Thursday 9/13/2018 H. Florence Check In 3

(c)2018 DW Davis
@DWDavis (12874)
Pikeville, North Carolina
I don't know if you can tell from the photo but the first rain band from Hurricane Florence has arrived here in Pikeville. It's a light steady rain right now but I know more is coming. Lots more. Winds have been hovering around 15 mph (24 kph) for a couple of hours now. There have been stronger gusts. I'd estimate some as high as 20 or so mph (32 kph). The Outer Banks is already reporting at least 10,000 have lost power. I am 99.44% certain we will, too. It's just a matter of time. I'll post again when the next big change comes, if power and internet allow. P.S. Within minutes of posting this we received a severe Thunderstorm Alert with possibility of 40 mph gusts. Hopefully this won't be my last post for a while, but just in case I want to thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.
I better call my parents who are in Fayetteville NC before they lose power too. I hope everyone stays safe!
@DWDavis (12874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
You should be able to get through. I don't think the storm has quite reached them yet.
Stay Safe. My friend's aunt has made her way from the coast and is at her niece's house. I am sure she is worried about the pets she had to leave behind, though she did make sure they were as secure as they could be. We haven't experienced anything here yet. A little bit of wind, but no gusts out of the ordinary. The last time I checked, we expect more later this evening.
@DWDavis (12874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I'm so sorry your friend's aunt had to leave pets behind. I know she will worry over them.
@DWDavis I am sure she is. She has a stranger looking after her chickens further inland. I am just glad that she was able to get up here. I'm pretty sure she left early this morning to get here.
@DWDavis (12874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@ScribbledAdNauseum My sister and parents live in a relatively high part of Pamlico County and are fostering a number of animals.
@topffer (35528)
• France
Is your place relatively safe, or are you expecting stronger winds ? Take care of yourself !
@DWDavis (12874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
We are relatively safe here. Well above any high water from surge or floods. We are expecting much stronger winds, though. We've prepared as best we can. Now, only to wait and see what nature has in store.
The winds are starting to pick up good here to, I'm about 50 miles from Myrtle Beach. Like you, I'm also about sure we will be without power and it maybe for a while once they go out.
@DWDavis (12874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Y'all take care. I'm sure you're as ready as you can be, as are we.
@DWDavis You to. Yea, I'm as ready as I can be right now, all we can do it just wait now.
@Namelesss (1494)
You stay safe as well. Do what you have you do. Warm hugs
I have been watching those videos that CNN and other sites have been posting on the Net. Take care.
More positive thoughts and prayers coming to all who are being affected by this hurricane.
Time to hunker down and stay indoors I guess. I hope the power stays on for a while.
@DWDavis (12874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
So far so good, but I can hear the wind picking up outside. Never a good sign as far as keeping the power on.
@DWDavis I've been away so I'm not sure of the current situation except I heard there was flooding in North Carolina. I need to get to some recent posts.
@DWDavis (12874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@JudyEv Some areas are in serious jeopardy of massive flooding on a perhaps historic level to rival Hurricane Matthew from two years ago. Many roads are cut off because they washed away or are flooded over, including some major highways.
@bagarad (12614)
• Paso Robles, California
I'll be praying for you and those around you. I appreciate your first-hand reports. I hope the storm won't be as bad as folks expect.
@DWDavis (12874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
So far the coast has taken the brunt of the storm but the forecast for our area overnight is looking grim.
@bagarad (12614)
• Paso Robles, California
@DWDavis I hope your family survives with no damage or injuries.
@DWDavis (12874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@bagarad Thank you. My parents and youngest sister are close to the coast but on high ground. So far they are doing okay.
My prayers are with you. Stay safe.
@DWDavis (12874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Thank you. As of this moment we still have power. The lights have begun to flicker on occasion though. We'll see what the next few hours bring.
@DWDavis I hope everything is still good for you.
@DWDavis (12874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@just4him So far we are doing well. Power is still on, thank goodness. Winds and rain are heavy at the moment.
Thank you for your post, I am watching the news looks like more to come.
