"Designer" Babies With Wanted Defects

I read a story on MSNBC.com about parents who WANT their children to have certain defects. These were parents who were deaf, or had dwarfism or other "defects" that aren't really looked at as being a severe defect. They feel they should be able to make sure that their child has the same "defects" as they do, and that by denying them that right doctors and others are "playing God." Aren't the real people trying to play God here the parents of these unborn children?
In my opinion... If we are letting people opt out of certain things, we might as well let people opt in. As Ted mentioned, certain things are considered a culture. You probably saw news about the hub bub pertaining to the deaf college (Gallaudet University) where students were protesting because the newly appointed school official "wasn't deaf enough" (according to that school official)... http://www.nbc4.com/news/10110109/detial.html I can understand being proud of the fact that you work to overcome obstacles, but if you are going to have a child why would you seek out those same obstacles for that child? We people do some really selfish things.