Back To myLot After a Scary Experience

The entry hall of our local hospital
Switzerland
I have not been here yesterday afternoon. I have been very unwell and I had to be rushed to the hospital. What exactly happened? With my after lunch coffee, I ate a biscuit and it surely contained traces of peanuts. I am allergic to peanuts and I immediately had a severe reaction. My blood pressure seriously dropped, I felt dizzy, I could not stop from sneezing and I had a great difficulty to breath. My husband put me in the car and brought me to the ER. The doctor immediately gave me an epinephrine injection and put me to rest until I was back on my feet. I am well today, no consequences, but I got a big scare. Have you ever experienced an allergic reaction to food?
I'm very sorry to hear this, Anna. How awful for you. A allergy to peanuts is very serious indeed. Do you, or will you now, carry an Epipen with you? I'm pleased you are okay again now.
Thank you Judy, I will carry an Epipen with me, here it is mandatory to mention the peanuts in the ingredients, but I bought the product in Italy.
@LadyDuck I think it must be mandatory here too as many things say they are processed where there may be nut residue or whatever.
@JudyEv Not all countries have strict laws and rules about this.
@josie_ (8018)
Although I am not aware of any food I am allergic to, I can understand your need to be extra careful of the food you eat. Has this happen before? I'm glad you're OK.
I know that I am allergic to peanuts, I always check the labels. In the past it happened that a small quantity gave me stomach crams and skin reaction. This has been the most severe reaction I experienced.
@josie_ (8018)
@LadyDuck _You mention just eating "a biscuit" It must have been loaded with peanuts to cause such an intense reaction. I'm also wondering if age and the weakening of our immune system has anything to do with the severity
@josie_ May be it was made using "peanut flour", it was a medium size biscuit and I started to feel bad after a few minutes I had it. Usually one peanut is enough to make me immediately sick.
@1hopefulman (33575)
Glad you're well today! That was scary. As far as I know I have no food allergies, but I know that they can be dangerous and even fatal, especially peanut allergies. Please take every precaution that you can take.
I will never buy that brand again, they should have mentioned the peanuts.
@1hopefulman (33575)
@LadyDuck Maybe you should led them know what happened as it might kill someone.
@1hopefulman I will and if they do not reply, I inform the authorities.
@myklj999 (19858)
Damn...that could have been a very bad situation. Not...I'm just allergic to not having food.
Not having food is not something I appreciate. I confess that I panicked when I was unable to breath. We are lucky, the hospital is 2 miles from home.
• Preston, England
wow, that does sound scary. Glad you are alright. To my knowledge I am allergy free
I am glad you have no allergies Arthur, the allergy reaction can be pretty scary.
• Preston, England
@LadyDuck yes I have been very lucky
@arthurchappell Sometimes you do not know until you find something that makes you uncomfortable.
@topffer (36370)
• Djibouti, Djibouti
I am glad that you feel alright today. I think it is mandatory in the EU to give a list of all potential allergens on food. Have you also an allergy to peanut oil or only to peanuts ?
I also thought that in was mandatory in the EU, I have to think that Italy (as usually) does not care. I also have an allergy to peanut oil and this is more tricky, because they always mention "vegetable oil".
@topffer (36370)
• Djibouti, Djibouti
@LadyDuck Italy should care. You may start a trial if the label says nothing about allergens.
@topffer I see no mention to the fact that the product contains peanuts. I was checking the Italian law about allergens and I see that the new law must be applied starting from May 9, 2018. I checked and the "LOT" of biscuits is stamped April 2018, expiry date April 2019. No luck!
@ridingbet (60653)
Oh goodness. That was why I haven't seen or read anything from you yesterday. I read somewhere that you were not feeling well. I didn't expect you were brought to the hospital due to severe allergic reaction. The difficult breathing is a bad reaction, it may cause laryngeal spasm. Did you have a puffy face? I hope not. Please take good care of yourself.
I did not have a puffy face, I was coughing and unable to get my breath. I am fine now, thank you Ingrid.
@ridingbet (60653)
@LadyDuck so, you really have to check on the contents of anything you eat, maybe there are traces of peanuts added.
@ridingbet As I cook everything from scratch, I usually have no problems with the fresh ingredients I buy. When I buy a cake, or cookies I have to check carefully the ingredients. I do not buy ready made meals, I am sure I would have plenty of problems with them.
Oh no! I am glad your husband is a quick thinker and got you help, do you carry an eppie pen? Yes I do and I have been rushed to the e.r. when the milk people put new preservatives in milk I broke out in whelps all over, itched like crazy, then my tongue began to swell. I had to stay in the hospital a week!
I had an EpiePen and I do not remember where it is. Tomorrow I buy one and I place in the pharmacy cabinet. You had a serious problem, a full week in the hospital is not funny.
@LadyDuck That was when I was young, That is why I do not drink milk
@andriaperry I never drink cow milk, it gives me stomach aches.
• Uzbekistan
Poor you! I didn't know that the reaction sets in so quickly. I once had an allergic reaction to aspirin, but it was slower. One cheek and my throat became thick and bloated and I stayed in hospital for one night so that my breathing could be watched and I wouldn't suffocate.
