Using inappropriate language

The other day we took our granddaughter out for dinner. The waitress used the "f" work because he couldn't figure something out. I was quite offended but before I could say anything my 10 year old grand daughter spoke up and said "that is very inappropriate." He never even apologized. When we were eating she said I would like to talk to the manager because nobody should talk that way at work in front of customers. I was quite proud of her for speaking up. I agreed. There is a time and place for everything and that wasn't the time or the place. Would you be offended if somebody who served you swore in front of you, your children or grandchildren?
• Lenox, Georgia
I do agree that it was not appropriate to speak that way, especially in a professional setting and in front of a child.
I was really shocked he would do that.
• Eugene, Oregon
That is certainly not appropriate in any retail situation.
No not at all.
That is not the right way to talk in a place where you work in front of any one of any age.
I totally agree.
It is just not done and yes that would spoil my day
It did but I felt proud that she stepped up and expressed her feelings.
@Happy2BeMe I noticed that oo
Isn't it amazing that a little girl recognized and had to speak up about the unprofessionalism of that worker. She'll go far. Did she speak with the manager? He may want her resume for a job when she's old enough with strong worth ethics and morales such as that.
Thanks she did and I felt so proud.
@Tina30219 (37617)
• Onaway, Michigan
Yes I would be offended. Your granddaughter is a very bright girl. Did you let her talk to the manager?
Yes I did and I was so proud of the way she handled things.
@Happy2BeMe she did? how did the manager react?
@hereandthere he was very nice to her and apologized and said he would deal with it.
Yes, I am . You must be very proud of her for knowing how to handle this at her age.
Thanks yes I am. She is wise beyond her years.
I would have been offended and I would have asked to speak to the manager. Congratulations to your granddaughter.
Thank you.
@sofssu (18448)
Oh yes, I would definitely be offended. The restaurant falls in the hospitality industry and people need to be trained for service.
I agree.
@Starmaiden (7791)
Your daughter would make an excellent lawyer/advocate someday. Speaking up for justice.
Yes she would be.
Yes, I would have had him fired, that is despicable to speak that way especially in front of kids.
I agree, doing it in front my children makes it even worse.
Of course. Your granddaughter even at 10 is quite grown up and knows right from wrong but other children or smaller children just pick up the bad words and then think it is alright to use them. That waiter should have been severely reprimanded.
I agree.
• Nigeria
Of course, I would be offended because it is wrong and unpleasant. So what happened in the long run? Did your grand daughter eventually talk to the manager?
Yes she did and he apologized and said he would deal with it.
• Nigeria
@Happy2BeMe For real? That's very good. Am glad the girl spoke up in the first place!
I wholly agree. And I congratulate your granddaughter. I am offended because now all movies are plagued by inappropriate language.
I hate that so many movies are that way. It really ruins them I think.
@Happy2BeMe People are copying that language and it is a shame.
@Bensen32 (856)
Like you say there is a time and place, I personally don't care or get offended but working with the public you have to watch what you say, you never know who is going to take offense. What did the manager have to say about it?
He was very nice and apologized and said he would deal with it and thanked her for letting him know.
@Bensen32 (856)
@Happy2BeMe well at least he said he would do something.
@debjani1 (3933)
Thats not fair. Everybody should be careful about the place and the situation before using some inappropriate words. That really unforgivable.
I think so too.
@debjani1 (3933)
Honestly. Its just a word to me. I say it alot myself, especially when out in public. But I know alot of people dont care for swear words.
It each their own. I don't mind it with adults but I never use it around children.
@Happy2BeMe i try not to but sometimes the mood is there and it happens. Oh well. Most hear it from their parents anyways. Least around here
Agree that it was inappropriate. I wouldn't be offended if I was by myself but if there were kids around, I would certainly speak up.
Yes around kids makes it all the worse.
@betlynfrnds (1705)
I would be very offended. My husband and I have walked out of restaurants for problems much less than inappropriate, foul language. Good for your grand daughter. I'm proud of her too.
Thank you. It is sad that some places allow such behaviour from their employees.
@Happy2BeMe That's true. Then some people wonder what is wrong with youths these days.
I agree, work is not the place to use that kind of language and most importantly that kind of language should never be used around children.
I agree.