read the book. I bet every kid would love to be compensated to do things they don't want to do.