Rosie - a neighbourly dog

Bunbury, Australia
Nana (@Nana49) wrote recently about a dog that visits her regularly and how much she enjoys Izzy’s visits. The discussion (I’ll post the link below) made me remember Rosie, a Border Collie which would visit us regularly. She lived with her elderly neighbour and would travel the half-mile or so to drop by and say hello. When she had been sociable for a while she’d move on down the hill to the neighbours’ then on to the next one and eventually work her way back home. This was her routine every three or four weeks. She liked you to throw sticks for her but she wouldn’t bring them back. You were expected to throw another one and she’d gather them all in her mouth until no more would fit. Have you had animals visit you on a regular basis, spend a little time then go on their way again?
I woke up late around 10 30. Opened my blinds to see a small skift of snow ... Then i heard a scratch on my door ..with joy i ran to me door because i knew who...
She is a nice friendly dog. I have four young cats that visit every day. Here are two of them, the name of the ginger is Bubi, I do not know the names of the others.
They are good-looking cats. I like the markings of the grey and white one.
awww Bubi is adorable! Both of them are adorable! i have a black cat (not Onnie) who sleeps on my front porch and I feel so bad for her but the shelter where I adopted Onnie said no other pets in the house with him. if my sister even would let him in?
@JudyEv They are both lovely, the grey and white one is a furry cat, very long hair.
Not in my neighborhood, someone would call the pound if a dog ran loose like that.
This was a few years ago and out in the sticks. I don't like them running about like this either but we did enjoy her visits.
The pound even goes out into the county here @JudyEv there are so many people who just let their dogs run loose which to me is not right. I keep Ally inside with me when I'm home and if she wants to go outside I have a fence around my property.
@rebelann Before keeping your dog confined became law, I had several instances where my pet sheep were savaged by stray dogs.
@wolfgirl569 (19029)
• Marion, Ohio
We had a tom cat once that roamed between me and 2 other neighbors. We all had different names for him and he knew them all.
I bet he was well fed.
@wolfgirl569 (19029)
• Marion, Ohio
@JudyEv He was a very healthy boy
We have a few cats that hang around here. They come by most dsys and then they are off again. The place where I use to live the neighbors dog would always come over for a visit when they left him outside. He would come to the door and bark and we would open the door and he would come right in. He'd stay awhile and then he would want to go out and he would go back home. They knew he was with us when he wasn't home.
It's nice when animals do that. I would have felt privileged that he visited in that way.
@JudyEv I did. It use to make me smile when I would see him coming across the yard. There was a trail from their house to ours.
@Nana49 (1224)
Thank you so much for posting this and mentioning me means alot .. And the link .. Rosie is very pretty I live in an apartment so me and izzy dont get to play fetch but there is s field out back she comes thru that i can play with her in the summer ..thanks again for a lovely story..
You're welcome. I think it is lovely that Izzy visits. I'd almost forgotten about Rosie so thanks for the reminder.
@UncleJoe (12162)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
My neighbor has a black and white Pomeranian named Oreo, that always stopps to say hello on his way to the park. I I had my choice it would be a Border Collie but Becky won't allow dogs in the house because they scare all her chickens.
Well, we can't have the chickens being scared can we? And Oreo sounds a very appropriate name.
@josie_ (8133)
I would love to have own a dog like Rosie, it certainly beats collecting firewood ourselves.
Haha, true. But you had to convince her to put them down.
@Fleura (8317)
I forgot to say that when I lived on a boat I used to get visits from a family of swans. They came every day and they would peck on my door for an answer.
How cool is that? Did you feed them?
@Fleura (8317)
@JudyEv Yes of course. They knew where I lived and if they saw me setting off down the path they would swim round and be there waiting when I got home. A couple of times I also had to rescue one of them from various hazards. Gave my neighbours a scare on one occasion, but that's another story!
@Fleura You should write about it and put it on here. I'd love to read about it.
Dogs aren't supposed to run loose in our neighbourhood, but Nessie has a few friends that are occasionally deployed to lure her back when she slips the leash. And she's been used to help out a neighbour in the same predicament. We do seem to be a magnet for stray cats. In addition to our horde we are visited occasionally by the Phantom Yowler and the Skinny Moonie.
Do you have a horse that visits? I've pricked my ears so to speak!
@JudyEv No horse, just a bad case of not checking to make sure I used the correct word. I'm going to blame autocorrect...
@SophiaMorros Oh Horde!! I should have been able to work that out! I turned auto correct off. I can make enough of my own mistakes without autocorrect helping me.
@dya80dya (10305)
Yes, but they didn't visit me. They visited other animals.
Some animals are very sociable aren't they?
@dya80dya (10305)
@JudyEv Yes. They visit each other. We have lots of cats outside that visit each other. Even a dog wants to visit my outdoors dog.
Nice photo. We have cats and they are regular visitors.
I know you have a lot of cats that visit. Rosie never looked for food.
@JudyEv Cute looking thing that one
@Ronrybs (8408)
• London, England
I used to live on a farm and the farmer's cat would call on me regularly. They got on with my moggie, as well
Cats soon work out who their friends are - or who's a soft touch.
@Ronrybs (8408)
• London, England
@JudyEv CJ, the cat from next door, will pop in when the windows are open, but he doesn't like to get too close
When I was very young and lived on a farm for a couple of years, we had a dachshund, Casey, he was a barker. Across the road lived a mutt, Timber. He was a big dog. He liked to come to visit every day. He came to visit Casey and Casey would bark and carry on until Timber would turn to go home, then Casey would bark some more and you could see Timber turn and come back. It was fun to watch them.
Oh how cute. Timber must have known what Casey was saying.
@JudyEv He must have as Timber always complied and stayed.
@Nevena83 (13755)
• Serbia
It's such a wonderful story. Animals always show more love than a man.
They are very loyal aren't they and have unconditional love for their owners.
@Nevena83 (13755)
• Serbia
@JudyEv You're right.
Before there are so many stray dogs come to visit my yeard. Now it is not allowed since there is a city ordinance about this concern.
Stray dogs would be picked by the ranger here now too. Dogs aren't allowed to road like Rosie any more.
@JudyEv I do agree with such an ordinance. One of my dogs was stolen because someone let the gate opened.
@aureliah (22468)
• Kenya
What a nice cat. Traveling a long distance just to say hello
Except it's a dog.
@CarolDM (15476)
Yes mainly cats visit. Drives my indoor cats crazy.
i can imagine it would.
@Ronrybs (8408)
• London, England
My sister's cat was rarely home. I'm sure she was out visiting all the neighbour's.
I was just thinking of a dog who used to visit us from time to time when we were kids. He was a white male German Shepherd who liked to watch us play. We even named him. He had a real home somewhere..but would visit periodically. He loved eating sandwiches..I remember that!
Perhaps he was a bit lonely. I wonder what his favourite filling was.
@Fleura (8317)
That's nice. No we don't really get any domestic animal visitors - but then they are not free-ranging around here, except cats. We get wild visitors but they are not really visiting us, just enjoying our garden!
In the built-up areas dogs are not allowed to stray - and this was some years ago.