@DWDavis (12874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
The main part of the wind and rain arrived here earlier this morning. We are about 90 miles (145km) from where the storm made landfall.
@DWDavis Wow, hope you will be ok.
@DWDavis (12874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@popciclecold We made it through okay. Lost power for about a day. Lots of small and medium sized limbs down and a couple of trees down in our woods. House, truck, and camper are okay.
I notice a vehicle on the street. Shouldn't it be in the garage?
@DWDavis (12874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Our garage only holds one vehicle and that will be my wife's car when she gets home. Then I'll move my truck right in front of the garage door and hope for the best.
@DWDavis thank goodness you at least have a garage for one of them. My neighbors and I have to just hope for the best where our cars are concerned. None of us have a garage.
@DWDavis (12874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@sweetashoney The last tropical storm we had there was still so much junk in the garage that both vehicles had to stay outside. After that, we made an effort to clear out the garage so her car could be sheltered.
@Platespinner (17046)
we've had a few drizzles of rain and some light wind gusts starting to stir. We don't expect things to really get going until tonight.
@DWDavis (12874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Fixed it. Thanks.
@DWDavis You're welcome. I deleted that part of my comment so you can remove the rest of the evidence if you are so inclined.
@DWDavis (12874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@Platespinner I'll leave it. It will make folks wonder what it is I fixed.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
Stay safe. How far away from Aurora are you?
@DWDavis (12874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I'm guessing 70 miles from Aurora to here. Do you know someone in Aurora?
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@DWDavis other half has family there or did.
@DWDavis (12874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@thislittlepennyearns If they are still living there, I hope they evacuated.
@ptrikha_2 (9550)
Be safe. Have you been told to evacuate and move to other place. Well, I can see another update : and I can see a lot of flooding in the picture, and rescue work too has started. Praying to God that all are safe.
Hurricane Florence has made landfall in North Carolina, but its crawling pace and overwhelming storm surges are setting up hours and hours of destruction and human suffering -- with dozens desperately awaiting rescue in one flooded city alone.
@DWDavis (12874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
We did not evacuate as we are above the flood plain.
@ptrikha_2 (9550)
@DWDavis how is the current situation?
• Pamplona, Spain
Have been seeing this on the weather forecast as she does an international bit and it looks set to be a rough one. With luck it will fizz itself out somewhere safe for everyone and really hope so.
@DWDavis (12874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
The storm is churning its way slowly forward toward my hometown of Wilmington, NC and should make landfall in the next hour. I'm 90 miles (145km) from there and we are getting strong winds and lots of rain right now.
• Pamplona, Spain
@DWDavis Stay as safe as you can then and hope no one comes to any harm.
@UncleJoe (10617)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I've been monitoring a series of live web cams from Virginia Beach all the way down to Myrtle Beach but haven't seen any significant issues yet. Even the surf isn't very big.
@DWDavis (12874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Just saw footage from New Bern. Union Point Park and Front Street are under water from the surge and high tide is coming back in a few hours. It's a mess there.
@LeaPea2417 (21543)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Here in Georgia, we are suppose to get rain on Sunday and Monday. You are in my prayers.
@DWDavis (12874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Thank you for your prayers. I hope all y'all get is a little rain.
We have had lots of rain and flooding but nothing compared to this awful weather you and others down south have had to go through. I really hope you won't be hit to hard by this storm. Stay safe!
@DWDavis (12874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
We've done all we can to be ready. Now it's up to Florence to move on through and be on her way.
@wolfgirl569 (8311)
• Marion, Ohio
Still thinking of you and others there. The photo looks like it is hazy in your area.
@DWDavis (12874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
The haze was the rain at that time. We've had three or four bands of rain blow through during the day, maybe more, but the sustained rainfall is still on its way.
@sugartoes (41946)
• Greencastle, Indiana
the Weather channel is talking it MAY take "WEEKS" before the powers comes back on so what ever you have in your FRIDGE that won't last you better start eating it up.
@DWDavis (12874)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
We plan to clean out our freezer and fridge before we start in on the canned goods.