when buying vegetables at the supermarket

supermarket vegetables by hereandthere2019
growing up, when we went to the wet market, we bought baskets - one for the fruits, vegetables, rootcrops (dry with dirt), one for the fish, chicken and pork (wet, slimy, smelly!). there was only one big supermarket, but it was more for packaged, canned, bottled and processed food. decades pass and now the supermarket has changed. we can now buy chilled and frozen fish, chicken, pork and vegetables. we enjoy the airconditioning, our stuff in a pushcart, the floor isn't wet, they are packed in plastic bags with a logo. what the modern supermarket has an abundance of, i notice, is clingwrap and scotchtape. they wrap and tape everything so much that it can take a while to remove. do these add to nonbiodegradable trash? i mean i can't imagine clingwrap and tape being recycle. on the tray, clockwise, are talong (eggplant), cauliflower, bell pepper, brocolli, kalabasa (squash) and sitaw (long string beans). what do you call them in your language? are vegetables sold like this where you live?
Same as described by @topffer some are even more packaged, but I can buy fresh vegetables not packaged. I place in a plastic bag the quantity I want to buy, I weight and I place the ticked on the bag.
@topffer (37792)
• France
I heard last month that a youngster bought a game console like that : he put it in a plastic bag for vegetables, weighted it, and paid his vegetables at an automatic cash desk without a cashier. He was caught the day after, when he tried to buy two new game consoles for the price of potatoes again.
@topffer The guy was creative. I have read today that in Italy 22 Ikea workers have been caught changing the labels on the most expensive items that their "friends" paid at the self cash out. This happens all the time in Italy.
@topffer (37792)
• France
@LadyDuck He was creative, and it shows also how weak are these cash desks without a cashier, there is nobody to control what is in the fruits/vegetables bags... It was already a problem when I worked 2 months in a hypermarket as a security guard 40 years ago (a holiday job) : even without changing a label, an employee could omit an article or two in the shopping basket of another employee. We were supposed to control their purchase when they were ending their day : I never did it, it was stupid, they could as well come back an hour later like normal clients...
@Mavic123456 (18727)
• Thailand
as much as possible, i buy vegetables in the wet market or local market i also hate the idea of wrapping it by cling wrap but i know it is protection also in other case we recycle clingwrap by wrapping also half sliced onions and sometimes i used it to keep soap for traveling.
i think you can also do that with fruits, like half an avocado. that's a good idea wrapping soap when travelling.
@Mavic123456 (18727)
• Thailand
@hereandthere yup because of the small soap that i bring in the bag. also good for avocado. but we do recycle these wraps.
@topffer (37792)
• France
We can have even more packaging : they sell vegetables in plastic boxes wrapped with plastic. Like most of this plastic cannot be recycled, and people are sensible to that, bulk selling of fruits and vegetables is also coming back.
yeah, i forgot about the plastic tray, plastic egg containers, etc.
@Mavic123456 (18727)
• Thailand
so agree with you.. i hate it when they put the mushroom on the styrofoam...
@topffer (37792)
• France
@hereandthere Eggs are in cardboard boxes in France, it can be recycled easily.
Vegetables and fruits where we shop are not wrapped with cling wrap. We just choose the vegetables and fruits and place how much we want of each type in plastic bags located in the produce section. We do buy frozen fruits and veggies stored in the store freezers that are already in plastic bags on occasion.
@hereandthere We do not have regular vegetables in plastic bags. They are in bins and when I choose something I put it in one of the plastic bags they have there for the customers.
that's good. less plastic and tape.
@hereandthere Ours are out in the open and can see how they look.
• Pamplona, Spain
Sadly we cannot buy much loose stuff and I how I wish they would and I always put this plastic in the plastic recycle bin hoping that they will do as they say and really recycle it not just say that they do and then they donĀ“t do it. I try to buy loose all I can but its a challenge.
i agree. we trust them but there's also that tiny doubt it's not 100%
• Pamplona, Spain
@hereandthere We can only try and trust them and seeing as none of us knows how to transform this plastic stuff into something else its them should take on the care of transforming it safely and with harm to no one.
@garymarsh6 (15716)
They do sell many things wrapped in plastic which look clean and sterile but they also sell fruit and vegetables loose so you can pick your own. We tend to buy ours loose and not packaged.
@nela13 (15047)
• Portugal
I rarely buy vegetables as my parents plant almost all that we eat.
yes, i remember. and you can be sure they're organic.
@nela13 (15047)
• Portugal
@hereandthere yes, that is the best part
@nela13 how do you call these vegetables in portuguese?
@Beatburn (4202)
No wonder we are the biggest consumers of plastic in the world. Will we ever solve our plastic problem?
if we are then why are there containers of trash being sent to other countries?
@YrNemo (16421)
No way! you are treated like royals there . Supermarkets and veggies stores here have everything freshly in a pile or so, we buyers come, choose, then pay for the purchases by weight, etc. (only to fruits and veggies)
some days i buy my veggies and fruits at the supermarket. most days i walk to our neighborhood seller and buy from her. on weekends that we're free, i ask my husband to drive me to the market so i can do some fruit shopping. :)
@acelawrites (15005)
I still buy fresh fish from the wet market because it is cheaper and fresher than those packed in clingwrap, etc. I also thought of too much plastics they are using and sometimes it is really hard to remove the clingwrap and tape they are using. annoys me when am in a hurry cooking!
There is so much plastic packaging waste - and even though we have a recycling bin along with trash bins, it seems so many folks do not think about recycling as much as they should. We have the whole array of packaging anywhere, but I like to pick and choose without the packaging, which fresh vegetables and fruits often are here. Certain markets seem to have certain specialty items shrink wrapped like this.
Yes at many stores and I do not like it, they will turn a rot spot to the bottom, wrap it and you do not know till you get home, I stopped buying like that because those items are not recyclable and I do not buy rotting food.
• Agra, India
Is clingwrap recycleable.? I'm still thinking
@janethwayne (2439)
Some groceries sell them unwrap and some do put some cling wraps.I think it is because they want to protect them to be mashed because some customers also just hold them and don't care and never handle them with care.