I have to be extremely careful with aspirin, I am not allergic, but it gives me horrible stomach ache.
@vandana7 (68535)
I did not even know that people could be allergic to aspirin. Is it a continues allergy in the sense, every time you take aspirin, any dosage, you suffer it?
@vandana7 Aspirin is not as safe as many think, it is a blood thinner, so people should be careful. I get terrible stomach ache if I take an aspirin. It is on my medical "microchip" among things that I cannot have.
That certainly is a very scary experience but so happy that you are okay.I'm not allergic to anything as far as I know
I was scared, at first I was only annoyed by the sneezing and the light head, but when I could not breath I was scared.
wow that was very scary there.Quick thinking there.No I am not allergic to any food that I know of
You are lucky Alfredo, I have this serious problem with peanuts.
@simplfred (5887)
I have no allergy with food. I'm glad you are okay now.
I am fine now thank you, but I ate nothing ready made today.
@Morleyhunt (21409)
Never anything that required a trip to the ER. Glad that you are okay.
I am glad that you have nothing that could knock you down.
@RubyHawk (30432)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I'm glad you are okay, I've never had a bad reaction to food but I did have a bad reaction to morphine when I was in the hospital and neither can I have epinephrine. I had a bad reaction when I had another surgery. I see signs on most foods saying there are no peanuts, and others saying foods with peanuts are manufactured at the same place.
Peanuts were not supposed to be in the cookie I ate, the peanuts were not mentioned among the ingredients. I am furious and I have sent an email to this company.
@RubyHawk (30432)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@LadyDuck Yes, you should have let them know. It could have killed you. You're lucky that you got help quickly and are okay now.
@RubyHawk It is mandatory now in Europe to list allergens, I am checking this matter with them.
@kobesbuddy (57416)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Oh Anna, this is terrible! I'm so sorry you had this happen, but also I'm glad you are all right now. A peanut allergy is serious, a person can die from this! Yes, I'm allergic to red sea food, my throat swells and my face gets beet red, my ears start ringing like crazy. This might be my BP, I don't really know. If I eat coconut, I always develop a boil somewhere.
Thank you Kharla. It is a terrible sensation, you gasp for air and you feel you cannot breath, it's horrible. I know several people allergic to seafood.
@kobesbuddy (57416)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@LadyDuck My mother ended up in the ER different times, when someone ELSE had ordered seafood in a restaurant. Even the odor affected her!
@kobesbuddy This was extremely serious. I have a friend who gets sick if someone wears perfume.
@nela13 (9357)
• Portugal
I am so sorry Anna, I am glad you are well now. As far as I know I am not allergic to any food
I was furious because they did not mention peanuts on the package, I would have not eaten the cookie.
@nela13 (9357)
• Portugal
@LadyDuck yes, usually it is always mentioned because there are a lot of people who are allergic.
@nela13 Peanuts are part of the so called "allergens" and the EU new rules now requires that the allergens are mentioned on the labels (peanuts, soy, nuts, lactose, gluten...).
Oh, that was a very scary incident for you. I have never had an allergic reaction to food. Do you have an epinephrine pen at home, just in case?
I cannot fine my EpiPen, I am going to buy a new one tomorrow and I will stop eating cookies sold in supermarkets.
@LadyDuck Oh good. So glad you will get a new EpiPen. Such a frightening experience for you.
@Corbin5 I have my EpiPen now, I was so scared that I do not want to take risks.
Way too many times to count and the ambulance had to treat me on the spot. The one that scared em the most was the ambulance brought me in for an apendex bursting. They gave me meds that I was alergic to so they then had to give me allergy meds. That knocked me out as I was in and out they were working on me. I had emergency operation within that time. It was a mess. I was not aware I was allergic to terryaki and it sent me to the er three time before I learned.
Oh my goodness, an appendix burst is already serious enough without adding the problem of the medications. That was surely a serious and bad experience for you. About Teriyaki it is surely one of the ingredients, the meat is broiled or grilled, so the problem is in the sauce, may be the soy sauce or the mirin.
@LadyDuck The worst part was that I was in a deep sleep due to mental meds. I was screaming in my sleep and my cat who was not allowed on the bed. would not get off my stomach. I was thankful not to be alone. I am more than blessed my ex-was there. I would not want that on my worst enemy.
@sharon6345 This sounds horrible, I hope this will never happen again.
@flapiz (7007)
Thankfully your well. I have a lot of food allergies but the reactions aren’t as severe as yours. I just get bad skin.
This is the first time that I have a such serious reaction, I hope it will never happen again.
@flapiz (7007)
@LadyDuck Were you given an epipen to use in case of emergencies?
@flapiz Yes, they gave me one. I already had one, but I was so much in panic that I could not remember where it was.
@velvet53 (17709)
• Palisade, Colorado
I am sorry to hear this. I am glad that your husband was there to get you to the ER before things got worse. Take care of yourself and be careful.
Thank you, I am fine now, I had no consequences, thanks to my husband.
@velvet53 (17709)
• Palisade, Colorado
@LadyDuck That is wonderful! I am not allergic to anything so I don't know how that feels at all.
@velvet53 Some food only give me skin rash, or minor stomach problems (like aspirin), my only serious problem are peanuts.