name change

United States
January 6, 2007 9:30pm CST
can a person change their entire name leagally or just parts of their name
2 responses
• Canada
7 Jan 07
In Canada you can change your entire name or just parts of it. For example, I'm going through the process of getting my oldest son's last name changed from my maiden name to that of my husband's (his father's). When I got married, I seriously considered combining my name with my husband's to create a hybrid of both our last names (changed my mind though).
@patgalca (14641)
• Orangeville, Ontario
7 Jan 07
Actors do it all the time. Of course you can legally change your name. You apply and have a new birth certificate issued. But keep all the paperwork. And I am pretty sure it will cost you money. Sometimes you have to list someone that should be notified. After my divorce I went back to my maiden name. I had them notify my ex-husband that I was doing so (though I really don't think he needed to know). I do not know if this is the same in all countries though.